Expert Forum User

Default Special Needs workshops that you would recommend?

I thought we could have a thread about workshops you liked or didn't like so that other parents could see if there may be a valuable workshop/program to take.

We attended the Hanen Program - It take two to talk
    The Hanen Centre > Language & Literacy Resources & Training for Parents & Professionals

Dh and I both attended all the sessions. There was 8 (I think) sessions that we went to from 7 to 9:30 on Tuesday nights and then 4 visits in the home to videotape DH and I with DS using the skills learned in the workshop.

When we started DS only had 5 to 10 words by then end of the 2 1/2 months he was up to at least 75 words and was starting to use two words combinations. We still pull out the sheets as reminders of different strategies we can use to help him with his speech.

We are also using the More than words book from the Hanen Centre to work on his speech and social interaction.

ETA: we were referred to the program by our Speech Therapist at UWO - Tyketalk location

Expert Forum User

TVCC is havinga workshop day on Nov 21 - I plan on going. It is $10 per adult and $5 per child 6 - 16 yr or $25 per family - it includes lunch. You get to choose from an assorment of topics.
    Thames Valley Children Centre - School Age Children with Special Needs
    hopefully this link works, if not you can find it at the TVCC website under calendar of events

The Leaky Brakes 101 course at CPRI was really good. They have it online now and I think they still run it a couple times a year? It was free and had some great information for parents of Children who have Tourettes, ADHD and related disorders.

Child and Parent Resource Institute (CPRI)

Autism Spectrum Disorder seminar and Positive Systems Approach seminar both put on by Regional Supports Associates.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by twinmommy View Post
    I thought we could have a thread about workshops you liked or didn't like so that other parents could see if there may be a valuable workshop/program to take.

We attended the Hanen Program - It take two to talk
    The Hanen Centre > Language & Literacy Resources & Training for Parents & Professionals

Dh and I both attended all the sessions. There was 8 (I think) sessions that we went to from 7 to 9:30 on Tuesday nights and then 4 visits in the home to videotape DH and I with DS using the skills learned in the workshop.

When we started DS only had 5 to 10 words by then end of the 2 1/2 months he was up to at least 75 words and was starting to use two words combinations. We still pull out the sheets as reminders of different strategies we can use to help him with his speech.

We are also using the More than words book from the Hanen Centre to work on his speech and social interaction.

ETA: we were referred to the program by our Speech Therapist at UWO - Tyketalk location

I found this workshop very good as well.
    TVCC runs the More than Words Hanen program. Which is geared toward Autistic children. Runs pretty much the same as the More than Words workshop with the exception of some different stratagies.

I know that it is a little costly, but I am going to highly recommend the Autism for Ninjas course mentioned in a different post. It is done by two very interesting men who have much experience in the special needs area of education.
    Please take some time to look over the other post. The course is well worth the money in my opinion.