Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Putting this here because it is about school, and not my school aged child.

So DS brought home a library book the other day named DINORELLA. It's basically the Cinderella story but with dinosaurs. Thought to myself, how cute. Then I read it.

Maybe I am being too sensitive, but when I returned it (in his backpack) today, I included the following letter (or close to)...

Hi.
    My son brought this library book home last week, and I was caught a little off-guard when we started reading it.
    In this day of anti-bullying campaigns, and teaching respect and kindness towards others, I was surprised by some of the text in the book. I am referring to page 3 where the sentences "She's a dingbat" and "She's a dumbhead" are used. And, again on page 14 when the words "You disgusting dummy..." are used.
    I appreciate the difficulty of keeping track of each book and the words written within its pages, but I respectfully ask that this book be pulled from the shelf. I will gladly replace it with another at my own expense.

What would you have done?
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

same thing. Good for you for doing something about it.

I was just at chapters last week trying to find DS a new book with repetitive sentences in it, and went to the robert munch books because we love the ones he has - well, couldn't find one - in one of them the character is calling the other kids in school idiots! 3 that I looked at had name calling in it, and stuff that I would be appauled to hear a little kid using. I could just imagine reading that to my DC kids and having them all run around calling eachotehr these names.

I'm glad things are changing where this is seen as inappropriate!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Good for you!

Banned

Yikes!

Oh my gosh! I remember my DD3 brought this home and I thought it was a horrible, horrible book! I wanted to send a letter but never did. Good for you.

Expert Forum User

Good for you! It is so unfortunate that so much child-geared media/books/stuff is laced with such things. I recently had to ban the Disney Lilo and Stitch movies from Daegan because he has picked up on dialogue such as “stupid head“.

Good for you!! I hope they re think before they put it back on the shelf

“life is not measured by the breaths you take but by the moments that take your breath away“

Expert Forum User

good for you..wow I wouldn't of appreciated that book coming home either

Expert Forum User

Wow I can't imagine that is even in the library! Glad you wrote a letter and made everyone else aware!

Expert Forum User

I would be interested in hearing what happens with this as a result of your letter.
    ~ Annie ~
    Mom to 4 (B24, G23, G19, G9)

My Blog: It's just my life...
    Follow me on Twitter: @anniecannie

Zoo

I don't know...I've had a couple of books come home that make my eyebrows rise...but I get freaked out about censorship ya know? Like, take this book off the shelf because it says 'stupid'...this one because it says 'jerky'...have you seen Diary of a Wimpy Kid? Captain Underpants? I find the story of Cinderella offensive to the core of my feminist heart...but I don't think I should get it pulled off the shelf. Hmm, thinking about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    I don't know...I've had a couple of books come home that make my eyebrows rise...but I get freaked out about censorship ya know? Like, take this book off the shelf because it says 'stupid'...this one because it says 'jerky'...have you seen Diary of a Wimpy Kid? Captain Underpants? I find the story of Cinderella offensive to the core of my feminist heart...but I don't think I should get it pulled off the shelf. Hmm, thinking about this one.
    Good point. I never thought of it this way.

Expert Forum User

Zoo, I usually agree with you, but when it is a book that is aimed at readers at about Grades One to Three, I find it highly inappropriate... censorship or not. I think it's just called common sense especially when we are trying to instill core values about bullying and name-calling in the schools. I'm not asking to have the book burned, just not available for young readers.
    BTW, there was also a line in there where the bad guy (disgusting dummy) thought “the DEVIL threw the jewel at me.“ Just think it is highly inappropriate for that age group... and it is clearly a children's book.
    www.southhilldesigns.com/carolwood
    www.facebook.com/charms2last.carolwood

The devil on my left shoulder wants me to reply, but the angel on my right shoulder is screaming: filter.....FILTER! - unknown

Zoo

Quote Originally Posted by tansie View Post
    Zoo, I usually agree with you, but when it is a book that is aimed at readers at about Grades One to Three, I find it highly inappropriate... censorship or not. I think it's just called common sense especially when we are trying to instill core values about bullying and name-calling in the schools. I'm not asking to have the book burned, just not available for young readers.
    BTW, there was also a line in there where the bad guy (disgusting dummy) thought “the DEVIL threw the jewel at me.“ Just think it is highly inappropriate for that age group... and it is clearly a children's book.
    yeah, I haven't read it, so I was just ruminating. It sounds like quite the bizarre book?

Zoo

oh, I get it. dumb, disgusting....it's all about D's....

Amazon.com: Dinorella (9780786811731): Pamela Duncan Edwards, Henry Cole: Books

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast