ecoscrapper

Question Eco-friendly cleaning products

I recently got into a debate about the use of chemicals in the home, especially in homes with children & pets. I thought it would be an excellent forum for us to discuss what we do for cleaning, especially if we want to limit toxic chemicals at home. For a start, I tried to use vinegar to clean my bin, with mixed results. I'm going to try baking soda & soda water next.

What do other people do/use? What works & what really doesn't?

I use a combo of baking soda, vinegar and tea tree oil for pretty much everything in the house- but I do keep bleach around and dilute it for use if I really need something disinfected (or for occasional laundry use)
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

llbgal

We are basically chemical free for cleaning products. We use vinegar (white and usually undiluted) for almost everything. I also use Tea Tree oil sometimes in the laundry as well. I use Ecover dishsoap and Nature Clean laundry soap. I also have an Ecover cream soap (kind of like VIM).

When I really really want to disinfect something (e.g. counters after preparing raw chicken etc.) I use Bio-Citrus disinfectant (kills all bacteria and is all natural!)

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I use vinegar, baking soda, and tea tree oil for cleaning. Unfortunately, SO uses Lysol and absolutely refuses to stop, and he does most of the cleaning around here...

I used to use just baking soda to wash my laundry, but then FIL came down with 12 bottles of laundry detergent (they were on sale) so we're using that.

We also need to work on dish soap and personal care products, but we're taking things one step at a time. I've already switched to the "rock" kind of deoderant, and this winter I plan to try going no-poo and see how that works for me.

Expert Forum User

I work for a cleaning company and we use all eco friendly products from melaleuca. I'm not exactly sure where my boss gets them from. I think its the kind of company you become a member for a fee. I absolutley love the products. They do have a website. www.melaleuca.com

Expert Forum User

I've just recently started using Enjo cleaning products. They are really big in Australia and Europe. You use the cloths with nothing but water. So far they've been great! I haven't found anything that I haven't been able to clean yet.

www.enjo.net
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    Unfortunately, SO uses Lysol and absolutely refuses to stop, and he does most of the cleaning around here...
    poor mamabear... LOL wish I could complain about the un-natural stuff dh cleans with HA!
    Heather.

Push button. Receive bacon.

ecoscrapper

How much do you dilute the vinegar?
    And what's the best for the bathroom? I find the scale on the shower screen really hard to get rid of.

llbgal

Quote Originally Posted by ecoscrapper View Post
    How much do you dilute the vinegar?
    And what's the best for the bathroom? I find the scale on the shower screen really hard to get rid of.
    For the scale -- I would just use vinegar straight. I know some people dilute their vinegar -- but, in all honesty, I rarely do. The "vinegar smell" goes away promptly.

HippieMama

Quote Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
    I've just recently started using Enjo cleaning products. They are really big in Australia and Europe. You use the cloths with nothing but water. So far they've been great! I haven't found anything that I haven't been able to clean yet.

www.enjo.net
    Jodie, that's really exciting! I recently became an ENJO consultant! You're in Strathroy ... did Natalie do your show?

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by HippieMama View Post
    Jodie, that's really exciting! I recently became an ENJO consultant! You're in Strathroy ... did Natalie do your show?
    She did but she was doing it for a new consultant. A friend of mine's Mom just signed up as our first consultant in Strathroy.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

HippieMama

I love how quickly the company is expanding - I'll probably meet her at the August meeting.