Default Dealing with Jealousy

"phew" what a day is all I can say !!

I never realized that at the ripe age of 13 months that a child could manipulate another child ... just seems too young.

Today was a quite day, I have my DD at home she is 15 months and one of my daycare children she is 13 months ... my DD was playing in the playroom totting back and forth with toys etc. The other little one was in my daughters room as I was sorting through some clothing and she played with a few books by my side. AS SOON as she heard my DD coming down the hall she jumped up and held onto me tight and she rested her head on my chest and would "not" let go. Of course, my DD looked at me with total disgust and walked away, the coast was clear and she sat back down and played with her books. I was in total shock, ... so I thought I would play along and see how far it would go.

So I called my DD's name and immediately she jumped up away from her books and latched onto me and started at my DD when she came to the door. I give equal attention to everyone but I never had this happen before.

This is her first time in daycare, she is nursing p/t and I've found her to be clingy the past few days. I put her down and we sit in a circle and play with a variety of toys but I'm simply stumped on how to discourage this behavior without her feeling neglected.

Any suggestions? I'm feeling sad for both of them and I need to nip this in the butt soon, I have two more LO's starting in January.

Thank you in advance

Expert Forum User

Hugs .... I think competition for attention is a normal part of infant/toddler development ...I would just continue offering equal attention to all during your work hours and reaffirming that your arms and lap have enough love for everyone and there is plenty of you to share ... eventually they will learn to trust in that ... if she is new to childcare and sharing an alternative caregiver that concept will be new to her - she needs to develop a trust and attachment that you will always meet her needs and learn you can do that while still meeting everyone elses!

It gets easier - honest

I'm so glad someone responded !! lol I felt so alone and I was hiding in a corner

Thank you so much totallyawake !! I've signed up for a workshop at Childreach that deals with promoting a healthy attachment in a childcare setting. I'm sure I'll learn a lot of ways of dealing with similar situations.

I've dealt with something similar with my son and daughter but the last thing I want is a cat fight

Expert Forum User

Sorry it took me so long to respond - had not been on in a while and missed your post by dong the 'new post thing' :

I will see you at Childreach cause I am signed up for that same course if I remember correctly - the one in January?

I guess one can never have too much information on establishing healthy attachments in childhood and based on the current research and what we know now about how children's brains development and how healthy attachments are established in the early years and if we miss the boat wee ones might never be able to ideally get there with learning to form healthy attachments - I definitely want to make sure I am getting them all on the boat