Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Is this normal?

  1. #1
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,419
    Rep Power
    997

    Default Is this normal?

    Dh went to give DS1 a hug from behind just now and noticed that he can literally feel his heart 'blipping' through his rib, almost like his ribs are to thin. or his heart is situated to close to his ribs.. or they're is too much space between his ribs. He IS finally going through a growth spurt however he has had a VERY difficult time with his skeletal structure the last new years.. his whole body has been off.. kind of tilted down to the right his left side up..
    Dh is VERY worried that if he gets hurt even by accident.. that it could do serious damage.. is this normal for a teenager (a growing one) or should we make an appt. to see his Dr. next week.
    as Dh says 'it pays to hug your kids'

  2. #2
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,419
    Rep Power
    997

    Default

    bumping

  3. #3
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    12,503
    Rep Power
    524

    Default

    Umm, I'm very skinny and I can feel my heart beat if I press my hand against my ribs... I would still suggest mentioning it to your doctor. If his skeletal structure seems off, maybe a check with a chiropractor could help?

  4. #4
    M2M
    M2M is offline
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    M2M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    london
    Posts
    23,930
    Rep Power
    1518

    Default

    If it is after some sort of strenuous activity it is normal. If it happens out of the blue, find your pulse and count the beats for 15sec then multiply by 4, if you get a number great than 100bpm (beats per minute) this is called Tachycardia and is a type of arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm). If this is the case I would make an appointment to see the doctor.

  5. #5
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Lost in my own little world
    Posts
    31,260
    Rep Power
    1402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mom2markus View Post
    If it is after some sort of strenuous activity it is normal. If it happens out of the blue, find your pulse and count the beats for 15sec then multiply by 4, if you get a number great than 100bpm (beats per minute) this is called Tachycardia and is a type of arrhythmia (abnormal heart rhythm). If this is the case I would make an appointment to see the doctor.

    Before you only count for 15 seconds, you need to make sure he has no irregular heart beat, because if he does (such as a murmur would cause- in most cases these are beign), you would need to count for the entire minute.

  6. #6
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,419
    Rep Power
    997

    Default

    its not the heartbeats that are weird. its how close his heart is to the outside of his chest wall. its just weird ... you can see it 'blipping' when he has his shirt off.. ykwim... his Dr. checks his BP and heartrate every 2 weeks. so no worries there. but dh just thought wow ... should we see that?

  7. #7
    Expert Forum User
    Mum09and11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,356
    Rep Power
    416

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    He IS finally going through a growth spurt however he has had a VERY difficult time with his skeletal structure the last new years.. his whole body has been off.. kind of tilted down to the right his left side up..
    Dh is VERY worried that if he gets hurt even by accident.. that it could do serious damage.. is this normal for a teenager (a growing one) or should we make an appt. to see his Dr. next week.
    as Dh says 'it pays to hug your kids'

    What do you mean his body is tilted to the right? like if he stands straight one side is higher than the other? and I can see my heart too, I'm confused


  8. #8
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    24,419
    Rep Power
    997

    Default

    a couple of years back we noticed something was off with this stature, found out after FINALLY getting a referral to see Dr. Bailey that his left leg is 1“ longer than the right, his left knee REALLY sticks out.. he CAN“T stand with his feet together like us.. hence his whole left side was that way.. his left shoulder is higher than his right. and is his spine is misaligned in a slight curve to the right.. he literally has noth grown ANY in 4 years. this year he finally has grown a little. it just looks very odd that you can see the heart pumping... thats all.. hopefully when we see the specialist in a month he has good news...

  9. #9
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    14,335
    Rep Power
    723

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    a couple of years back we noticed something was off with this stature, found out after FINALLY getting a referral to see Dr. Bailey that his left leg is 1“ longer than the right, his left knee REALLY sticks out.. he CAN“T stand with his feet together like us.. hence his whole left side was that way.. his left shoulder is higher than his right. and is his spine is misaligned in a slight curve to the right.. he literally has noth grown ANY in 4 years. this year he finally has grown a little. it just looks very odd that you can see the heart pumping... thats all.. hopefully when we see the specialist in a month he has good news...
    Not sure about the heat beat thing, a specialist would know the best for that but it sounds like he also has a moderate level of Scoliosis going on with his back. So do I and lemme tell ya, it is not the least bit of fun. I had no idea as a child or a teen that I had it (I did always suffer from leg pain and shoulder pain though). It wasn't until a few years ago when i was sent for an xray that it was discovered I suffered from Scoliosis (and a moderate level at that). I am in chronic pain from it. I wish something could have been done or that it could have been discovered many years ago when I was a child. I may not be in quite the pain I am today had it been. In some ppl, it gets worse with time and age and can lead to many other health issues.
    Best of luck getting your sons health issues looked into and hopefully properly and thoroughly dealt with.

  10. #10
    Expert Forum User
    Mum09and11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,356
    Rep Power
    416

    Default

    My back is misaligned too, when I stand one side is higher than the other. Could this be why I get leg pain also???? My mom asked my dr. many years ago and he just checked my back and was not concerned. One side of my rib cage sticks out further than the other also hmm


Similar Threads

  1. Normal?
    By princess2808 in forum Expecting and Post Partum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-08-2009, 10:25 PM
  2. is this normal?
    By An in forum Terrible 2's & Trying 3's
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-27-2009, 09:02 PM
  3. Is it normal for her to get this hot?
    By Bitter Suites in forum General Support/Advice about the Kids!
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 04:30 PM
  4. this cant be normal (TMI)
    By M2M in forum Chit Chat
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 07:15 PM
  5. Is this normal?
    By greyhoundlover in forum Expecting and Post Partum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2008, 07:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •