Thread: child care

Default child care

http://childcaretoday.ca/files/ADCO_34.PDF

It's often disturbed me that the only discussion of a child care policy/funding is based on day care centres which is not our care of choice for several reasons. I was glad to read there is now a large advocacy group to lobby for choices for parents including daycare, home day care, stay at home, etc.
    Madelyn, Cooper and Beatrice's Mom

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

definately an interesting read. thanks for sharing

As a home daycare provider I see pros and cons with this. Of course, I completely agree with a parent's choice to place thier child in either centre based or Home daycare. I also agree that parents should not be penalized for choosing home daycare in such a manner as the inability to receive subsidy. All parents need to choose the specific setting that they think will most benefit their child.

However, this is where I have some hesitation in fully supporting the idea....I fear that by changing the system there will be more regulations in place for home daycare providers. Now, don't get me wrong here. As soon as a home daycare provider starts talking about fear of regulations many people assume this means that the provider is not on the 'up and up'. This could not be further from the truth in my case and many providers. Just because we do not follow any daycare regulations other than only being able to care for a maximum of 5 children plus our own this should not imply that we provide substandard care in dirty or unsafe conditions. Alas, I digress...

Anyway, to get to my point

I find that infant (12 month) daycare is very hard to find. Nearly every call I get from a parent inquiring as to availability is for a child just coming off of mat leave. In most cases, I turn them away as I just don't have room for any more children. My fear is that by offering subsidy etc to parents using home daycare then the government will then start to enforce age restrictions or ratios or worse, minimize the number of children a home provider has in care. This would lead to an even greater shortage of daycare spaces available.

I just worry that it will turn out to be a double-edged sword. I hope that I am wrong but somehow when the government gets involved the system always starts to get complicated and we end up with a bigger mess than we started with. Maybe I am just cynical. I don't know!