Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Feeling a little empty

OK....this might be an odd question....my DD is 6 weeks old...I have been pretty much exclusively breastfeeding her (with the exception of a couple of bottles of formula on 2 nights when I was totally exhausted and frustrated and went to bed). I have just started exercizing again....running to be precise. So, today and yesterday, after my run, I felt as if my breast were pretty empty. Then, about 1/2 hour or so later, when DD wanted to feed, she was only able to suck for a couple minutes, then got really frustrated and started pulling away etc......It has now been 8 hours since the run, and I still feel as if my milk production is really down. DD has been getting frustrated, not feeding long, I feel rather empty........I ended up giving her 3 oz of formula, after offering the breast, as she was still crying and obviously hungry. I have made sure to drink lots of liquids, but still feel empty. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am concerned that running and nursing don't mix? Help!

Are you getting enough to drink and enough rest? I recently went through the same thing (except I'm allergic to excerise, so without that part) and it turned out that I was very exhausted and dehydrated. Once I focused on drinking a lot of water and resting, production was back to normal without about a day.

I did read that sometimes if you breastfeed after excercising it can change the way it tastes, but I never heard of it affecting your supply, you could try pumping to get your supply up, because its all about supply and demand, the more you feed, the more milk you have.
    Evelyn May - 9 years
    Rose Adelle - 7 1/2 years
    William James - 5 years
    Thomas Edward - 16 months

Expert Forum User

I had the same problem with my first born. I started working out again and my supply dropped. Changing your habits whether it be exercise, or if you are going through a lot of stress, can make your supply drop.
    I would drink lots. Pump if you can too, even if you arent getting anything, the more stimulation your breasts get, the quicker the milk will come back.

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

6 weeks old? Bah, run later. Are you one of the crazies that likes running? Or is this a weight thing? If it's a weight thing, I wouldn't worry about it. Enjoy sitting before your kid learns to crawl and walk. You'll never sit down again once they start moving.
    Stop thinking you’re not ready. – Nobody ever feels 100% ready when an opportunity arises. Because most great opportunities in life force us to grow beyond our comfort zones, which means we won’t feel totally comfortable at first.

~ Breastfed for 7 months, 2 weeks and 3 days ~

Expert Forum User

make sure you are eating a lot too because you need the extra calories to MAKE the milk. I would also hold off on running, I havent worked out in 6 months

Thanks ladies.

I really need to work out, and yes, I am a crazy that enjoys running. Between my 2 pregnancies (DD 2.5 years and DD 6 weeks) I gained quite a lot of weight. I am currently about 30 lbs heavier that I was when I first became pregnant. Weight has been a life long struggle and the only thing that seems to keep it off me is running.

Right now I literally have nothing, except track suits, that will fit on me. I hate to buy new clothes and waste money, but I feel quite depressed about my appearance.

I am definately not getting enough sleep.....as per my many recent posts about my gassy baby who never sleeps....but am drinking a ton of water and liquids. I am considering trying the Fenugreek/Blessed Thistle combo, but am concerned that Blessed Thistle is an appetite ENHANCER! Thats the last thing I need

oooh i had a post but i just had to erase and start over when i realized your dd is 6 weeks...this could also have something to do with her 6 week growth spurt..i've felt “empty“ since dd started hers a week and a half ago [and off topic, but dd is super gassy too and i tried the probiotics many lm's suggested and theyre making a difference - she still cries sometimes when shes gassy but not all of the time, and this morning she pooped without crying at all!!!]
    Buy my stuff!!! Usually Baby & Young Boy Stuff!!
    Lots of Baby Girl Clothing right now!!
    http://london.kijiji.ca/c-PostersOth...serIdZ56392368

I too have had this happen. I needed to be really creative with when I would exercise (immediately after a feeding).
    I also have a prescription for Domperidone. I do not need it regularly but I do use it when I am feeling a little empty.
    Drink lots of water! I also agree with the above post that 6 weeks is growth spurt time. It is also a really hard time for you. Take care!

This happened to me and sadly did not get any better after going on Fenugreek. I took it for about 2 weeks, drank more water, pumped and laid on the couch because that's what I thought I was supposed to do. Nothing helped and my milk supply just kept feeling like it was less and less. I realize the stress level I had was a bit high because I worry about my new little girl. I started feeling a bit empty or soft around 2 months. Now she's 4 months old and I've finally come to terms with the fact that there's just not enough producing for her. To be honest, it was so sad for me and I'm still not ok with it but I had almost 3 good solid months of breast milk and the more and more I stressed the worse it got. Now I'm happier because I'm less stressed but I'm fully on formula. Hope this helps.

Expert Forum User

Make sure you are getting lots of water. Hugs, I know how it feels to have nothing that fits.
    Daisy - Mum to M (July 2005) and T (July 2009)

Feeling 'full' isnt a good guage of how much milk you have. I have been breastfeeding one or both children for almost 4 years and I rarely feel full.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Things have not really gotten better. I know she is not getting enough because she is getting frustrated, pulls at me and only stays at a breast about minutes (she is 8 weeks). Then she is not satisfied and crying. It is not just when I excercise any more......I am trying fenugreek and blessed thistle.....she only gained 3 oz last week

Expert Forum User

if you are exercising ( running is OK) drink lots of water. if your dd is getting frustrated switch sides as often as she gets frustrated. I was told to do that and I find it helps, its like a change of scenery for them and they give it another try. I feel empty since about 4 months but she is still breastfeeding plenty.

Sometimes babies get frustrated in between let downs. Could that be what is happening?
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/