Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Helmets for Ice Skating

I'm wondering about what kind of helmet to buy for DD for ice skating. Should I get one with a cage? I think that'd be really annoying for her, though no doubt it does add protection.

And anyone know where to get a pink one? She quickly got over the fact that her new skates aren't pink, so I'm sure she'll survive with a white or black helmet, but if I could find a "pretty" one, I'm sure it would make her very happy. Maybe some sparkly stickers will help.

Any advice?

I would go with a gage. Maven is in skating lessons and I have seen little ones go face first into the ice and its by no means a pretty site. Maybe try Source for Sports for a pink helmut. or Petes Sports.

go with the cage! she won't even notice it's there lol

"The past is history, the future a mystery but today is a gift. That's why they call it the present."

Expert Forum User

They don't even notice the cage really.
    I've seen the pink stripe ones at CT

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I agree with getting a cage. C is 7 and just took hers off this year cause she is doing figure skating and dh thought she might be able to see better without it. I wish she still had it on. J wears one still and will for sometime to come. I'd rather save their teeth! I also think of getting a skate in the face and would hate to think I could have prevented that from happening.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Daegan always wears his hockey helmet with a cage. He is unfazed by it because he doesn't know any different.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

So...I was planning on going skating with the kids this year for the first time. HELMETS! D'OH!!! I realise that they are not ideal but can i use a bike helmet if I don't have anything else??

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

We tried the bike helmet first and it just didn't stay on that well. Probably not the best size helmet for bike riding in hind sight.

Anyway, after her first learn to skate session, we went back to Herm's and got a used youth helmet. It didn't have a cage, but the fellow said we could buy one seperately if we choose to down the road. Didn't see any pink, just white or black. DD's had stickers on hers and she liked that. She did great today and got up from falls on her own and actually stayed standing without help from dad. I was almost in tears! I was so proud of her today!!! Can't wait to take her skating as a family.

Expert Forum User

Go with a cage...my kids have both had their teeth saved multiple times thanks to the cage. I just took DS's cage off of his skating helmet (he has a different one for hockey) this year. He's 6 now and is a better skater than me!

DD started skating last year at 3.5 yrs and she asked for the cage - lol She thought it was cool. I feel better knowing she is better protected. Never seen a poink one though. We let DD choose white or black and told her she could pretty it up with stickers. She didn't even care, she was just so excited to be skating and with having a big kid helmet.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeMom View Post
    So...I was planning on going skating with the kids this year for the first time. HELMETS! D'OH!!! I realise that they are not ideal but can i use a bike helmet if I don't have anything else??
    We just use the bike helmet. Make sure it fits properly (not moving around on her head, etc) and is snug. The big thing is protecting the back of the head, yk? That ice can be pretty hard.
    "Show me your horse and I will tell you who you are." -- Old English Saying

My DD's helmet is just covered in stickers and that helped her get over the fact that it wasn't a pink helmet.

Expert Forum User

Yes, I would go with a cage (to protect her beautiful face! )
    If you find a pink one, please post where you found it. We tried to get one for DD #1, but couldn't find one so we went with white and put stickers on it too. I just found out today that helmets have expiration dates on them too. Am I the only one that didn't know that?

Expert Forum User

We got dd one with a cage (we've had bad luck with teeth in the past!) and we are looking for one for ds for Christmas. They are expensive! Anyone seen any good deals?

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by ToocuteMaddie'n'Josh View Post
    We got dd one with a cage (we've had bad luck with teeth in the past!) and we are looking for one for ds for Christmas. They are expensive! Anyone seen any good deals?
    Check out source for sports. We got one there for C 4 yrs ago and it's a nice helmet. I can't remember the exact price but I don't remember it being super $$$
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast