Default Throwing everything

My DD is not 25 months old and she throws everything on the floor. When we are eating dinner she sits in her high chair pulled up tot he big table and whenever she gets mad or decided she is done she will just throw everything on the floor (Even if it IS full of noodles). I don't know what to do. I have tried taking it away from her or making her let me feed her so she can't touch the bowl, I have tried smacking her hand and telling her no, I have tried ignoring it, moving her away fromthe table....everything I can think of.
    It is not just at dinner either it is anytime she feels she is done with what ever she has or she gets frustrated.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

This is developmentally normal! Do not smack her hands. Just calmly take it away/clean it up and ignore the behaviour. Any type of reaction from you will encourage her to do it to GET the reaction. She will grow out of it.

I know it's a phase and it's normal for children to do this. My son went through it and his tossing food drove me mad! His high chair is pulled up to the table as well. I would keep a plate on the table with his meal and put small portions on his plate and refill it as he ate. Otherwise it would all end up on the floor. If he tossed something I would firmly state we do not throw food, then I would turn him around for about a minute so he couldn't see me. It allowed me to get my temper under control and served as a very small time out. I learned not to clean the food up while he watched because then he would toss it to watch me get the broom out and clean it up. Now if and when he throws things, it's rare and he helps clean it up, hand over hand if necessary.
    Mom to the Desmanian Devil ( May 05 )

Expert Forum User

Yep, mind did this, too. With ds#1 I tried different techniques to stop it, but as pps said, the attention just encourages the behavior. With ds#2 I put a mat under his chair and just tried to be there to catch the flying dish. But mostly I just spent a lot of time cleaning it up. I think the phase only lasted a couple of months.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

I hope you guys are right cause this food throwing is awful!

Our mobile, automatic vacuum cleaner does a wonderful job of cleaning the messes that Malcolm throws off his high chair.....often before it even reaches the floor. Our model is canine, brown, black and white in colour, with an annoying whine when not enough food comes its way!!
    Lori, Momma to Malcolm and Ben

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by chky0925
    Our mobile, automatic vacuum cleaner does a wonderful job of cleaning the messes that Malcolm throws off his high chair.....often before it even reaches the floor. Our model is canine, brown, black and white in colour, with an annoying whine when not enough food comes its way!!
    LOL! That would be the beauty of having a dog!! For sure!

Ya I have a few cats that help out in that area too. One of them ate peas the other night :?