Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default I think she has croup...best course of action?

DD has had a tickly cough for a couple of days but tonight it's turned hoarse and barky almost. It sounds croupy but I don't actually know because none of my kids have ever had it. I'm going to attempt to take a video and upload...meantime, I want to avoid the ER. Do I have to take her in? I really don't wanna!

No, I don't think you need to take her anywhere. It gets worse at night and can get scary. Try to keep her from crying, that makes it worse. Which DD is it? My DD1 had it last year and was able to understand that even though it hurt, crying = coughing = more pain. If it gets bad and she's having trouble breathing/stopping coughing, bundle her up and go outside. Cold air helps. There were some good threads on here about it last year you could search out. Will she sleep with you or in your room? That might make you feel better about assessing her breathing all night.

Banned

If you have popsicles give her one. The best way is to keep the swelling down. Ice water popsicles cold night air.

With Brooklyn we open her window a crack and put her in her warm pj's and fuzzy socks. I give her a popsicle before bed and a glass of ice water for in her room. We have a cool mist vapouriser that we put in her room on the floor beside her bed.

If she wakes up I hear her and if she needs more .. I will sit on the porch with her and I wrapped in blankets eating popsicles.

This works for Brooklyn she knows what is going on and that I can help her breath. She stays calm and so do I.

When it is Noah he freaks out and starts to cry and that makes it worse.

Trying to keep you both calm is a big thing. I hope you don't need to take her in. If you do, the ride to children's should actually help her breathing a lot.

Good luck.

Ack, I just don't KNOW if it's croup or something else. It's definitely barky...there's a bit of congestion in there but mostly it sounds barky. I am going to dig out the humidifier, make sure it's clean, then put it on.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I hope she's feeling better soon!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

http://forum.londonmoms.ca/23451-sou...croup-but-isnt ? I don't know. I guess just trust your instincts. When you start to get that freaky feeling, take her in.

Expert Forum User

oh wow...that sounds awful, geo i'm so sorry your dd is sounding like that. croup is so scary-sounding, and i don't know if i'd be able to determine croup vs. something else either

i can't believe how many sick LO's there seems to be lately.
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Zoo

outside outside outside!

but if she is struggling to breathe, ignore the links and head for emerg. Let me know if you need anything, I'm here.

If it gets bad she might need a steroid or some oxygen, don't want to freak you out but it can't always be managed at home, especially after they get freaked out or stressed.

Thanks everyone....she seems to be asleep now with just the odd cough here and there in her sleep. I'm going to throw on the humidifier now (I had to clean it...first use of the season) and open her window. We will watch her closely tonight to see.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    outside outside outside!

but if she is struggling to breathe, ignore the links and head for emerg. Let me know if you need anything, I'm here.

If it gets bad she might need a steroid or some oxygen, don't want to freak you out but it can't always be managed at home, especially after they get freaked out or stressed.

i remember my parents taking me out for drives in the middle of the night with the windows down.

i also drank a strange home-made hot drink.....Hmmm...suspicious...

that sounds scary though....hope the rest of the night goes okay, geo
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

We have dealt with croup many times in this house. My DDs seem very prone to it. Like others said the biggest thing is to stay calm and try and keep your DD calm. Take her outside in the cool air... we often end up sitting out on the porch in the middle of the night.

However, if it seems really bad like she is gasping I would take her straight in to emerg. My youngest does well in the cold air, window open to sleep, etc so I don't rush her in but my oldest doesn't seem to get much relief from that. I take her straight to emerg as soon as I hear it because when they are at their worst they are seen much faster and it is easier to prove that it is croup.

Once I got my youngest all bundled to go to emerg and by the time we got there she seemed fine. It didn't take long in the cool air and being upright for her to settle down.

Anyhow, I hope your DD is able to sleep well tonight (and you too!).

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

This seems to be what DD has now.... she was good in the steam shower, but DH can not get her to sleep... she just keeps coughing and coughing.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

How did she do? Any better this morning?

Banned

Just checking in . How was last night?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast