Default Pumpkin pie recipe?

I need to make 4 pies for this weekend but, i can not find my recipe I usually use
    So, anyone have a great recipe I can try....
    I don't use the 'puree', I make my own right from scratch. Also, I do prefer to use tenderflake pie crusts instead of my own (i love them and mine never taste as good)
    Thanks for the help!

We used the recipe from the Joy of Cooking a couple of weeks ago and were impressed with the results - the library more than likely has a copy
    Mom to Bridget, born October 2008

Expert Forum User

Here's the one I use for Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie - I usually do my own crust, but the recipe actually calls for Tenderflake.

1 9 inch deep dish pie shell
    2c pureed pumpkin
    1/2c 18% cream
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2c packed light brown sugar
    1/4c granulated sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp each: ground ginger, nutmeg and salt

To prepare the pumpkin, cut into wedges and remove seeds. Place wedges, including peel, in a large saucepan of boiling water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until pumpkin is very tender - about 30min. Drain very well. When it is cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp. Puree in a food processor until smooth. Drain excess liquid.

Preheat oven to 400*F

Thaw pie shell for 10 min. Prick the bottom and sides of the shell with a fork every inch. Bake in the centre bottom of the rack for 8-10min. Place baked shell on a baking sheet. Reduce oven temp to 350*F.

In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin puree, cream, eggs, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt until combined. Pour into the prepared shell. Bake on centre rack of oven until filling is set when the shell is jiggled slightly. ** The centre will not be firm ** about 35min. Let cool completely before serving.

TIPS:

Serve with whip cream on top.
    DH LOVES this but made in a graham cracker crust.
    I normally double the recipe to make 2 pies.

thanks for the recipe!! i am going to make them tomorrow night..it's probally easier to buy the puree but i love the smell of pumpkin cooking in the oven...and graham crust sounds good, maybe i'll try at christmas!

Expert Forum User

I've never baked the pumpkin to prepare it - I always chop it up and boil. I wonder what the flavour difference is?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMama View Post
    Here's the one I use for Old Fashioned Pumpkin Pie - I usually do my own crust, but the recipe actually calls for Tenderflake.

1 9 inch deep dish pie shell
    2c pureed pumpkin
    1/2c 18% cream
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1/2c packed light brown sugar
    1/4c granulated sugar
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp each: ground ginger, nutmeg and salt

To prepare the pumpkin, cut into wedges and remove seeds. Place wedges, including peel, in a large saucepan of boiling water. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until pumpkin is very tender - about 30min. Drain very well. When it is cool enough to handle, scoop out the pulp. Puree in a food processor until smooth. Drain excess liquid.

Preheat oven to 400*F

Thaw pie shell for 10 min. Prick the bottom and sides of the shell with a fork every inch. Bake in the centre bottom of the rack for 8-10min. Place baked shell on a baking sheet. Reduce oven temp to 350*F.

In a large bowl, stir together pumpkin puree, cream, eggs, sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt until combined. Pour into the prepared shell. Bake on centre rack of oven until filling is set when the shell is jiggled slightly. ** The centre will not be firm ** about 35min. Let cool completely before serving.

TIPS:

Serve with whip cream on top.
    DH LOVES this but made in a graham cracker crust.
    I normally double the recipe to make 2 pies.
    oh that sounds really good! i have never made one from scratch(sp), I'm thinking of it now!
    Tiffany
    Mom to Ben, Jonathan and Zachary

Quote Originally Posted by ZooMama View Post
    I've never baked the pumpkin to prepare it - I always chop it up and boil. I wonder what the flavour difference is?
    i find a difference but, maybe it's just me...i love the smell of the pumpkin baking...and the taste of the pie is so yummy! It's so easy, just like baking other squashes..