Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Hunting: Help a mama out!

My DH is a new hunter and of coure needs all the gear. What to buy and what not to buy? Where is the best place to shop? I would like to get a few things for Christmas for Hubby.
    Thanks

Expert Forum User

I think it depends on what kond of hunting he is into. You could always check Basspro.

Expert Forum User

Is he rifle hunting or bow hunting?

There's a place called the Gun room on Dundas street east (where the LCBO used to be) - I've never been in, but I assume that it's all about hunting.

There's the archer's nook on Clarke (near trafalgar, beside Metro) and they have a TON of stuff for bow hunting.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

I will talk to my dad, is your DH thinking of hunting with him? I know my dad used to be big into hunting and has done both bow and rifle. I will see what he suggests for you to buy for DH, he may even already know what your DH may need.

What shift are they working? (bad, I know but I can't remember if they are days or nights right now)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Go to Meijers in Port Huron (or really any big bulk in Michigan- Wal Mart, Lowes...). It's amazing what they have and at really cheap prices.

I'm not advocating hunting
    tough times don't last but tough people do

Expert Forum User

Definatley depends what he's hunting and how...lol but coming from a family that hunts nearly everything I'm sure I can give some suggestions. Even Candian Tire and Walmart carry some of the basics if your looking for camo coats/mitts and orange stuff.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Sorry... I'm a lover not a killer... I've just never been hunting before. I know I would appreciate the commraderie (sp?), fort building and the outdoors, I just don't know if I'd enjoy the hunting part as much.

C-Tire does carry the basics, I've seen the stuff there.... Port Huron would be a good bet, but it might be a hassle to get over the border again, unless you really knew what the rules and regs were.

Check 411 for Hunting Supplies.

If you want to stay on the Canadian side, hit Bass Pro Shop in Vaughn. It's an amazing store, and for a double bonus its connected to an awesome mall. Takes us 2 hours to get there but we take the 407 exit at highway 400. worth the drive. you can also check out the store online.

I think forest city surplus has stuff
    Becky Mom to X and C

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    I will talk to my dad, is your DH thinking of hunting with him? I know my dad used to be big into hunting and has done both bow and rifle. I will see what he suggests for you to buy for DH, he may even already know what your DH may need.

What shift are they working? (bad, I know but I can't remember if they are days or nights right now)
    DH has already hit up your dad. Now they are hunting and fishing pals. I think they have all the seasons covered now. LOL. DH plans on both cross bow and rifle.

Expert Forum User

So I talked to my dad and he said that you get DH a reversible camouflage jacket - that is camouflage on one side and orange on the other side. He also recommended hunting boots, waterproof pants, binoculars, he said he could get “scent“ masking spray if DH really gets into hunting. Ummm.....that's about as helpful as I could get him to be.....lol.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    So I talked to my dad and he said that you get DH a reversible camouflage jacket - that is camouflage on one side and orange on the other side. He also recommended hunting boots, waterproof pants, binoculars, he said he could get “scent“ masking spray if DH really gets into hunting. Ummm.....that's about as helpful as I could get him to be.....lol.
    Thanks a bunch. Did you happen to ask him where would be the best place to go?

Expert Forum User

I will ask him again - he was not very helpful, the conversation went like this:

Me- I want to know what you would suggest for your co-worker, but DO NOT TELL HIM ABOUT THIS!
    dad-some pants, the jacket, boots, you know hunting stuff
    Me- rolling eyes that dad can't see
    Me(out loud) - well dad, it would be helpful to know where she can get this stuff
    dad- well, any hunting section, I don't know, walmart, canadian tire
    me- is there a good store that specializes in hunting
    dad- yep, there is but I don't know the name of it
    me- is it in london
    dad - I think it's in watford or rodney

So as you can see it was a bit painful I love my dad but he is not the best conversationalist.

Expert Forum User

Walmart usually have the good realtree sets. DH has had luck at Can. Tire too.

DH fav. store is Cabela's you can go to www.cabelas.com and they do ship to Canada. DH would probably want one of everything!! He has been hunting since he could hold a rifle. They just finished the December deer hunt. A good warm reversible camo coat, with the matching overalls. Just make sure if you buy them seperate they are the same pattern. DH also has a orange vest he uses in the warmer weather and it holds bullets. If he really wants to get into it he might want calls. Gosh there is a ton of stuff. The basics would just be clothes from head to toe. Super warm boots and a hat for now.

If you need more help just ask my DH would be more then happy to share his vast knowledge..... to no end. I know there is a place in London he goes but I can't think of it right now...I will ask him im the morning and post back.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Dh always talks about gobles (SP?) archers nook and bass pro..

Man it's endless..

If hes into turkey hunting -a hunting blind, a turkey call (deer calls too if he is going to hunt deer), decoys

binoculars (for all types of hunting where he would scope out like deer too)

Deer hunting-
    -no scent - spray, bar soap & laundry wash and a special bag to store it in when it's all de-scented
    -Tree stand (probaby something he wants to buy himself )

The gear, nice warm camo boots, cameo pants warm and not warm ones
    a nice winter cameo coat..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast