Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Anyone else getting anxious about JK

It's getting so close. I'm going to be so sad on the first day. My dd has been home with me for the last 4.5 years. It's good for her though and she is ready. It's just hard not to feel sad.

Expert Forum User

I hear ya. I too have been a SAHM since my dd was born. Mackenzie is pumped and so ready to go, but I worry. She'll be doing her j.k. in regular school and moving to French Immersion next year. I'll be weepy on her first day. Its coming way to fast.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I bawled the first day my dd went to school. I thought she might cry and I would have to encourage her to go in. She ran in the door without even saying Goodbye!! *cry* I was desensitized to it when my ds started school hehehe.

Banned

I had to leave pretty quickly when I dropped DS#1 off for his first day - I didn't want to start crying and set him off when he was being so brave! But I remember being so sad about it for days ahead of time. DD#2 starts JK this year (she'll be in the same class as her SK brother!) and I don't feel sad at all. Perhaps it's because she embraces new things, while DS shys away. And of course he was my trailblazer. By the time Jack goes to JK I'll be pushing him out the door in July!

Zoo

Maybe I should be, but I'm just pretty darn excited. She needs some new role models -- her brothers are turning into a 'sidekick'...and this is not good lol.

I wonder, though, if I will change my tune on her first day. She is my last zoobie, ya know.

Expert Forum User

I am very excited for Natalie to start school.

The only thing I'm worried about is her having accidents in her pants. She likes to wait until she can't hold it any longer to go to the washroom. Any suggestions on how I can break her of this habit??

I'm very excited for Madison to start too! I'm sure I'll be weepy on the first day, but I'm so excited at the same time!

girlsmum

Talking

It seems like yesterday but my Vicky started school in 1997 and I was REALLY lucky in that the teacher was very young, I was young then too..........did I just type that?.....anyway, I just made up my mind that I wasn't going anywhere that day until I was sure that she was going to be OK. The teacher saw my determination and since I was a SAHM I asked if I could be a teacher's helper in the classroom. These LO's are still needy of help with opening their little juice boxes at lunchtime, washing their hands before they eat, getting dressed properly before going out to recesses, making sure they got to their own designated areas, etc.......so many issues that can be trying for a teacher when he/she has 25+ new little faces before them who don't know the routine.
    If you are in a position to assist in the classroom, make yourself known, it was so cool that I was able to follow the growth of the kids in Vicky's class all the way up to grade 6, so many lunches, playtimes, field trips?...........very cool! If you work?.........take all the time you and your LO need to let go. A fast exit IMO doesn't take the time to really let your child know that this is a safe place to be. Vicky felt very comfortable in her class, cuz she knew mommy felt it was safe in this stange new world and that made all the difference I think.
    I'm so glad I get to do it all over again in another 3 years or so with 2 girls this time, now that's cool.
    As for washrooms, I assume the schools here in London also have their own boys and girls washrooms for JK and SK students. It would be a great idea to take your respective LO and walk them to that washroom and state that this is where you do your ***, and wash your hands afterwards and before eating. I'm envious of you ladies, for now, LOL, my time is yet to come.

The school my guys have attended had a small unisex washroom in between the two classes (two separate jk/sk split classes; mainstream and apple program). The washroom had stall doors though. The children are very encouraged to do everything on their own (as much as physically possible), and they don't bat an eye at an accident (that's why the tell you to make sure there's a change of clothes in their bag). Dougie starts SK in a new school this year, so I'm anxious because we didn't move in time to get an orientation.

Irish_in_Canada

Yes I would say don't worry about those little accidents. It's all part of growing up. We always kept a change of clothes in their cubby. You never know, right?

Mine's on her way into gr 2 this year, and I have been only called in once between the three years of jk sk and gr1. (And it was actually in gr. 1. *grin* A little gas turned out to be a bit more - poor kid.)

My DD#1 is going to JK at Brick Street in the afternoon program. I am so excited and sad at the same time. I am ready to take tons of pictures and cry at the same time. lol I can't believe that she will be 4 in October. Man how times flies. She is so ready and very excited to learn and make new friends. I am also a SAHM and am going to miss her not being home with me all day, but at the same time looking forward to spending one on one time with DD#2, and hopefully join a playgroup with the her while DD#1 is at school.

I received our info about school today. My dd will attend the am class and will start on the friday of the first week. The first day of school is a total open house for all the children. Sounds crazy to me!

OK - now I'm very nervous reading the threads. My son will go next September and he's my little boy - he's not old enough to go t school, right? WRONG. What is the rule for when they start school again? I can never keep that straight.

What rule are you referring to? The age that they can start? The year that they are four years old by December 31st of that year, they can start Junior Kindergarten. But they are not required to attend school until they are 6 years old. Kindergarten (JR or SR) is optional.

Senior Member Madie&Logan's Mom's Avatar

I know I will be a complete mess. Hubby's on midnight's and won't be there for that first day. Of course maybe that's a good thing so he can't make fun.

Amy, I know at Lorne Ave; the Kindergarden room I was in for the visit had the bathroom right there in the classroom. I thought that was awesome!
    ~Christine~

Mom to Madison Anne (5) and Logan Douglas (2)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast