Default Home phone and cell phone or just cell phone?

I've been on the fence about possibly getting rid of my home phone and just sticking with the cell phone. Do any of you do this? Do you miss your home phone? It would save me an extra $50 per month by getting rid of the home phone. Still not sure I want to get rid of the home phone though.....
    Jen
    Jenuwyn - previously known as KnCmama

Social Media Guru

I would get rid of my home hone but I can't (we need it as we live in an apt so we can buzz people up) However there are advantages to it, long phone calls that would otherwise use up my minutes, talking to banks (more secure). Maybe just switch to a lower plan...we only pay $24.00/ month for our home phone.

Expert Forum User

We just thought about doing this, and bell offered us such a good deal to keep out home phone, that it really wasn't worth it.

i use a cell phone no home phone here....i haven't had one in years....when i lived in an apt. they got it connected to my cel to buzz people up!!!!

when me and SO were working we were out alot.plus we like both having are own phones...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I would get rid of my home hone but I can't (we need it as we live in an apt so we can buzz people up)
    they can use your cell for that a few people in my building only have cells for the buzzer.

as for ditching the home phone check into a cheaper landline the last thing you need esp with a special needs kid is to have no power, a dead cell phone and an emergency

Social Media Guru

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    they can use your cell for that a few people in my building only have cells for the buzzer.

as for ditching the home phone check into a cheaper landline the last thing you need esp with a special needs kid is to have no power, a dead cell phone and an emergency
    Not really...because it would either be my cell or SO's cell and if one of us were out etc, just wouldn't work. $24.00 for my home phone though I can't really complain

Last edited by kandv; 04-22-2010 at 04:27 PM.

Expert Forum User

Wasn't there a thread on this here a couple of weeks ago? Maybe I'm mixing up this board with another.

We've been landline free for over 4 years and love it. We have a spread out house and have a system from GE that allows our cell phones to connect into a home system. Like a regular cordless phone sytem with more than one handset. No landline needed.

If you have a car and car charger you'll never be without batteries. I've also seen winders for cell phone batteries. At Canadian Tire I think.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingpretty View Post
    This is totally convenient too for people who live alone... a friend of mine use to just buzz himself and use is own cellphone to open the door for him.... so cool!

I'd get rid of cell to be honest with you....had we not signed a contract... I was without one until Yale was born....and I never EVER use it... and in the case of an emergency...I'd just scream for a cellphone.... albiet I don't drive in the middle of nowhere or anything... so no need for that kind of “in case of emergency“
    Yale 4yr old
    Kane 1yr old
    and baby makes 3!!! Errr... 4!

Expert Forum User

We haven't had a home phone for a few years now... Don't miss the bill at all. We never used it though, never answered it- if it was someone who knew me and wanted to reach me, they knew my cell #. It was mostly just spam calls we were getting on the landline anyways..
    Last edited by Kari2217; 10-16-2009 at 05:21 PM.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

if you just have the basics on your phone you can get it a line from bell for $23 thats all we pay plus tax. No call display etc....
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

I only have a cell phone, and have my buzzer hooked up to it. Just make sure you think about how many ppl you would have to talk to during the day and what your plan is. I have 450 mins during the day which is plenty, and my phone is also free at 5pm. If I need to call somewhere and know ill be on the phone for awhile, i just use my friends home phone so Im not using all my mintues.