M2M
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Question another chit chat thread from me...

Alright so obviously Im bored.

I start wheable in february. Classes start at 8:30 am Meaning I will be taking the 730 bus to get proper transfers.

Class is done at 3:30 so I will be home roughly before 4:30.

Heres my delimma. I dont have child care. I know this is going to sound a lot like my thread before starting work. But really this course is important for me to take.

Would I be smart to figure out a caregiver to come here? or put him in a daycare? Markus will be needing to get to school, and well I wont be here to take him.

god I dont want to go through this all over again, but this will be vital to my other schooling.

I think you should see if someone could come to your house, and take Markus to school, and then watch your little one in your home. ETA: When I worked midnights we had someone who would come to our house in the morning (6am!) to watch the kids between the time that DH went to work and before I got home from my shift.

M2M

thats what I thought was best too. And in the long run, probably a whole lot cheaper.

I took an ad for a home daycare right beside wheable, its 30 dollars a day per child, and she takes them to school. But I dont want Markus to have to switch schools. Although really in the long run I will do what needs to be done.

Expert Forum User

I would take a look in the school your son goes to. I know that in my school there is a board to post things on. Maybe you could do up a flyer and see if there are any Moms in the area willing to help you out taking M to school. As well as then it may make your life easier decieding what you are doing with your youngest. (HDC near weable or your home school)

Expert Forum User

What about the daycare inside Wheable? I am not sure on the prices but they do have one.
    Stacey

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Having someone come into your home will make it easiest for you.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Do you have class every day?

If you put N in daycare, how would you get M to school?
    Is there before/after school care available at M's school?

How close are you to M's school?
    How close are you to Wheable?

M2M

Do you have class every day?
    Yes everyday 8:30 till 3:30

If you put N in daycare, how would you get M to school?
    I would just put both into Kidlogic (I know a lot of people hate it there, but we loved our experience) and they drive Markus to and from school.

Is there before/after school care available at M's school?
    Yes they do have before and after, but I dont know how it works.

How close are you to M's school?
    I am about ummm 4 or 5 blocks away from Markus' school? I know it takes 20 minutes walking with the boys. I think mapquest said it was .38 kilometres

How close are you to Wheable?
    I dont think I am at all close. I live wharncliffe and Commissioners. I would take the baseline to the hospital than the kipps over. I think.

I think in some ways putting them in daycare would be better...you wouldn't have to worry about back-up care, they would be in a supervised setting...are you eligible for subsidy--that would make it the less expensive option.

Having someone come to your house would probably make it easier for you, but unless it's a friend/family member, it's probably gonna cost a lot. And what would you do if your caregiver was sick or something? I know at Wheable they are damn strict about missing classes.

The #1 stops right across the street from Wheable, but the #16 Adelaide also stops a block away. I'm just thinking that the Baseline is a pain, it only comes once an hour doesn't it?

M2M

Yep from what I seen on the schedual its once an hour. The only busses near me are the 12 wharncliffe, the 24 baseline, the 26 jalna, and if I walk a bit the 15 westmount.

I dont qualify for subsidy, so I would be paying full daycare costs unfortunately.

When I worked my mom watched the boys for me and it was 25 dollars a day. But I had to take the kids to her, and she would only do it so long as she didnt have a job or plans.

If I didnt think this course would truely benefit and add to the schooling I already have then I wouldnt even bother.

How much is KidLogic? Would it be more or less expensive than having someone come to your place to watch them? Would you get your mom to do it again, or have someone else? How would you find someone--I'm just thinking if they are at a daycare, at least you know those people are ECE educated and regulated.
    I checked the schedule, if you're going that early in the morning, it runs every half hour.
    What course are you taking? PSW?

M2M

yep the PSW course, I already have my CSW. But I dont have my highschool. Im 4 fluff credits short. and this course will give me 6 credits towards my highschool. So killing 2 birds with 1 stone.

Nolan is 42 dollars a day or something, and Markus is 27? I have it in an email somewhere.

I wouldnt have my mkom do it again because I know she is actively looking for a job.

Okay so 42 and 27 is 69/day. 5 days a week, that's 345/wk. I'm thinking you could get someone to come to your house for less than that. Someone qualified even! What about inquiring at Fanshawe--seeing if any recent ECE grads are looking for a job?

Expert Forum User

May I ask why you don't qualify for subsidy? You can pm me if you want. I qualify for subsidy and my dh has a decent job and I work too.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by mom2markus View Post
    thats what I thought was best too. And in the long run, probably a whole lot cheaper.

I took an ad for a home daycare right beside wheable, its 30 dollars a day per child, and she takes them to school. But I dont want Markus to have to switch schools. Although really in the long run I will do what needs to be done.
    Just before you think about this option, make sure that it's even an option for Markus to change schools. TVDSB has REALLY cracked down on out-of-area students, and even though he would be attending a dcp in the area, he would still be considered out-of-area. If you are at all considering this, I would call the board office and see what they say about him switching schools.