HippieMama

Default A friend needs a referral to a London OB (or a midwife)?

A friend of mine isn't sure what kind of prenatal care she would like (okay, she knows she wants good care!).

I knew that I wanted to use a midwife, so I didn't research OBs at all. She has a GP, who will be handling her care until 22 weeks, but she's not sure who to go to after that. She knows that midwives have waiting lists, so she's considering getting put on their list now just in case.

Can anyone provide a good overview of OB care in London? What's the norm?

Also, any OB recommendations would be great. Thank you!

Expert Forum User

Default Re: A friend needs a referral to a London OB (or a midwife)?

You don't need a referral to a midwife, but if you're looking for a recommendation, I loved mine, who's now at Talbot Creek in St. Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by HippieMama
    She knows that midwives have waiting lists, so she's considering getting put on their list now just in case.
    Good idea. She should do so ASAP though. Since midwives are in such high demand, if she waits to call, she may not be able to get in with one.

I don't have any recommendations for an OB, since my OB birth (with DS1) was in Windsor, and I wouldn't recommend her anyway because I was unhappy with the care she provided.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

If she wants a midwife, call now and get on the list at all 3 clinics (TVM, Womancare, and Talbot Creek). They assume care from the start of pregnancy so she could begin seeing a midwife right away.

If she wants a doctor, I can't recommend the doc I had for my 1st because she's a family doctor, not an OB. But I liked her ok - Dr. Hammond at Victoria Family Medical Centre (east end). She was fine, but the care you get with a midwife is just so much better, so I was glad to switch over for my 2nd.
    The poster formerly known as Geomamma

HippieMama

She lives here in London - do the Talbot Creek midwives have admitting privileges at London hospitals? I don't think she's interested in a home birth. And after the baby is born, will they do London house calls?

Expert Forum User

Talbot Creek has privileges at St. Joe's.

I was under the care of 2 of the midwives who now are with Talbot Creek. At the time they were with Thames Valley. I love them so much that if we have a 3rd I will seriously consider driving from NW London to St. Thomas for my care.

Call all the places. She could also call to see if they have an information session coming up.

I went with a friend to a couple of her OB appts and what I took away from her appts was that she was mostly a number. She waited FOREVER to get in and was only able to see her OB for 5 minutes. My appts with the midwife were mostly on time. Occaisionally cancelled because the Midwife was at a birth. Never rushed, usually a half hour in length. I LOVED that they included my DD in the check ups and let her help when possible.

Midwives offer all the same testing an OB does. If there is anything that the midwife comes across that is out of her hands then she will transfer the care of the patient to an OB.

CALL ASAP though. They take previous patients first and then fill in any remaining spots with new patients. Don't let waiting 2 weeks on a waiting list scare you.

Oh and have your friend talk to her Dr to make sure that he/she will except your friends unborn child into their care after he/she is born.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    I went with a friend to a couple of her OB appts and what I took away from her appts was that she was mostly a number.
    This is how I felt with my OB as well.
    formerly Kathy

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I went with womancare, and I had a choice of either hospital to give birth at.

Expert Forum User

I had Dr Gratton at St Joe's and really liked him. I thought he was highly knowledgable in comparison to some of his replacements that filled in while he was on holidays. If I was having another one I would definately use him again.

I had Dr. Maruncic at Vic as OB, and he was awesome. Very friendly, he was really good. When I had to bring Jack with me, he would have Jack "help" find the heartbeat, and hold it on my belly.
    He was on holidays when Seth was born, and Dr. Kirby delivered - DH and I were both very impressed with her. She was great.
    Barbi, mommy to
    Jack and Seth

I'm with Talbot Creek and they have no waiting list. They will take you right away. And they have admitting privilidges (I cannot spell that word!) at St. Joe's, as a pp said. They're great, I've been very pleased with them! Their lobby is set up like a playroom for little ones with a chalkboard, play kitchen, slide and various toys and playfood, and Ava is included in every appointment and gets to have her heartbeat checked, too (which is the highlight of the visit for her). I had an OB (in another province) with Ava and it was an awful experience. I knew I wanted a midwife and am very happy with the care we've received so far this time around.

Good luck to your friend!

When I was in labour with Savannah, Dr. Michael Maruncic was the Dr that came in. I had Dr. Kirby, but was very unhappy with her and the way her office handled things. I would call for days on end and never get a return phone call. And waiting for 3hrs sometimes at the office was to much for me.

As for DR Maruncic, he was amazing. and If she wants an O.B tell her to really think about him. I have heard a lot of good things about him as well.

I am with a Midwife now and WM and I feel like they care about me, and the baby. I am not a number like with an OB.
    Savannah (July 17,05)
    Riley (Sept 14, 2007)

Yeah, I'll second or third.

I had OB for first and wait times were too long and appts. too short. Pay for parking. Miss more work. Didn't feel impt. Then you'll only get that OB for delivery if he/she's on call, about every 8 days.

I had midwife for second. Relaxed appts. Good aftercare at home. Don't have to bundle little one up to wait in the Dr's office with sick people.

I think most GPs are more accepting these days. If you want a midwife just have to transfer your care to her and then back 6 weeks after birth. To get a midwife, you must call and set up appt. very soon after pregnancy confirmed, at least by 3 months.
    DS1 Oct 21, 2003
    DS2 Nov 20, 2006