Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default to move or not to move. that is the question.

So my lease is up at the end of the year...and I'm debating whether or not I should move in January.

I want to stay because:
    -I've moved 4 times since DS was born and I'm kinda sick of it
    -I have a friendly, responsive landlord
    -I don't want to put DS through the stress of adjusting to a new place again
    -the rent here is supercheap for the amount of space I have
    -I've had a couple of bad experiences moving into new places, and to be honest, I'm a little afraid!
    -it would be really bad timing since I'm going back to school in January and DS will be going back to daycare
    -I have a main floor apartment which is perfect for my cat

But, I want to move because:
    -I hate the location, not close to anything, and I want to be downtown dammit!
    -the mice are not going away, lol
    -I have mold in my bathroom, no window, no fan, and I'm allergic to it
    -my neighbors are driving me bonkers
    -I want to live in a house, not an apartment, or at least a townhouse or something!
    -I'd like to be closer to daycare, school, library, YMCA, grocery store, bank, etc etc

Help! If I'm going to move I need to give my notice at the end of this month...

Banned

Downtown is over-rated IME.

Expert Forum User

Smile

The mice and the mold would be make me consider moving too. I think that you will find something much better. You may have a smaller space, but one that is convenient and not going to make you sick is a big plus!
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

There is a Semi for rent on my street, rent is 995 plus utilities.

Its 5 minutes from downtown near forward and riverside, if you want the exact address PM me.

I agree about the mice and mold not being a good situation but its hard to find a good rental in this city for whatever reason.

I was helping an employee try and find a rental a few months ago, and I had no idea how expensive it was to rent a house in this city, really to expensive.

Expert Forum User

Will your building not fix the mice and mold? that's a health and safety issue!

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by mum_of_four View Post
    Downtown is over-rated IME.
    In what way? I'm just looking at downtown in terms of convenience, since I don't drive and have to rely on my feet and the bus. I am downtown nearly every day, so I figure my life would be easier if I lived down there.

Quote Originally Posted by greenmomoftwins View Post
    There is a Semi for rent on my street, rent is 995 plus utilities.

Its 5 minutes from downtown near forward and riverside, if you want the exact address PM me.

I agree about the mice and mold not being a good situation but its hard to find a good rental in this city for whatever reason.

I was helping an employee try and find a rental a few months ago, and I had no idea how expensive it was to rent a house in this city, really to expensive.
    Thanks, but 995+ is completely out of the question for me. I'm paying 675 incl right now!
    I know there are good rentals out there, but they're hard to come by. There's a house right now for rent for 699 incl in the perfect location for me, but they (obviously) won't hold it until Jan for me

Quote Originally Posted by jenelen View Post
    Will your building not fix the mice and mold? that's a health and safety issue!
    Well, tbh, I haven't told them about it yet. The mice I thought were gone, so I wasn't worried about it. But my cat found another one tonight.
    And the mold is nothing major and I just noticed it about a week or so ago. And I'm not sure exactly what they could do. Even if it gets cleaned it will come back because there isn't enough ventilation. And afaik, it's not mandatory to have a fan and/or window in the bathroom of rentals.

I would probably move. I don't drive and I would NEVER NEVER live downtown, or uptown, or near lots of ppl, lol. BUT if thats what suits your needs, then I say location location location.
    We totally took a smaller apt then we could have had in another location just because we liked this location, and I was just saying how much I loved it here still almost 9mths later.
    Go with your gut.
    the only thing that worries me is in the price range you seem to be looking in , an apt downtown may be hard to come by or not worth living in, ykwim?

Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly?
    –Frieda Kahlo (1907-1954)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by momma26 View Post
    In what way? I'm just looking at downtown in terms of convenience, since I don't drive and have to rely on my feet and the bus. I am downtown nearly every day, so I figure my life would be easier if I lived down there.
    Well my little piece of downtown is a student ghetto, so it sucks. The location is convenient for many things and fabulous running routes nearby, but there are no kids nearby for my kids to play with, if they went to school it would mean a school bus, yada yada yada.

Yeah I know my price range sucks. First place was great, but it was TINY and only one bedroom. Second place had serious ant infestation and horrible neighbors. Third place had black mold. Now this place has mice and mold. I wonder if the next one will be even worse???

I love being down town, we are on a dead end street, loads of kids running around, no through traffic.... some areas are bad but you can find good pockets.

My next move is out of town, I love Dutton and West Lorne, and I am moving to one of these towns hopefully in the summer.

But I think if downtown is where you want to be then its where you should be.

I am going back and forth about moving for similar reasons: location! I noticed a lot of places for rent on Stanley St, which is York St right at Wharncliffe. It's a bit sketchy which means lower rent, and right between Wharncliffe, Wortley Village and downtown. I'm super car dependent right now and dont' like it. We should both move to Stanley Street LOL.

Stanley St sounds good to me

We should rent a duplex LOL! Seriously if you walk along there, you will see several signs with phone numbers. Some for one bedrooms but some for two. I plan to go writing down numbers one of these days.

Depending on what you consider 'downtown' I used to live on Simcoe St. Parts of it are quite calm and rents are cheap there also. One block south of Hamilton Rd.

I think the key to low rent is sketchy streets central to everything.

I'll have to do some wandering around one of these days, for sure. As long as I can walk to say Dundas/Wellington with DS in under 15 minutes, I call it downtown!

I need to meet you one of these days...see if you are roommate material, lol

Ha! I'm definitely not roommate material. I am lazy as all hell. But I am definitely coffee-friend material. We should totally hang out! I have a suspicion we live kinda close-ish to each other...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast