Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Fertility Clinic

After more failed months of trying, my doctor is making a referral for me to a fertility clinic. Just wondering for those of you who have gone/are going, which clinic are you going to? Are you going to to the one at the hospital?

Also, what are some of the first tests that they do...just wanted an idea of what to expect.

I went to university hospital and saw Dr.Power.

I'm a very picky person - and have to say this Dr was INCREDIBLE. as cheesy it may sound - he's really found his calling in life. TTC is such a rough time, and everytime I went to see him, he made me feel like he was my friend When I finally found out I was preg. he scheduled me for an ultrasound the next day so that I could 'see', hugged me, and seemed almost as excited as I was about it!
    I just cannot say enough good things about him!

On your first appointment you fill out a questionaire with your partner.. then you go in and pretty much have a chat about all the options available, what they all entail, you're given a pamplet/book to bring home to read over everything as well.
    Then with Dr.Power he asked us how long we were willing to wait - how many things we wanted to try, what he suggested for us based on our medical info - then we sort of set out a plan based on what had already been done with my Dr and what the next steps needed to be for what we had chosen.
    I always knew what direction we were going and what the next steps were going to be, which really comforted me.

one of the first 'tests' I had done was an HSG test where they inject dye into your uterus and fallopian tubes then xray them to see if there are any blockages.

good luck! HTH a little It's a rough path to be on, but one that I chose to look at as exciting becuase I just told myself I had someone else on my 'team' now helping us get what we wanted

Thanks foxi for the info. Did you have an pelvic ultrasound first before even going to the clinic?

Can I interject a question also? Do you need a referral from your family doc for this?
    Mama to TWO little sweetie pies!!

Banned

I never made it as far as the fertility clinic. My OB/GYN did blood work and then the HSG dye test first.
    I was then given Clomid. My OB only refers to the fertility clinic if Clomid doesn't work after 3 months. Not sure if it's because I am out of town, or if each doctor does it differently.

Good luck!

Expert Forum User

I went to the same place and Dr. Power was super nice. He handled my 1st m/c. When we did the actual treatments I saw whatever doc was there but on my chart the doc was Dr. Hollett-Caines.

I think your course of treatment depends on your history. I had been charting for years, was ovulating and everthing seem ok. For us they started me on Metformin and did a semen analysis for dh. Then when he checked out I had the HSG done. From there they tried clomid, then injections, then injection with IUI.

I don't remember having the pelvic done before the clinic but then again I was going through a chemical pregnancy at the time too.

ETA: Yes you need a referral

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I was with SOFT. Had DS no issues, preggo quickly. Preggo easily after DS, mc'd. Preggo again 2 mos later, mc'd. Preggo again the next month, mc'd. They did tones of blood tests then I had the refferal. Went there did tones of blood tests - guess what, I'm normal, no problems found. Did a HSG, all normal. Put on percautionary prometrium suppositories (progesterone) and baby aspirin. Did that for about 6 months with no success. Said screw this and just went off everything. Started trying to adopt. Got my BFP right before our adoption home study and went back on the promitrium and baby aspirin. All u/s were done at SOFT.

I went to the clinic at the university hospital during my 3rd mc and had a terrible experience there. I asked about bfing and miscarriages (I knew there was no link, just wanted to hear it from the doc so I could tell people doc says no link)...... he informed me that you cant get pregnant while breastfeeding..... ummmm then how am I having my third miscarriage while breastfeeding?
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Expert Forum User

I am sure you have seen this but if you haven't it might be worth a look:
    The Fertility Clinic

Dr. Power is very interventive once you become pregnant tho, fair warning! Transfer to a midwife asap.

SOFT is awesome too. But I don't know how they are when you are actually pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovetinks View Post
    Thanks foxi for the info. Did you have an pelvic ultrasound first before even going to the clinic?
    Quote Originally Posted by flamingogirl View Post
    Can I interject a question also? Do you need a referral from your family doc for this?
    np i remember going through it all (this site was a sanity saver for sure!)

no, I didn't have an ultrasound done first - though my Dr's office was incredibly unhelpful.

It was1.5 - 2 years of TTC and they still wouldn't refer me, or really do anything - they just kept telling me to 'wait' then I had my period for 2 months and they wanted to put me on birth control to fix it and just 'wait' on a bunch of other things that were going on , and I literally lost it in the office and DEMANDED a referral

So flamingogirl - demand what you want, and be persistent until you're happy... don't let ppl drag their heels and make you wait for no reason yk?

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    Dr. Power is very interventive once you become pregnant tho, fair warning! Transfer to a midwife asap.

SOFT is awesome too. But I don't know how they are when you are actually pregnant.

i didnt know he kept patients... i was referred after i got preg

Soft post BFP: I was there for blood tests testing levels. Had a 7 week u/s, 12 week u/s and 20 week u/s. DH and Aden were allowed in the room for all of them for the whole time and I watched the entire u/s. I had the same number of u/s with Aden.

Quote Originally Posted by foximamma View Post
    i didnt know he kept patients... i was referred after i got preg
    I kept seeing him for my PCOS thru my first pregnancy as I was on Metformin. He does still see pregnant patients, there were always lots there when I went for appointments.

What do you mean by interventive myrrah?

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    What do you mean by interventive myrrah?
    'Wow 41 weeks? You are the most pregnant person in my practice! Lets get that baby outta there! We'll get you in here tomorrow for your induction. Day after tomorrow I'm in BC for four days so we need to get this done right now!'

Told me to 'assume the position' with a wink at M's dad for my internal exam to check dilation. Asked M's dad if I'd been a 'good girl.'

Then bursting in beaming and shaking hands like he'd delivered the baby himself after my midwives saved my arse thru my 40+ hour natural labour.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast