Expert Forum User

Default Breaks and the labour law?

A friend was told that when she works either a 6 or 8 hour shift she HAS to punch out for her 30min lunch...but that she is not allowed to take any 15min breaks as "thats stealing work time".
    I know the law says you get two 15min breaks and one lunch for an 8 hour shift...isin't it the same for a 6 hour?
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I thought it was 15 min break per 4 hours worked?
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Expert Forum User

Actually, they aren't required to provide 'paid' lunches, only the time to take it. They don't have to give you 15 min. breaks on top of this 1/2 hour unpaid lunch either, it's just a lot of companies do.

This is from the Min. of labour:

An employee must not work for more than five hours in a row without getting a 30-minute eating period (meal break) free from work. The law does not require an employer to provide any breaks in addition to this eating period. However, if the employer does provide another type of a break, such as a coffee break, and the employee must remain at his or her workplace during the break, the employee must be paid at least the minimum wage for that time.
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

Here is a link to freqently asked Employment Standards Act Questions

https://ozone.scholarsportal.info/bi...5/2/244575.pdf

From this link

An employee must not work for more than five hours in a row without getting a 30-minute eating period (meal break) free from work. The law does not require an employer to provide any breaks in addition to this eating period. However, if the employer does provide another type of a break, such as a coffee break, and the employee must remain at his or her workplace during the break, the employee must be paid for that time.
    The entitlement to 15 minute breaks is a consistent misconception ... they are a perk above and beyond and if an employer choose not to or for some reason cant offer them - not much you can do about it ... that said you have to be allowed to PEE

Expert Forum User

LOL ... opps cross posted with mom 2 Alyssa ... except I had to answer the phone and posted later

See, at our work we offer 15 min paid breaks instead of an unpaid 30 minute eating period. You don't 'earn' a break until you are scheduled for a 5-hour shift.

Expert Forum User

Do you work for my huband?
    He doesn't take breaks, eats lunch at his desk, and doesn't feel that his staff should take breaks either. I keep telling him that studies have shown that people are actually more productive when given regular breaks during their work period. I believe different companies have their own “laws“ regarding breaks, so you may need to speak to someone in human resources or find a manual with the company's written policies.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Hubby does get break either - totally makes sense in his case. ex right now he is there alone til 5..... he cant just stop working for half an hour.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/