Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blue Butterfly

Default French Immersion, anyone?

Just curious to know if there are any other mom's with SK'ers starting at Lord Roberts this fall. DD starts her "staggered entry" on the 4th, and we're very excited about her going there. I like that the school is arts focused - right up her alley. I hope the immersion won't be too much for her, but I'm willing to take the chance.

Anyone else?

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Well not to get hopes up that we are another family there... because we are not... but I wanted to say that I have heard some really really great things about that school. In fact if I could choose to send my daughter there when she goes to school I would be. Unfortunately we bought our house in the wrong area for our school preferences and now dd will be stuck going to Princess Elizabeth. No offence to anyone currently there or working there... it just was not my first choice... and especially not for FI. However.. trhat is a bit off topic... Lord Roberts ... two thumbs up... good luck!!
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

girlsmum

I highly endorse anyone placing their child in french immersion, I am fluent in both english and french and when we moved to London, Princess Anne was just down the street persay and it was by sheer luck that I was able to get her into french immersion *extended*, I couldn't put her in as an extended back in Guelph, but our girls will start from JK in french immersion. I should put an ad up for anyone looking for anyone needing french assistance for their child,LOL! I have a friend who is going to start in a year with hers and I'm going to put together some french posters for her DD with numbers, letters, animals, home item names, etc.
    WAY TO GO on your decision, I'm sure your LO will love it, maybe I should have a callsign on the forum as "francomummy".
    And you'd be surprised how much easier it is for a young child to learn another language than for an older one, I'm proof of that, I learned both at the same time as a baby!

Expert Forum User

Mackenzie is going to JK this year, but next year we're sending her to Kensal park. I'm not fluent, but did take French all the way through highschool. I think it will be very beneficial.

Junior Member Simone+Luc=HappyMummy's Avatar

Simone went to Lord Roberts for SK and I LOVED it. It's a great school, and she eats all that French up!! Since we've moved she'll be going to Kensal Park now, but it's also French Immersion.
    Claire

dd 18/08/01
    ds 28/03/06

http://www.clapwithclaire.com

My girls too go to french immersion, but at Kensal Park. They love it. My oldest is going into grade 3 and youngest into grade 1. I was born in Ottawa and took french through out school so I know the importance of a second language. I hope you and your LO enjoy it as much as we do. There seems to be a bunch of kids now going to Kensal Park.
    Loving mom to DD '99 and DD '01
    Proud foster mom to #4 and counting

Blue Butterfly

Quote Originally Posted by girlsmum View Post
    I highly endorse anyone placing their child in french immersion, I am fluent in both english and french and when we moved to London, Princess Anne was just down the street persay and it was by sheer luck that I was able to get her into french immersion *extended*, I couldn't put her in as an extended back in Guelph, but our girls will start from JK in french immersion. I should put an ad up for anyone looking for anyone needing french assistance for their child,LOL! I have a friend who is going to start in a year with hers and I'm going to put together some french posters for her DD with numbers, letters, animals, home item names, etc.
    WAY TO GO on your decision, I'm sure your LO will love it, maybe I should have a callsign on the forum as "francomummy".
    And you'd be surprised how much easier it is for a young child to learn another language than for an older one, I'm proof of that, I learned both at the same time as a baby!

The decision was easy for me. I'm fluent in French and Spanish, and took both up until first year University. I think it's VERY important in today's society to know more than one language, and plan on teaching DD Spanish slowly as well.

I just hope she likes it as much as I'm praying she will! lol

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMommy View Post
    Well not to get hopes up that we are another family there... because we are not... but I wanted to say that I have heard some really really great things about that school. In fact if I could choose to send my daughter there when she goes to school I would be. Unfortunately we bought our house in the wrong area for our school preferences and now dd will be stuck going to Princess Elizabeth. No offence to anyone currently there or working there... it just was not my first choice... and especially not for FI. However.. trhat is a bit off topic... Lord Roberts ... two thumbs up... good luck!!
    I PM'd you about this one. Hope you have space in your inbox to get it- now that Julie has "changed/messed" with our messaging system.

girlsmum

I don't know how to quote people on this new forum but I think it's great that you already are fluent in both french and spanish. In Canada, having both english and french secures so many employment opportunities, the US has better employment opps for people with english and spanish, especially in some of the southern states. I can understand a few phrases in spanish which can be easy for me to pick up as french/spanish/italian are all latin derivatives. Too bad Latin is a dead language, I did learn a little of it, but what's the point, no one speaks Latin in the streets.......anywhere! I would LOVE to teach french in my home or have a french playgroup for kids!! And again, the sooner the better.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My son will be 4 on Oct 1/07 and could go to JK this year but I have decided to keep him home with me for another year. I will be sending him to SK at a Frech Immersion school in fall/2008. I just moved to White Oaks and am curious as to what French Immersion school the kids attend? When would I register him? Is there any info session held at the school at some point? Thanks for any answers you can provide me with!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    My son will be 4 on Oct 1/07 and could go to JK this year but I have decided to keep him home with me for another year. I will be sending him to SK at a Frech Immersion school in fall/2008. I just moved to White Oaks and am curious as to what French Immersion school the kids attend? When would I register him? Is there any info session held at the school at some point? Thanks for any answers you can provide me with!
    You will be at Princess Elizabeth...along with kaitlyn'sMommy(year behind)- but same year as me....I also am in whiteoaks- currently house hunting. There was an info night last february for all FI schools. I am sure there will be another one this year. I am thinking registration would be in february.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepless in London View Post
    You will be at Princess Elizabeth...along with kaitlyn'sMommy(year behind)- but same year as me....I also am in whiteoaks- currently house hunting. There was an info night last february for all FI schools. I am sure there will be another one this year. I am thinking registration would be in february.

My son will be going there in September 2008 as well.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Well.. will anyone's little ones be going there Sept 2009??? or is Kaitlyn just going to have to make friends with all these older children - lol
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Thanks for the info! This school not that long ago was considered "not so great" am I correct? I assume it's changed since it converted to FI? I also assume my son wouldbe bussed there from here in White Oaks? Would it be every other day full day program for SK?
    I hope there will be another info session this Feb so I can attend and find out more info!
    ps: W really lucked out on finding this house in White Oaks, only because a previous offer fell through when the people couldn't sell their own home. Therefore, they lost out on getting this home and thank goodness we were able to sell our house in 12 days. We are on a court location, 4 level backslpit and have a huge backyard and no neighbours in behind us. Love it! Good luck house hunting! Do you already have a realtor you are working with? If not, I can send you the name of mine. She was great and really wanted the best for our family and didn't want us to end up in the "wrong" neighbourhood! There are some places and streets here in London she refuses to take people to look in.

Princess Elizabeth still houses an regular English program; this year only SK is being offered at this site. Next year, it will be Grade 1 and SK and will grow from there (that is the plan anyways). There are always FI info sessions in February for each FI school. Check the board website (www.tvdsb.on.ca) closer to February for exact times and dates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast