Thread: knitters, help!

Expert Forum User

Default knitters, help!

so I am making a scarf for my Dad for Christmas. For some reason the sides are curling in. Its k one row p the other. Im only using acrylic. Maybe I could iron it when its done?

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Banned

The sides will always curl in if you're just doing K1, P1. Are you far along? If you started over, you could do a 'border' of garter stitch (knit every row) and that should keep the sides flat.

So your pattern would be something like

K5 (border); (K1, P1) x times for pattern; K5 (border)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

This would be the point I would start swearing and pitch the knitting. How long does it take to knit a scarf anyway?

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

I don't knit, but I have heard that there all lots of helpful youtube videos.
    Evelyn May - 9 years
    Rose Adelle - 7 1/2 years
    William James - 5 years
    Thomas Edward - 16 months

Do NOT iron!! Acrylic is basically plastic.

How far are you along with the scarf? Is it too late to rip it back? If you cast on again, I would knit the first five stitches and last five stitches every row, and you can knit the middle stitches on row #1 and purl the middle stitches on row #2 and repeat those two rows to the end. On each end of the scarf, you could knit about ten rows so that the ends match the edges.

The time it takes to knit a scarf is dependent on how much yarn you are using, what yarn you are using, how long your scarf is, how fancy the pattern is, and the size of your needles. I can knit a scarf in one evening if the pattern is simple, there's only one ball, it's chunky yarn, and the needles are huge! : )
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

[QUOTE=corazenia;725162]Do NOT iron!! Acrylic is basically plastic. [QUOTE]

Yes! I panicked when I read ironing and acrylic in the same sentence.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

lol thanks ladies! I dont ever knit with acrylic normally, generally wool, so I wasnt sure about the ironing.

I am not THAT far along, I should really start over.. that way I know it would look good lol. Gives me more practice at my speed LOL. Im getting better.. I think LMAo

Thanks ladies!

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Acrylic is great for gifts to people who you are certain will never handwash a garment. That pretty much covers everyone on my gift list except my mum. I would prefer to knit with wool all the time, but unfortunately that can't always be the case. There are some good acrylic/wool blends that provide the warmth of wool with the washability of acrylic at Michaels and Lens Mills - I'm thinking Patons Decor for one.
    My musings about my children, my crafts and everything and anything else can be found on my blog.