Default pregnancy and weight gain *long*

AHHHHHHH!! I H.A.T.E all the pressure there is out there regarding pregnancy and the appropriate amount of weight to gain.

Why do they need to measure health in such a willy nilly, unsubjective manner? Why not pay attention to if the PERSON is actually healthy or not, instead of immediately categorizing them??

before I continue on my rant, I need to say, this is another reason why i LOVE my midwife. They ask me to weigh myself, but just so they can write it down - never say anything about it really. Last time with DS I gained 80+ lbs at the end (yes a lot), I was very healthy, I still excersised regularily etc, anyway they made me feel like CRAP - TWO times nurses said WOW you've gained a lot!" they called in other nurses to look at the scales, to discuss my weight gain, to order extra ultrasounds etc. I understand that to some extent extreme weight gain is cause for concern - so I'm glad any issues were ruled out - I'm complaining about the way they went about it. I felt like CRAP

ANYWAY I was talking to a past co-worker and she commented on how much weight I've put on. Thanks B*tch I'm pregnant - whatever. She tried to make it all nice "oh but you carry it well and you're glowing" blah blah - then asked me how much I had gained, I said 22lbs. I am still in disbelief that someone would talk about someones weight to them, pregnant or not, but get this.. then she goes on to tell me that you're only supposed to gain 25lbs during pregnancy, it was a fight for her, but her Dr kept stressing the importance of it etc. OMG

I just told her, well, looks like I'm going to go over that. Then I patted DS' head and said that it didn't look like the additional 50+ lbs with DS did him any harm.

eat properly - that should be the end of it.

(sorry from my all-over-the-placeness)

Expert Forum User

Oh I hear you! With DS I gained 40, but most of it in the second trimester. When I was up 30 lbs by 6 months my coworkers swore I'd be up 60 by the end. My MIL swore I'd never lose it. After all, she never did. My neighbours told me not only do you never lose the babyweight but you gain after baby because breastfeeding makes you hungry.
    My ancient doctor gave me hell when I'd gained 5lbs by 12 weeks. One of the nurses made a rude comment that made me cry when I gained 10lbs in a month. I spent a lot of that pregnancy feeling so bad about the weight gain. And I lost it all without even trying by 4.5 months pp.
    This time, I don't care. For some reason I seem to really hold onto weight when I'm pregnant. Last week for example I had the flu and ate almost nothing and while I didn't gain anything I didn't lose either. And before I got the flu without changing my eating habits at all I gained 4lbs just like that. I think my body likes to put on a little extra for breastfeeding. So I'm going with that. My midwife said if I gained 40 again this go round it would be just fine.

[/url]

I *heart* midwives

I had to add to my annoyance everything that is written about pregnancy week by week always has “ you should be gaining X amount of weight by now“

oh and I hear you about packing on the lbs.. I was just telling DH that I think my body thinks its a seal when I'm pregnant - pack on the lbs! meh, I think if my body is doing this, it's doing it for a reason. I lost all of mine by 9 months pp

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I gained little weight. Total of 30lbs with my first (and all I did was eat and sleep), and 20lbs with my second (with a midwife thank goodness, actually lost weight in the last trimester). I got RIDICULED when I was in the ER after hemmoraghing and passing out after ds' birth. The nurse asked how much weight I had gained (since I just gave birth to most of it), and when I said 20lbs she was just about furious and said I should have gained so much more. Eat me. Jeebus.

I have to agree with Amy, it’s not fun at this end of the spectrum either. Last week I ran into an old friend and she actually called me a ‘pregnant skinny *****’ to my face, nice.

I’m still under my pre-pregnancy weight and I while I’m steadily gaining it all back, I’m still under a microscope. Everything that I put into my mouth is questioned by just about everyone. It’s a no win situation. My advice, as long as the baby is healthy, indulge! Food tastes so good and nothings better than the feeling of a satisfied craving - enjoy it.

Besides, who cares what others think, you’re “Foximamma” for a reason!

with ds I gained 48 lb, and with dd only 17. They both weighed 8 lb 14 oz at birth. I was much healthier throughout my pregnancy with ds. My immune system sucked this time around.

I think it's nobody's business but your own. And I wouldn't hesitate to say that to anyone who has the audacity to ask.
    Willow
    Mama of David (6) and Mary (2)

I can't believe anyone has the balls to comment on your weight gain (other than your doc/midwife). I get making sure the baby is healthy when there is a low or high weight gain, but come on.
    I actually don't think it's THAT important... case in point: I am signifigantly overweight. When I got prego with DD, my doc said I should really try to gain a minimum of weight. My OB's office scale doesn't actually go up high enough to weigh me, so they just never bothered. I thought it was because they just didn't have the means to weigh me. Then I was admitted due to my BP, and they took me one floor up where there was a scale I could use... could have used the whole time had it been important enough to watch.

I'm just saying that the weight you gain (or don't) in pregnancy really doesn't matter much. You need to eat properly enough to grow a healthy baby... and we all choose how we take care of ourselves!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

LOL, oh, I haaaaate pregnancy weight. They gave me such a hard time with DD1 when I put on nearly 50lbs. I couldn't control it at all! I truly didn't eat any more than normal, I was sick for most of it! Then with DD2 I ate whatever I felt like figuring eff it, I was going to gain weight either way. I only gained 37!

This time around, I'm already at 30 and I don't care at all. Everyone keeps doing the 'oh, you're all belly!' crap, which I know is a lie bc my ass is huge. LOL!! Whatever. As long as you lose it, who cares how much you gain.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My OB never commented once on my weight gain. With #1 I gained 24- 26 lbs and #2 I gained 12 - 14lbs. She was more concerned about real issues like blood pressure, my sugars etc...
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

I started out pretty skinny so in my mind, and from what I read I could gain up to 40 lbs and still be in the “healthy“ range. However, my family Dr. definietely let me know I am to gain only 25 lbs... um hello, I gained like 10 before I even got weighed by him at my first appointment so if he had known that I'm sure he would have had a heart attack I gained 45 in the end, no way would I have gone 25 lbs only, that's nuts. However, when I was sent to my OB she never mentioned my weight so I asked her since my fam. dr. always made me feel terrible (he said it will be hard to get off after- which was not my concern at all) and she told me she doesn't care about weight gain, phew I liked her!!

I hear u....I gained 27 with DD but was told I was huge all the time bc I'm 5 foot nothing and was all belly and boobs...funny bc ur preggers ppl think they can insult u about ur weight and get away with it bc they end the convo with u look great ur glowing must be excited...I felt like screaming half the time saying to them listen if u want to talk great but u mention one more time how big I look ur going to wear my shoe (hehehe)....