Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default To join or not join the little gym

Hi LMs,

Need your help and advice here...my DD just turned 4 mos and I have heard great things about the little gym plus its convenient distance wise.

We went today for the introductory class and DD enjoyed it but I think she was trying to soak everything in...I was really concentrating on how she was reacting for her it was play time for 45 mins....and ofcourse when we got home she napped for 1 hr was exhausted I think!

"They Say" that kids who enroll their motor skills develop faster and their strength increases blah blah.

Anyway I'm a little hesitant given it is going to cost us about $200(includes yearly membership) for the rest of the semestre from now until Feb 5. It's once a week as well...

What are your thoughts? For those of you who had/have younger children did you sign up? Was it worth it? Did you see a significant change in your child? If you did not sign up why not? What was the deciding factor?

TIA LMS!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

i took my 15 month old for a trial class and it didnt seem worth it to me at that age..my other 2 started at 3 and 4 and lvoe it though. So I guess it depends on you...
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

She is 4 months? I vote “save your money“. Maybe when she's 3 or 4 YEARS. I think that most of the parents get more out of those classes than the kids - and you can get the interaction for free by going to community playgroups and drop ins and programs at the library, etc.

I personally love The Little Gym, and wouldn't send a child younger than 2 there. And probably try to aim for closer to 3. I think it's bright, busy, overwhelming. Your love and attention is all she needs right now.

Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear. Why not sign up for a free Books for Babies class at the library? See how you like something like that? Little Gym will always be there....

Thanks for posting this newmom29, I was thinking about taking my little man to the Little Gym! But it sounds like it might be better to wait till he is a little older!

Expert Forum User

I did the trail class with DS when he was that age and I liked it but we couldn't afford the cost. Instead I found community playgroups and books for babies, baby songs, public swimming and other free/close to free activities that we really enjoyed.

Banned

At 4 months old I would not spend that money. I don't think you'll do anything there that you couldn't do at home.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My DD THRIVED at the little gym..... she was a premie who was behind in motor skills..... she could not do anything before joining there and we left the summer session with her being able to sit up (if you sit her there), rolling everywhere and constantly trying to get on her hands and knees to try to crawl. Mind you... a large bit of that was Madilynn seeing other kids do it...... however they were great way to try to get her to do tummy time (previous posts of mine talk about how much she hated that and would never do it) etc... and it was even reccomended to us by a NICU staff to help with her development since she was behind even for her corrected age. We did not sign up for the fall sessions because I am not sure when I am returning to work.....
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

I take my DD and she LOVES it! We take what we learn and practise it at home and I would like to think it helps with her skills! You were probably in our class today, but we missed it due to an appointment. It's so much fun! She started a couple of months ago and she's now almost 9 months.

i went with my friend on the friend day, but i wouldn't spend the money and didn't sign up for dd#2, 5.5 months
    Mommy to three adorable kids!

Quote Originally Posted by Geomamma View Post
    She is 4 months? I vote “save your money“. Maybe when she's 3 or 4 YEARS. I think that most of the parents get more out of those classes than the kids - and you can get the interaction for free by going to community playgroups and drop ins and programs at the library, etc.

I personally love The Little Gym, and wouldn't send a child younger than 2 there. And probably try to aim for closer to 3. I think it's bright, busy, overwhelming. Your love and attention is all she needs right now.

Sorry if that isn't what you want to hear. Why not sign up for a free Books for Babies class at the library? See how you like something like that? Little Gym will always be there....
    Geo thanks for being the voice of reason....I really like how you summed it...I think we are going to wait until she is a little older, 1 to save $ and 2 so she actually appreciates it when she is older.

Thanks LMs for providing me with the insight really appreciate it...this is why I luv LMS.

No way would I ever spend that kind of money on entertainment for a baby. I also vote join some of the free community playgroups and books for babies.

Expert Forum User

I put DD in when she was 7 months and she loved it. By the end of the semester she would have needed to move up a class b/c she was crawling and climbing up on stuff that was beyond what the class was doing. I think it's fun to take them and to see them have fun and interact with other kids. There are def cheaper ways for them to do that though, but it depends on what you want. I couldn't afford it the semester after that and never bothered in the summer b/c we're outside a lot. I would like to again soon and probably will when the next semester starts.

Expert Forum User

I would also not spend the money for those classes for a four month old. I'd save it up because you'll have plenty of activities to spend that money on when your child is older.

We tried it our son was not quite 2 and he was more interested in running around. but I think it is a good program but maybe when he is almost 3. I would save you money for now

Expert Forum User

I'm in the save your money camp too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast