Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 25
  1. #1
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,335
    Rep Power
    724

    Default Tuition at Western?

    Can anyone give me an idea/estimate of what tuition per year is these days at Western? I haven't attended there in years and the amount back then would have been much lower! I got my degree back in 1996! I am seriously toying with the idea of applying to Kings College for Social Work program at some point. Have no idea if I might be able to be accepted in as a mature student or not? I certainly didn't have the greatest marks while attending Western but managed to get my degree.
    I cannot believe I am sitting here at the age of 36 toying with this idea but that was what I always wanted to do. About the closest I came to getting into a similar program was when I took the Social Services Worker program at Fanshawe a # of years ago.
    Not sure how we will afford this if I do go ahead with it and get accepted but where there's a will, there's a way as far as I'm concerned. I also don't want to be sitting here years later saying I should have done this but never even attempted it kwim? I don't like living with regrets.

  2. #2
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,085
    Rep Power
    469

    Default

    I think the full-time undergrad fees are about $5600/yr.

  3. #3
    Expert Forum User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Thomas
    Posts
    7,652
    Rep Power
    621

    Default

    Yikes!!! I graduated UWO the second time in 2002 and thought the tuition then was outrageous at $4400 or something. At King's for 2010/2011 it's just over $6k. Here's the link. It also has links on that page to financial aid info.



  4. #4
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,335
    Rep Power
    724

    Default

    Wowsers! Thanks ladies for this info. I don't recall what tuition was when I attended Western so many years ago but it was quite a lot less than this amount. Then again, everything has gone up considerably in cost over the past # of years.
    Still in the process of toying with this idea. Not set in stone just yet. I may not even get accepted in, so that would rule it out all together.
    Now tell me this (for those who do know) since I already have an undergrad degree in Soc, how long would I have to be in this program for? Would it be 2 years? any clue? thanks!

  5. #5
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,335
    Rep Power
    724

    Default

    Hi Zoomama:
    That link isn't working for me

  6. #6
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    princess2808's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Wrapping in the Ghetto
    Posts
    22,299
    Rep Power
    1039

    Default

    Wow 6k? It was 5300 when I was there (Kings) - guess that was a few years ago already though.....
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

  7. #7
    Expert Forum User

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    East London
    Posts
    6,114
    Rep Power
    297

    Default

    Shiver up & down my spine as a parent! I have son who is heading off to college or university next fall. Looking at a 3yr program to 5 yrs, plus rent & food is not in London. SO SCARRY. I fully believe in education is the way to go, but how much debt is enough and how much is too much?

  8. #8
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,085
    Rep Power
    469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 2boysmom View Post
    Wowsers! Thanks ladies for this info. I don't recall what tuition was when I attended Western so many years ago but it was quite a lot less than this amount. Then again, everything has gone up considerably in cost over the past # of years.
    Still in the process of toying with this idea. Not set in stone just yet. I may not even get accepted in, so that would rule it out all together.
    Now tell me this (for those who do know) since I already have an undergrad degree in Soc, how long would I have to be in this program for? Would it be 2 years? any clue? thanks!
    I think as long as you have the prerequisites, it would be 2 years full time. Prerequisities are....
    -Social Work 1020 and 2204
    -Social Work 2205 (or Sociology 2205 and 2206)
    And you need 3 category A courses (social sciences) and 1 category B course (arts/humanities).
    Need a 70% avg too I think.

    tuition is different depending on what program, and whether you're going full time or part time. My part time tuition for five courses this year is about $2900.

  9. #9
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,335
    Rep Power
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by momma26 View Post
    I think as long as you have the prerequisites, it would be 2 years full time. Prerequisities are....
    -Social Work 1020 and 2204
    -Social Work 2205 (or Sociology 2205 and 2206)
    And you need 3 category A courses (social sciences) and 1 category B course (arts/humanities).
    Need a 70% avg too I think.

    tuition is different depending on what program, and whether you're going full time or part time. My part time tuition for five courses this year is about $2900.
    70% average eh? Crapola, I didn't have that! I just kinda squeaked by and got a degree. Would that mean I'd have to go and take some courses over again and get a higher mark? yikes! Not liking the idea of that! My degree is in Sociology and I cannot ecall what any of the course #'s were hahaah! I'd have to pull out my transcripts at this point in time! Seems like SO many years ago....then again it truly was!

  10. #10
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    15,629
    Rep Power
    655

    Default

    Just to confuse you more they've changed all the course numbers. Personally I would just call them and ask what you will need to do to apply. Maybe get an appointment with someone.

    FTR, I'm at King's and my tuition is not over $6000, it's around what momma26 posted.

  11. #11
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,335
    Rep Power
    724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mamabear View Post
    Just to confuse you more they've changed all the course numbers. Personally I would just call them and ask what you will need to do to apply. Maybe get an appointment with someone.

    FTR, I'm at King's and my tuition is not over $6000, it's around what momma26 posted.
    I wondered if they'd changed the course #'s because I could have sworn when I attended there they had 3 digits in them and not 4 lol. Calling is probably a good idea like you say. Thanks.

  12. #12
    Expert Forum User

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    St. Thomas
    Posts
    7,652
    Rep Power
    621

    Default

    Hmm..not sure what happened with my previous link. We'll try it again - but \I was mistaken - it was for THIS year and subject to change for next year. Do different programs have lower tuition maybe and this is the max? I'm not sure.

    As far as already having a degree - I had a psych degree and went into nursing. I just contacted the program admissions people and they went through my transcripts and told me what would qualify as courses that I wouldn't need to do over again. Also, they may be more lenient on your average since you are a “mature student“ and being admitted after already having a degree in something else.

    Kings College Financial Matters

    2010 FEES (subject to change for 2010/2011)

    Tuition and Activity Fees

    Canadian & Permanent Residents $ 6,046.86
    International Students $17,069.86
    (includes $756.00 for University Health Insurance UHIP)



  13. #13
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    15,629
    Rep Power
    655

    Default

    That's super weird because I def. don't pay that much in tuition, and I'm a FT student at King's. Huh.

  14. #14
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    myrrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    25,807
    Rep Power
    1106

    Default

    I take 3.0 credits and I only pay like $3500?ish. Bwahaha. I you take 3.5 you bump up to full time tuition. This is the secret IMO. And you get full OSAP if you want to do it that way. No like medical benefits or extras though, you opt out of those. But for over two grand? I don't care man!

  15. #15
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    15,629
    Rep Power
    655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    I take 3.0 credits and I only pay like $3500?ish. Bwahaha. I you take 3.5 you bump up to full time tuition. This is the secret IMO. And you get full OSAP if you want to do it that way. No like medical benefits or extras though, you opt out of those. But for over two grand? I don't care man!
    That's what I'm doing next year. I'm barely using my bus pass at all this year, and we rarely use the medical benefits (no way near $2000 worth LOL but IF they added dental, I'd change my tune!) so it should be good.
    Last edited by mamabear; 11-16-2009 at 03:18 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Western Fair
    By MrsB in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-11-2009, 02:49 PM
  2. Well Western is at it yet again!
    By Carol in forum Student Moms
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 03:41 PM
  3. tuition
    By MomTo3 in forum Ask the Accountant
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 05:27 AM
  4. WTG Western
    By Carol in forum Student Moms
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 02:41 PM
  5. Was s/he a Western student?
    By momaswell in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2007, 05:59 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •