Blake&Owensmom

Default french immersion school

Hi, I have a four year old son, and I am debating whether or not to send him to a French Immersion School next September. Both my DH and myself are NOT fluent in French, and I am concerned that I will not be able to help him with his homework.
    Does anyone have a child in French Immersion, who could let me know if it is a good idea or not?

Thanks!

bleuhorizons

I went to the orientation for French Immersion last year at Princess Anne. I decided not to choose that option mainly because it just wasn't what I was looking for. I do not have other children in french immersion, I just felt that the only thing that stuck out was that its a lot of extra work. Its basically double curriculum. Mind you some families love it. I've spoke to a few who think its the best thing ever. I would tell your childs JK teacher that you are interested in learning more about it and they should be able to get you info for the information session which I think is Feb or March (can't remember). I found the session informative and helpful in making my decision. My understanding from the questions being asked at it were that children are expected to be fluent orally by the end of Grade 3. They do not require that either parent be fluent in the language in order for the child to attend and they explain it all at the session with pamphlets you can take home. Your childs current teacher should also be able to tell you if they are ready to start in SK. French immersion starting points are SK, or Grade 1 or extended French in Grade 7 and there are currently two high schools that offer it. Banting and Laurier.

Good luck with your decision.

My son is in French First Language and my dd will be one day too and I teach in French Immersion. If you want any info about French Immersion from a teacher's perspective or FFL from a parent and former student's perspective, please send me a pm. I would be happy to help.

Plus, I work with 2 other moms on this board who I am sure would be happy to offer their opinions.

If your child is suited for the program, it could be the best situation! I am all for teaching our children languages.

Yes, Immersion is harder. However, again if your child is suited for the program, it is no harder on the parent than a regular English school. We follow the Ontario Curriculum but teach the subjects in French. My hubby does not speak any French yet he can muddle through ds's homework in Math and Science with little problems. (Keep in mind ds is in a FFL program- not the same thing as Immersion)

My only advice- should any of you choose Immersion and the SK, Grade 1 etc teacher suggests that an English school would be better for your child, please listen to this advice.

GOod luck with your decision!
    mama to 3

Our son started in French Immersion SK this past fall (with no previous school experience). I have not spoken french since highschool and also was worried about being able to help him along. However, his teacher is the one that teaches the french and parents are to work on learning to read and write in english at home. So we read him stories, do letter and sound recognition, counting etc. At school he does the same thing in french. He brings home french books from the library and I try to read them, but if I can't, we make up a story. I am a big fan of the idea that learning a second language now, paves the way for learning other languages in the future and not to mention that it's easier at 4/5 to learn than when you are older. My older siblings started school in a core french school in Quebec and to this day are fluent - I didn't start until gr.5 and barely managed to muddle my way through.
    www.pamperedchef.biz/maryfurlan

Take Charge! Take Action! Ask me how easy it is to be your own boss!

Both of my dd's are in french immersion at Kensal Park and love it. I grew up in Ottawa and have some french background. My dh does not speak a word of french. I have had no problem helping them with their homework and all information sheets come home in English. There are always older students who will help tutor younger ones too. The information night at Kensal Park is February 13 at 7:00 pm. They are also at Westmount Mall on Saturday February 10th with a booth.

I too would talk to your childs teacher and see what their take on it is. Some kids will thrive in it and others will not.
    Loving mom to DD '99 and DD '01
    Proud foster mom to #4 and counting

Junior Member Simone+Luc=HappyMummy's Avatar

My DD is in SK at Lord ROberts and I love it...and so does she. She is much more stimulated and much less bored. The teacher and the principal speak to me in English and notes all come home in English so that's not a factor. When it comes time to help her with her french schoolwork, I have lots of french in me so I can't help you there BUT I am willing to bet that if you were to ask your dc's teachers, they would be able to provide a name of someone who can tutor or help with homework. I can't say enough good things about French Immersion. Don't worry about not knowing french. I look at it this way: My math skills are terrible, and once my kids get past about grade 5 math there is no way I will be able to help them...but I still want them to take math!! I will outsource math help!

