Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JK starting age

Default JK starting age

My twins will be 3 in Jan.....

Will they start JK Sep of 2010 or 2011??

Expert Forum User

Expert Forum User

Yup 2011 ... the cut of date is that you must turn 4 by Dec 31st of that schools start year....since they will not turn for until January they will have to wait until the following start of the school year.

Thanks

I was hoping for 2010..... but at least I know now.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

yup 2011! my dd is going to be so ready in 2010 but will have to wait. boo!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

A couple of moms in my neighbourhood were telling me that our local school was taking kids with January and February birthdays into JK this year. One of them has a kid with a March birthday who just missed the cut off, apparently. So, this is all second hand, but I want to get to the bottom of it, because I have a January baby, too.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jill+2 View Post
    So, this is all second hand, but I want to get to the bottom of it, because I have a January baby, too.
    I have had children in child care with early January b-days who whose parents felt they were more then 'ready' socially, emotionally, cognitively and such to start school and parents really wanted them to be with their peers who were within the cut off date ....but even when parents tried to push the issue with the schools - the school board would not BUDGE on the policy .... you have to turn 4 by December 31st of that school start year...it is legislated and how funding is dictated....and being almost a year behind other child in age might not be an issue at 3 and 4 but at 15 or 19 or 21 when you are almost a year behind in milestones like being able to drive, vote, drink and so forth - it becomes very tricky.

I would certianly investigate if the indivdiual school in your neighborhood is indeed breaking the education act ...I would question WHY a school would do this - what is the 'benefit' of breaking the rules? Also how are they getting this 'past' the school board and the government who bases the funding based on the number of students enrolled - is the school 'fugding' the birth dates of the children on enrollment to get extra funding or what is making them seek out more children for their programs?

I personally would be reluctant to enroll my child in a school where the rules that govern them are so easily broken / shady ... cause if they break this one presumably to boost enrollment cause I personally cannot see any other reason for it - what else are they willing to alter to their funding benefit and is it really 'beneficial' for the people who are educating our children to be people who are willing to break the rules that govern them - what kind of role modeling is that

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My daughter is January third and they would NOT consider allowing her to start school until the September AFTER her 4th birthday. Frustrating.

Interesting! I've had a few friends in both Quebec and the States start their kids in a bit early, so I didn't question these moms too closely on the details. The school is University Heights, btw.
    My daughter could have easily been a December or January baby, and I didn't know which one to hope for. It's probably not fun being the oldest or the youngest!

We are encountering problems now with DD being the youngest in her class (Dec baby).
    I honestly wish we would have waited. Her teacher even told me when she started that most ppl are choosing to not put there kids with late bdays in until the following year, we have since met 3 children in town that are DD's age and not yet in JK.

DD is doing great with the academic part of school but having issues with some of the socializing. Don't get me wrong I am not going to pull her right out, but I would have been quite happy had she been a Jan baby and had to wait the year.

Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly?
    –Frieda Kahlo (1907-1954)

Expert Forum User

I feel your pain!!! My dd2 is early January, but luckily my son is late December! I'm a December baby, and was always one the youngest, but our class was very small, and a couple other kids had skipped, so there were a couple even younger than me by grade 2. I don't know if I remember having problems, but do remember getting my name on the "no toys" board alot...hmmmm, they made us do math and letter sheets instead of toy time, but that was a looooong time ago lol.
    Last edited by RetroMama; 10-18-2009 at 03:58 PM.

Expert Forum User

I'd much rather be the oldest than the youngest in the class (and I was -- January birthday). On average, the late-in-the-year birthday kids (ie, youngest) can have such a harder time compared to the kids that are older: it's not easy being up to a year less developmentally mature than your peers.

Especially since curriculum is taught by grade, not by individual readiness: starting that year early would mean being expected to learn everything a year younger (and possibly less ready) than they otherwise would have, not just in kindy, but throughout their whole school career. Plus social development, emotional maturity, etc. wouldn't be as far along either, compared to where they'd be a year later, which can present additional challenges. So even if you could try to have them start a year early (which I'm pretty sure that you can't anyway), I wouldn't. Being an early-in-the-year-birthday kid is primarily an asset in school (with the system set up the way that it is), not a drawback.
    formerly Kathy

I think I may put them in daycare when the turn 3 if this is the case (just for a few days a week).

I work mainly from home and its very difficult to get work done around here or even talk on the phone sometimes with them in the background.

Plus I think they need interactions with other children, they are very bonded (even have their own “twin“ language) so it would be of benefit to them and me.

Does anyone know if they automatically separate twins in school? Or is it up to the parents to decide?

Expert Forum User

I have an interesting story to share that has to do with 2 children in my 1/2 split class. One girl in my grade 1 is born at the beginning of January. She scored a level 8 on her diagnostic reading assessment and according to board levels this is high for a grade 1 student in September. She is an A-B student and considers herself to be very clever and a great reader. Another girl, this time in my grade 2, is born in December (just 21 days before the first girl) and she scored a 10 on her reading assessment. This, according to board levels, is low for a grade 2 student in September. She is a C-D student and considers herself to be a horrible reader and finds school difficult. If this grade 2 student was in grade 1, she would be top of her class and probably have a very different image of herself as a student. Kinda makes you go Hmmmmm...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by million$momma View Post
    I have an interesting story to share that has to do with 2 children in my 1/2 split class. One girl in my grade 1 is born at the beginning of January. She scored a level 8 on her diagnostic reading assessment and according to board levels this is high for a grade 1 student in September. She is an A-B student and considers herself to be very clever and a great reader. Another girl, this time in my grade 2, is born in December (just 21 days before the first girl) and she scored a 10 on her reading assessment. This, according to board levels, is low for a grade 2 student in September. She is a C-D student and considers herself to be a horrible reader and finds school difficult. If this grade 2 student was in grade 1, she would be top of her class and probably have a very different image of herself as a student. Kinda makes you go Hmmmmm...
    This portrays my frustration completely. My daughter is a january baby, considered 'advanced' for her grade in all areas, great marks on her report card. My son is a late december baby, and ON TOP OF being globally delayed, is one of the youngest kids in his class and has so many barriers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast