Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Friends have been approved for adoption

Very good friends of ours have recently been approved through CAS to adopt a child. I am thrilled for them as we were one of their personal references and we can't think of better parents for a child.

I really really want to get them something in advance of the child's arrival, but at this point they don't know the sex or age of the child. Once the match is made I imagine it will all happen quite quickly. I guess I'd just really like to help them prepare for a kid, but how do you prepare for a child when you have no idea what age or sex they are?

Help? Any ideas? I would offer to cook or would bring over a bunch of food but Matt's an amazing cook and I'm sure he's got 2 months' worth of meals in the deep freeze (or if he dosen't already, he will soon).

I'm thinking there's nothing I can do in advance, is there....

:?
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

Banned

What about a baby book? I've bought my babybooks from Hallmark and they come in a binder. The front part of the book is the traditional way (you know, things about both sides of the family, the baby shower, the day you were born, etc...). But then there are supplemental pages at the back for adoptions - when we first heard you were coming, how we prepared, etc. You just remove the pages that aren't relevant and use the pages that are. Plus it is a binder so you can easily insert photo pages or whatever you want. In ours I have a certificate for their RESP, a certificate that a tree was planted in their honour, a photo with each relative that they've met, anything I like to remember!

Great idea. Thanks!! That is something I could give them now...and then when they know what the kid is, we could get some clothes of gift cards or something.

Keep the ideas coming!

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

The baby book sounds like a really great idea. Congrats to your friend
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Administrator Site Admin

What ages have they asked for?? Maybe I will have their kids first! Wouldn't that be funny?

Congrats to them!! Now onto the waiting!!

If they definately want little ones you could buy them a diaper bag or something else that they would definately need but if they were very open with the age of the child or sibling groups then it gets a little more difficult.

Maybe I will have more ideas once I know the age range.

PS - Are they open to foster with a view or just straight adoption??
    Leslie

Zoo

I'll c&p from my reply elsewhere...but add that I love the baby book & RESP ideas!!

That's wonderful news!!!

You could go funny, with an "it's a boy...or a girl...doesn't matter -- we're delighted!" type of announcement thing or card...a gift card for the children's place or rona (for redoing the bedroom for the new arrival) or Rogers video or one of the online photo printing places or the Bay or something? An empty collage-type photo frame to fill with pictures? Or photo albums? World's greatest dad stuff? Babysitting or "painting crew" 'coupons', promising help when they need it? Throw them a surprise congratulations party with mutual friends? Season pass to children's museum or storybook gardens? Naked hula dancers with jello shots?

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie
    What ages have they asked for?? Maybe I will have their kids first! Wouldn't that be funny?

Congrats to them!! Now onto the waiting!!

If they definately want little ones you could buy them a diaper bag or something else that they would definately need but if they were very open with the age of the child or sibling groups then it gets a little more difficult.

Maybe I will have more ideas once I know the age range.

PS - Are they open to foster with a view or just straight adoption??
    Haha, that would be funny!! I don't know if they are open to fostering prior or not. I will ask.

I believe they said any age, any sex, but they would prefer a toddler (because there are lots of toddlers in their life and they think it would make the transition easier). I also think they would prefer a boy but I don't think that they specified that - they were very open to a number of physical conditions as well. They just want to be good male role models for a little boy because there aren't enough out there for some of these kids. But I know that secretly, Matt wants a girl. So who knows what they'll get.

A diaper bag is a good idea. I need a non-girlie one though.

Congratulations to your friends!!! I'm thinking the congratulatory gift should be something for them in particular, and then you can get the child-related stuff when you know more (like a shower etc.)? Do they have a garden? Maybe a special plant/flower for their "Newest Addition" that will grow with them!

girlsmum

Friends of ours fostered a little girl that they worked for 3 years to adopt, it was because she was half native that it took so long but this beautiful little girl is waiting for her new brother or sister to arrive in October.

I had a tubal when I didn't think I could have more children after this difficult twin pregnancy, but I wish I could have more children but don't have to be pregnant to be a parent.

What our friends did was scrapbook the evolution of this little girl, all the while on eggshells hoping she wasn't going to be taken away. So what about offering some scrapbooking supplies for the new little one??? It's very personal and unisex for either a boy or girl. These ppl will have gone through their year and a half of homestudy for approval, something we're thinking of going through for another young child to adopt, so a nice scrapbook of coming home day and beyond sounds really cool??? I don't do the scrapbooking thing myself but I hear it's quite the thing!! I've seen my friend's of their adopted daughter and they look really attractive!

Congratulations to your friends! What an exciting time!

I love the baby book idea too.

I actually have a baby book that you may be interested in trying to find. It's called "Our Chosen Child". It's very good as it is centered around being adopted. Some of the page titles include:

Our family tree
    Introducing Us
    All about Mom
    All about Dad
    How we met
    We were married
    Our honeymoon
    Waiting for you
    When we first saw you
    Showers of love
    Special people who love you
    Naming ceremony
    Adoption Day
    Firsts
    Weekdays
    Weekends
    traveling with you
    Bath time
    First -fith bday
    school
    holidays
    keeping you well (doctor visits)
    growing up
    middle years
    teenage years
    your special day
    a sharing
    looking ahead

If you want to take a look at it, let me know.

ETA: Sorry...I shrunk it in photobucket, but the smaller pic won't show up
    ~LBG

Maybe the stepping stone box sets you can get at Michaels...

Doesn't matter the age or sex and would be a nice addition

Something they could do together for yrs to come
    Mom of 2 and 2

Expert Forum User

I am sooooo excited for your friends! Although I don't know them personally they are gonna make AMAZING parents.

What about some sort of book that they can keep track of their journey through the adoption process. I have no idea if something like this exists but I bet there son or daughter would really appreciate this information once they are older.

Expert Forum User

Smile Something to buy for friends adoption

Coming from experience I know what it is like not knowing what to get and when. We were fortunate to have a baby placed with us last year. Mind you at the time going into the adoption process with CAS we were looking for a child under 4 years old. We were also told it could take anywhere up to years to wait for a child. But by the time we were done our classes and our homestudy it was less then a years wait. Our dd was 8 months old when she was placed with us and we finalized this past June. We now have her bio sister who will be 7 months in a few weeks. We have had the little one since she was 6 weeks old.

But as to what to get. We did ask for nutral things at first. We also went with a theme for a childs room that was for any age of a child. This way if like us a baby can grow into it. So may be blankets. Or if you sew a quilt or wall hanging.

If your friend needs someone to talk to about adopting through CAS please feel free to send them my email. I would be glad to help answer questions. My email is suddserifec@hotmail.com.

Hope that this helps.
    Dana