Expert Forum User

Default Lactation help please

My friends LO is a week old today. We were chatting today and although she has a healthy milk supply she has "very flat nipples" as she puts it. She has been using a nipple sheild, but is finding that its becoming alot of work, and was told she shouldn't use it long. Her LO still refuses to latch without the shield.

Anyhow she called to have a Public Health Nurse or Lacation consultant to the house and noone will come due to the H1N1 paranoia.

She had to have a section and her husband ran out of time off the other day so she doesn't know how to get out of the house on her own yet either.

Does anyone have advice that can help her, or know somewhere she can get the help. She really wants to BF for long term, but I can understand the extra exhaustion it takes, placing the shield, feeding, than pumping.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Expert Forum User

Does she have the means to hire a post partum doula? They're excellent support for breastfeeding.
    XO
    Jessica

Independant Passion Party Consultant
    Join my group on Facebook

I don't really have an answer for you, but I thought I'd share my experience. I had to use a shield for 4 months with DS and by the time he was that old he had perfected his suckling so was finally able to latch on. I know it's a major inconvenience, but I too was certain I was going to bf and if it was my only option then so be it!
    Buy my stuff!!! Usually Baby & Young Boy Stuff!!
    Lots of Baby Girl Clothing right now!!
    http://london.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOth...serIdZ56392368

has she tried to pump for the initial 2-5 minutes then bf with/without the shield in place?
    the suction from the pump may be enough to drawn the nipple out...?
    A son can charm himself into (and out of) most things

Expert Forum User

I also had to use a shield for several months, and yes it is a pain. However, eventually DS was big enough and strong enough to get rid of it. If she wants to continue BFing, she may have to use it for a little while longer. I'm definitely not looking forward to having to use it this time around, but with my shape, I know that I probably will .

Sorry I'm not much help, but let her know she's not alone.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Not sure if this is the kind of advice that would help or not. When Aden was born I would sort of squish the areola part flatter so he could get it in his little mouth. Not sure if something like that would help?
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

I know a FANTASTIC lactation consultant, that will come to her house. PM me for more info.

If she has the money, she should definitely call Carol Peat. There is a recent thread with her contact information.

Expert Forum User

Here's a link to Dr Jack Newman's site about nipple shields - they are not always the answer, and very very few LCs are actually trained how to use them, which he explained on the course I went to. Basically, the baby learns to latch to the shield, not to the nipple, which slows down their learning how to latch.

Nipple Shields

A list of all his online advice can be found here:

Breastfeeding Problems - BreastFeeding Help for Problems

On the course we went to, he pretty much said 'stop pumping, your baby is a much better pump to use'. No nipple is too flat, it just takes a bit more practise for some people - regardless of how flat their nipples may seem, the baby can still latch - mothers and babies learn to feed by breastfeeding, and interventions don't always help, they can hinder.

You could also pm hinagal or shawnthegirl for advice - they have both taken Dr Newman's course too.
    Mummy to two wonderful miracle boys