SarahBeth

Default Any GOOD ped.'s taking new patients?

I'm on the hunt for a pediatrician. I didn't think I needed one as I really like my family dr. However, ever since Ava was born, I've been less than thrilled with the care/interest that he has in her. She's just a number and he wants us in and out really quickly so that he can see lots of patients in a day and make lots of $$. That's how he makes me feel with her (I don't get the same feeling for myself so maybe he just shouldn't deal with kids). Anyway, she was in this week for a check up and needle and I decided that I'm tired of having my concerns dismissed and being left feeling as though I have no clue what I'm talking about when I discuss Ava's health.

I did take her to a pediatrician in St. Thomas for a second opinion once but was not totally comfortable with the care we got there either. Really - I'm not that fussy or picky and don't think that every time Ava sneezes that she's sick, I just want someone who actually listens to me and seems to care! Is that too much to ask for?!

So - any suggestions?!

Banned

I was always under the impression that you couldn't just go to a pediatrician, you had to be referred.

Is that not the case?

Any time that I have seen a pediatrician I have been referred by my family doc, and then once the issue has been resolved, I go back to the family doc.

Good luck in your search! I had similar problems with the family doc we used to have and just completely changed family docs, which is nigh on impossible to do now.

I thought you had to be referred as well. We see a ped. in Kitchener because of a problem with Kellan's kidneys. He will answer questions that I have at Kell's appointments but won't take Kell on as a general ped without a referral.

Expert Forum User

You don't have to be referred if they are taking new patients. Although if they know you have a GP they may refuse you... I had that happen. I know there was a thread a while back about a ped. taking new patients but I can't remember the name off the top of my head.

Dr Ramadan??

Expert Forum User

You don't have to be referred to a ped as far as I know. Right before we had Julia I just called around and most Peds would take her on. Her Doctor is Dr. Manchanda (female) on Commissioners by Wharncliffe. I am sure she's taking new patients.
    Erica

Dr. Stoffman on Oxford Street by Waterloo. He's really nice, and as of the spring was taking new patients.
    Lori, Momma to Malcolm and Ben

Quote Originally Posted by momaswell View Post
    Dr Ramadan??
    He stopped accepting months ago. The day I called he wasn't accepting, and when I asked the receptionist when he stopped accepting new clients, she said the day before!
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I dealt with Ramadan when Dr. Kloth was on Mat leave and I was less than impressed, anyway. He had no clue how to deal with kids. Or at least, my kids.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

SarahBeth

Thanks ladies - I'll make some calls. Even if I do need a referral I know my dr. will give me one.

Thanks so much!