HTH

Claire

Huron & Highbury... Betcha can't guess what city though!!

not being able to help with homework won't be a problem for a few years - and by that point your child will be able to explain TO YOU what they need to do.

My bro and I both went to french immersion, my parents don't speak french.

I now work for the government in a bilingual capacity - the advantages to knowing Canadas 2nd language are endless.
    Mama to 3 active, beautiful, energetic, and always entertaining children.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

Expert Forum User

I am also trying to figure out sending my dd to Imersion French School. I want to attend an info night- but am trying to sort out which school would be our home school. I have sent 2 emails to the TVDSB information contact person and have received 2 emails back. One saying my dd won't be starting until next sept (2008)- know that.....and that yes, there are boundaries for the schools......yes, know that, that is why I am emailing- to find out what they are, and where we fall. (WE are hoping/planning to move in the next few years)
    So if anyone has the info of the boundaries......please pass it on. I think I have figured out Kensall Park is West of Wharncliffe- south of the Thames, and that Jeanne Suave is North London. Neither is ours- South London white oaks area is what I am looking for.
    Thanks so much!
    Any other info/advice being passed along in this thread is much appreciated.
    Beth

Huron & Highbury... Betcha can't guess what city though!!

occasionally the boundries change, I believe, so they would likely be reluctant to give you specific information this far in advance... Not to mention that there are slated school closures etc. That's probably why you're kinda getting the run around right now... if your child isn't starting until Sept 2008 - I wouldn't worry too much about it until maybe January of NEXT year... I believe most areas are covered by bus systems to transport your child to the french school for your disctrict, even if it is further away than you expected.
    Mama to 3 active, beautiful, energetic, and always entertaining children.

DD ~ K ~ April 22, 2005
    DS1 ~ K ~ May 17, 2007
    DS1 ~ K ~ July 23, 2010

My sister went to Princess Anne all the way through & my Step mom doesn't speak it at all... I'm back & forth a lot but I'm really leaning towards sending Caleb....If they can handle it I think it's great....it would depend on your child & how you think they would do some kids aren't cut out for the extra & some are ....good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless in London
    I am also trying to figure out sending my dd to Imersion French School. I want to attend an info night- but am trying to sort out which school would be our home school. I have sent 2 emails to the TVDSB information contact person and have received 2 emails back. One saying my dd won't be starting until next sept (2008)- know that.....and that yes, there are boundaries for the schools......yes, know that, that is why I am emailing- to find out what they are, and where we fall. (WE are hoping/planning to move in the next few years)
    So if anyone has the info of the boundaries......please pass it on. I think I have figured out Kensall Park is West of Wharncliffe- south of the Thames, and that Jeanne Suave is North London. Neither is ours- South London white oaks area is what I am looking for.
    Thanks so much!
    Any other info/advice being passed along in this thread is much appreciated.
    Beth
    If you want to pm me your info, I can find out for you. Keeping in mind that things can change over the next year with the possibility of Princess Elizabeth starting a FI program in September.
    mama to 3

As momtoS&E eluded to earlier, I teach SK French Immersion and would be very happy to answer any questions regarding the program. Just send me a PM.

So far, the proposed boundaries for Princess Anne/Princess Elizabeth F.I are in this document on page 28. (It may take a while to download) http://www.tvdsb.on.ca/boardroom/2006/a2006oct24a.pdf

The information night schedule can be found at:
    http://www.tvdsb.on.ca/events/2007Fr...ntnights.shtml

Expert Forum User

Thanks so much Satin_Thoughts, mom2two and momtoS&E-things are starting to make sense.
    I checked the boundary map, and we would be in the Princess Elizabeth Boundary Area (I believe)....understanding that it is a proposal.
    I know it is a way off-sept 2008, but I am not one who likes to wait to get my ducks in order-not a leave it till the last moment type of person. I will try to attend a couple of sessions- princess anne and princess elizabeth, and if I do have any other questions will post/PM you.
    thanks again!
    Beth