Thread: diarrhea

Expert Forum User

Default diarrhea

Clark has had diarrhea for approx. the last 48 hours. He had a Dr's appt yesterday, because his bum rash flared up again and was starting to become painful for him. I mentioned the poop issue to the Dr, but he wasn't overly concerned. Clark is not dehydrated, and there is no blood in his stool, and he's not vomiting. However, this still concerns me - every diaper I change is full of soupy poop, and there have been LOTS of them (16 since Wed at noon). I was given a container for a stool sample, should anything change or the diarrhea doesn't stop. So...when do I start to worry? Is this normal, or could it be a "side effect" of something (ie, getting molars, or teething in general?). Perhaps I'm paranoid, I just need a second opinion from other moms!
    TIA

Administrator Site Admin

You could try the BRAT diet so that you aren't giving him things that make it worse??

B = bananas
    R = rice
    A = apples/applesauce
    T = toast

That almost always calms things down for us then you could see if it doesn't calm down and try to figure out what it is then.

It has been going around though so could just be a bug that will resolve itself within a couple of days.

Good luck and hugs to you and Clark!
    Leslie

Expert Forum User

DD has had diarrhea for the past 4 - 5 days although not frequent. She poops the same as she usually would, just runny. She has a low-grade fever but is in good spirits and drinking tons. I too was debating bringing her to the dr. but more so b/c she has been grabbing the side of her head and telling me her ears hurt. I'm not much help, but there may be something going around. When is there not?

Expert Forum User

Well, I sound terrible saying this, but I'm glad that there is at least something going around...!
    Thanks for the reminder of the BRAT diet, Leslie - he's been eating pretty bland anyway (just to try to clear up the rash), but I'm going to stick to that.
    Barmybee - Clark's been tugging on his ears, too...but the Dr said they're fine. ARgh!

Expert Forum User

Sometimes little ones will pull their ears when they are teething so maybe that is the case with your son. I wouldn't wait too long to see someone if the diarrhea doesn't subside. I would be concerned about dehydration because of his age so keeping his fluids up is important. If you are not satisfied with your doctor's response/diagnosis I would take him to a walk-in clinic or urgent care centre. I guess I am speaking from experience because when my daughter was 18 months she got the flu and got dehydrated quickly and needed to be in the hospital with IV fluids for 3 days. I'm sure that your son will be ok though and I don't mean to alarm you- I guess I just know how quickly they can get dehydrated when they are young.

Good luck and I hope that he is feeling better soon! Keep us posted!

Cathy

Expert Forum User

Cathy - glad you posted what you did. My gut has been telling me that if I don't feel right about the situation, I should take him back...thanks!

Expert Forum User

Oh good, I'm glad. Let me know how it works out!

Cathy

Expert Forum User

I called the nurses line this morning b/c Tylenol didn't seem to be helping DDs fever. Explined the situation and she said no need to bring her in. Suggested bland foods, no juice, 1/2 strength gatorade and keep her hydrated. She said this bug can last anywhere from 5 - 14 days and not to worry unless her fever hit 105F. I don't know about you but I feel much better knowing that. Hope Clark is ok!

BTW DD has stopped grabbing her ears and is now saying her tummy hurts. Must just be body aches & pains (for her). Not saying it's the same for Clark.

Expert Forum User

Default diahhrea

my L.O had diahrrea for almost a week with no appetite. I always start him on acidopolis at the first sign of it and always with antibiotics. you can find childrens acidophilis at loblaws in the organic fridge section. it is a hebal remidy... the same stuff in yogurt and it just adds to the normal flora of the bowel and helps keep things in check..... has your baby been on antibiotics latley?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hope things clear up soon Poor babies! I always feel awful when the kids are dealing with vomiting/diarhea etc. I always wish I could take it away from them.

I second the BRAT diet, lots of fluid and lots of sleep.

My ds didn't respond well to fever medication until I overlapped his doses within the last hour of effectiveness; alternating between different brands (Tylenol, Advil, Motrin, back to Tylenol). I was informed by a nurse in the hospital (in emerg with an ear infection that they couldn't "see" so they couldn't treat) that it's perfectly fine to use this approach, since the doses on the bottles are actually UNDERdosed to prevent accidental overdosing (meaning if you accidentally gave more in the syringe than the exact amount on the bottle, it will not harm them). The main focus is to get the fever down.

(((hugs))) to you and your lo's