Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Window Treatments for Sliding Glass Doors

Hi,
    I was all excited because we just put in a new sliding glass door where just a regular window used to exist. But now I realize that we lack privacy and we get a ton of sun in that window during the summer. I need something for mostly evening privacy and also shade in the summer. And since I love my new doors, it also has to look good. Give me your best suggestions
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

ha, ours are bare too!

my friend has those sliding panels on hers, if you have room on the side?

Expert Forum User

I love the look and feel of plantation shutters over a glass door.

Denver Wood Shutters | Plantation Shutters | Spectrum Window Design | Denver, Colorado

I'm not super fond of the “wood“ finish on the shutters in the picture, but they come in all colours and hundreds of styles.

I think I would just use drapes on a decorative rod depending on how much space is on either side. I don't really like vertical blinds and I'm thinking shutters won't work on a slider..would they? A tricky problem for sure. I'm curious to watch the thread and see what others come up with.
    Last edited by Carol; 11-11-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    I think I might just use drapes on a decorative rod depending on how much space is on either side. I don't really like vertical blinds and I'm thinking shutters won't work on a slider..would they? A tricky problem for sure. I'm curious to watch the thread and see what others come up with.
    Shutters work beautifully on sliders - if I can find one, I'll post a picture of our sliding doors with shutters.

I think I might just use drapes on a decorative rod depending on how much space is on either side. I don't really like vertical blinds and I'm thinking shutters won't work on a slider..would they? A tricky problem for sure. I'm curious to watch the thread and see what others come up with.
    I put a thick curtain rod and some really thick black suede curtains from JYSK with the Grommits on them. Keep the sun out and give privacy too!!! I wasnt a fan of vertical blinds either so I needed something else. Good luck!!

Here are a couple of other things I have found. I am leaning towards option #1 (not in that exact fabric)

Sliding panels
    http://www.baliblinds.com/BaliBlinds...panel_4med.jpg

Cellular Blinds
    http://www.blindsgalore.com/media/trt/0704217l0.jpg
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Expert Forum User

DH and I got blinds for our whole house but we just have the 3 bedrooms right now installed. Our builder, Covenant Construction uses Blinds by Designs and they are in the northend of London. I do not have their phone number but they are in the phonebook. The company is a small family one but the attention to detail is impecable.

You will most likely talk to Katie, who is the receptionist and then ask for George or Nikki.

Hope that helps.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

I really like the sliding panels. I haven't seen them before, but they look great.

...Rereading my post and to clarify I don't have a sliding door, I'm just curious. The word “might“ should be “would“.
    Cole is 8 years old! January, 2005
    Nate is 5 years old! January, 2008
    Judah is 2 years old! October, 2010
    Avery Grace born & passed Feb 4, 2007.

"Why did I not know that birth is the pinnacle where women discover the courage to become mothers?"
    Anita Diamant (The Red Tent)

ikea has a selection of sliding panels like pps have shown, for a decent price and the have the hardware for hanging them for cheap too.

IKEA | Textiles | Window textiles | Curtains | Blinds

just scroll down and have a look see.

hth!

Expert Forum User

I have these curtains on my patio doors. Most of the time they're open.

IKEA | Window textiles | Curtains | IKEA STOCKHOLM BLAD | Pair of curtains
    Lynn, newly employed mom to Evelyn (13), Sophie (10), and Georgia (6)

GIRLS ROCK!!

Expert Forum User

I've seen those sliding fabric panels, doulamom and i really like them. i think they look really nice

i just have light sheer-type curtains over our sliding door because it suits the kitchen and it was cheap. i've seen those panels in quite a few places and there are some really nice options for fabrics/textures, etc.

i've seen verticals that are sort of encased in sheers if that makes any sense. they are made to look like sheers but still function as a vertical blind. they're not bad, but i still think they look like a vertical blind
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

I have beautiful silk lined curtains on my patio door...it took me forever to cover them bc I could not decide but I opted for the curtains for easy access to the backyard plus they look classy and go with the rest of the decor in the house....I bought them at Bouclair and just had someone bring the hemp up a bit....

Expert Forum User

With LOs in the house I recommend something washable. In our last house we had heavy velour curtains from Ikea. I didn't wash them very often but it was a lifesaver that I could. One pulled off to each side and didn't take up very much space, easy peasy.

We are redecorating right now and have opted for a roller shade (with blackout on the back to protect furniture from sun damage). Roller sounded really simple to me when our decorator suggested them, but the fabric is beautiful (there are so many choices!) and it is lightweight enough to go up and down easily. There is also a panelled roller available - one panel slides across the other - maybe what PPs have mentioned? We also got a flat roman for the kitchen window in matching fabric to dress up the area a little.

Bonus - these are east to clean, which is a must for us with a 16-month-old and another on the way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast