Expert Forum User

Question Need ideas for homemade gift

We thought that now that DD is older and more creative we would start a Christmas tradition where the kids do not buy for the parents. I always feel weird when my inlaws request a gift for Christmas or even my parents. I don't want my kids growing up thinking they need to buy me stuff.

So anyway I would love to gather ideas for something DD can make for DH. I was thinking like a popsicle stick picture frame or something.

Please share any ideas

Social Media Guru

DSS picked out a blank frame, we bought lots of buttons and glued them on and put a picture of him in it for SO. Also I got DSS to pick out a bunch of pics he liked of him and Daddy and did up a calendar for him.

My kids painted plaster ornaments starting at about 4 yrs old. You can get them at Michael's for $0.99 or less each. I used acrylic craft paint and some brushes from the dollar store or on sale at Michael's. For hanging you can use any string or ribbon you have. Found this pic from google.

You can personalize them only if you want to. Some designs are easier for LO to paint than others. When my kids were young it took a little while for them to learn how to get a uniform coat of colour on the ornaments. They made so many as gifts for friends, teachers and family.

Banned

I buy mason jars, let the girls pick thier own colours and we buy potpurri in that colour.
    Then we take a small strand of white lights, place it in the jar, add ther popurri
    Embellish the lid with paint or fabric, leave the plug in of the cord outside of the netting or lace...and voila...
    lamp!

Quote Originally Posted by Shellie View Post
    I buy mason jars, let the girls pick thier own colours and we buy potpurri in that colour.
    Then we take a small strand of white lights, place it in the jar, add ther popurri
    Embellish the lid with paint or fabric, leave the plug in of the cord outside of the netting or lace...and voila...
    lamp!
    I was just going to suggest this!!! I have done it before. It is a really nice idea, and super easy to make and you know people would use it for years to come.

Expert Forum User

My DD took a small dish soap bottle (from the dollar store) and covered it in jewels for her sister. We are also doing a frame but instead of buttons we are using jewels. We got a one pound bag for $12 that will last for many projects!

Dollarama has lots of little wood boxes that are great to paint and decorate.

Someone posted a beautiful ribbon wreath that looked easy enough with help.
    moving sucks

Get about 4 tiles and have him paint them. Put on a clear coat. Get the little rubber nubs from the dollar store fo rth ebottom and voila-handmade coasters-tie them up with a nice ribbon and give away.

We make ornaments each year for the entire family. When I get them out, I will take pics and post them. I like this tradition.

One of dh's favourite gifts was the snowpeople picture frame.

I painted a frame blue and then used dd's thumb and pinky prints to create snow people all around the frame.

Lauren's mom posted an ornament that is along the same idea and in that thread, I posted pics of snowpeople examples.

I am going to find it and link it. I will take a pic of the finished frame too.

This year, I'm taking a coffee can and painting it white. Then, using their footprints to create reindeer with brown paint. I will write, treats from daddy's little deers. CHEESY but he'll love it. I love cheesy. We're all super cheesy.
    mama to 3

Here is the link to the ornaments.

Snowmen ornaments
    mama to 3

Here are examples of the snowpeople (stolen from a book)

mama to 3

Expert Forum User

Thank you all so much!! If anyone has more pics to share that would be great, then I can show them to DD and see what she wants to do!!