Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default What do you think of this? TVCC - CPRI - discharge etc

So we saw Dr Fox again today. We spoke for a while and we decided that he was going to discharge DD from TVCC in the hopes that it would put some pressure on Dr Nicholson at CPRI to see her and do a more thorough assessment. He and I both feel that perhaps the fact that she's seen so frequently by him (ie. 3 times in the last 10 months) is working against the CPRI intake. Anyway - I agreed to it, on the condition of course that we can refer back in to him at TVCC if we need to see him. He said that he is going to write a personal referral to Dr Nicholson in the hopes of bypassing some of the *3 to 4yr wait* (Is that even true? Any ideas of how long the waiting list is for Nicholson?).

He said that he can't truthfully change the diagnosis at this point, that she hasn't presented as having autism (nor do we feel she is autistic), and that he can't diagnose asperger's at this point (which we feel is a better fit). I can respect that, and am simply glad he's understanding of the fact that we need a more sophisticated assessment and is going to help us get there. I explained that the diagnosis of aspergers or autism would probably have gotten her more support at school - either fully or perhaps earlier before things had gotten this bad - and that the school was sort of pushing for us to get that diagnosis but I do respect that a doctor can't just go around throwing the diagnosis out there.

He was extremely supportive of our decision to homeschool. He was shocked at first but when I explained how bad things had gotten for her, he understood and said it was a brilliant move and that we can consider it a treatment, not just a way of educating her. He said it's basic therapy - change the environment to change the behaviour. I explained how she would instantly relax and calm down as soon as we left teh school - her reward or positive reinforcement wasn't going home and playing video games or watching TV...the reward for her was simply *being away* from school. Therefore, in that vein, we can look at homeschooling as more treatment and helping her to stabilize. He imagines that an assessment will actually be much easier in, say, 6 months, when DD is more stable and calm and we don't have those stressors from school in the picture.

Anyway, I have to admit I'll sort of miss that old guy. He's so lovely to my girl and to us and he really seems to want the best for her. He said he hopes he gets to see her more in the future and that he was sad to discharge her. I have heard so much about him but he's never been anything but warm and kind to us. When we got there and he called us in, DD ran over and sort of hugged him and he smiled and said "It's lovely to see you again *****" and she goes "I'm happy!".

So...thoughts? Is this a bad move? (The discharging)...I have no idea how long the wait list really is at CPRI. I hear different things from different people.

The wait list really, IS that long.

I hope things work out for you! We're waiting on Dr Nicholson too.

Expert Forum User

The wait list is really long unfortunatly, but it sounds like you have a good plan put in place untill you can get her in. I hope home schooling works.

i guess as long as he's willing to see you again if necessary 'without' a referral. otherwise it could end up being a PITA to get back to see him if your situation changes. good luck with future assistant and support.

Zoo

as long as you can go back, and he's not actively helping her, it's the right move. Yay for him being supportive of HSing too!

Sounds like an awesome follow up! I don't know about the wl for Dr N, but I have heard that double dipping at both agencies will slow you down some. I meant what I said before too, if there's any way you think I can help you with strategies and stuff, let me know.

That does sound like a good appointment but I can understand you would be leary to be discharged. I echo comments above that if need be he can see her again, it might be a good move. I've been offline for quite some time and did not know you had decided to home school. I hope it is going well. It sounds like the decisions are being made in her best interest. Fingers crossed that the waitlists aren't seriously that long.

Expert Forum User

Sounds like you did the best you could with what you have to work with. Yeah, funny how sad it is when you must part from a doctor you really like... they become like family... at least to me they have.