Default Pumpkin Question

As some of you may know pumpkins are on sale this week at Metro 1.99
    Well here is what I am thinking but need some one to explain what I need to do lol.
    I am thinking of buying a few and making some pumpkin stuff, pie, muffins, soup ya know that kinda stuff, now in the past I have only ever bought the canned stuff for baking so how do I do it if I buy the pumpkin itself? I know I know you're all laughing, becuase I am

ETA: So I don't sound completely dumb here is what I shall say do I just scoop out the seeds and carve out the inside stuff? lmao
    Becky Mom to X and C

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I don't know but I do know that when planting pumpkins, there are different kinds for cooking than there are for jackolanterns. I believe you could use either, but with a cooking pumpking you are going to get more 'meat' for your buck, and with a jackolantern it'll be bigger and have less gunk in it.
    I do think you *can* use either though, so given the sale, I'd probably give it a whirl. Now someone who cooks successfully can chime in
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

anyone one please help I am not sure what I am suppose to do lol
    Becky Mom to X and C

I think Pie Pumpkins are the little ones. I've never done it from scratch, honestly, but my impression is that the little ones are the good ones for baking - softer and sweeter.

I applaud you for trying, honestly, but the canned pumpkin puree is just so much easier. LOL.

ITA with the littler ones. the bigger ones will be a little bitter unless you have a TON of sugar in it. thats what dh says anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Geomamma View Post
    I think Pie Pumpkins are the little ones. I've never done it from scratch, honestly, but my impression is that the little ones are the good ones for baking - softer and sweeter.

I applaud you for trying, honestly, but the canned pumpkin puree is just so much easier. LOL.
    really okay so can I use the can stuff to make pumpkin soup?
    or would it be too sweet (wait I have never made pumpkin soup so maybe it would fine) lol see as you can tell I am very much use to the canned stuff for baking sweets only
    Becky Mom to X and C

Expert Forum User

I just learned a few years ago - until then I had no clue, and my first attempt was pretty funny because the recipe referred to the “pulp“ and I was confused about which part was the pulp. I have used various types of pumpkins, and they will all work just fine, but the pie pumpkins (smaller) do have a bit more flavour.

So...think of the outside orange part as the skin, and then the pulp is attached to that, and then the seeds and the stringy gunk (that's the technical term ) in the middle.

1) Cut open your pumpkin - it doesn't have to be neat.

2) Scrape out the seeds and the stringy gunk (I roast the seeds with a little melted butter and garlic salt on top - that's my favourite part)

3) You can either bake or boil the pumpkin. I've only tried boiling it, and it still comes out tasting really good. You can put it on a cookie sheet and bake just like you would a squash, though.

Cut the pumpkin into chunks (larger pieces if you're going to bake it or into smaller chunks if you're going to boil) and cook. Allow it to cool until it is OK to handle. Use a spoon to scoop out the pulp and place in a blender or food processor.

4) Puree and drain off excess liquid.

At this point, you can separate it out and freeze some if you want and then you have some to use when pumpkins are not in season. It still tastes better than the canned stuff, but of course, not as good as if it was fresh.

Then depending on your recipe, you just add seasonings (see the Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie recipe I posted in the pumpkin pie thread). Usually cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. It smells soooo good!

HTH!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

I make my own pumpkin puree. I never boil it as it adds a ton of water to it. Only buy 'pie pumpkins'. They are a different variety grown for their taste. As above cut in half, scoop out seeds. Place face down in a casserole dish or pan with sides. Cook at 350 until a fork easily pokes through it. Allow to cool and scoop out the flesh. I divide into 1 cup portions and freeze.

FYI...if you read the side of a can of pumpkin you will find many of them just say 'squash' as the ingredient. It is actually butternut squash..... SO you can do the above with any squash and substitute into recipes that call for pumpkin. Have fun!

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Quote Originally Posted by Becks View Post
    really okay so can I use the can stuff to make pumpkin soup?
    or would it be too sweet (wait I have never made pumpkin soup so maybe it would fine) lol see as you can tell I am very much use to the canned stuff for baking sweets only
    As long as you're buying pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.

For soup you could try just using butternut squash - slice down the middle, scoop out the seeds, place face down on a pan with about 1cm water, and roast for 45-60 mins at about 400 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by Geomamma View Post
    As long as you're buying pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.

For soup you could try just using butternut squash - slice down the middle, scoop out the seeds, place face down on a pan with about 1cm water, and roast for 45-60 mins at about 400 degrees.
    hmmm I gave up and decided to just buy the cans of puree mehhh and I am on my way upstairs to make some pie Yummy dh is still figuring out what we should have for dinner and I am thinking pumpkin pie lmao he says no way I say hell yes :P
    Becky Mom to X and C