Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    purplemonkey

Default Anyone taking part-time classes?

I took a class at Fanshawe last year, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I'm thinking of starting another degree at Western, but it'll be slow going as I think I can only handle one course at a time.

Anyone else an adult student?

I have been a part time student at UWO (Brescia) since 2003. I have taken one - two courses at a time. It seems like it is taking forever, as I am in a four year program and at this time I am just finishing my second year . However, it will all be worth it in the end...right?

Is there anything that you wanted to know?
    Mom to 2 boys 5 and 3

purplemonkey

I went to McMaster, and Western's programs seem so complicated by comparison. I guess I'm wondering where I should start - what programs are good, etc. . . last year I went to the Humanities Office for a meeting, but they weren't very informative. I guess I need to to to the Part Time Studies office . . . sigh. It's just so much work! I know, I'm being a whiner.

Expert Forum User

I am about to start my last course at Fanshawe next week. Woo Hoo for me. I only did one course at a time but if I'd been more organized I probably could have done 2 at a time. I am just finishing up my Accounting Certificate.

All the best to you.

I work at Western and the office that I work in offers information sessions for people like you looking to study part time at Western. If you call to book for the information session you can call 519-661-3898. Rosemary Lewis books the appointments and the session will be with Donna Moore Mature and Part Time Student advisor!

Hope that helps you out....BTW- I have been doing my Master's part time for the last three years. I will graduate this June from the University of Calgary. When I started the program I didn't have a kid but I have been able to finish all 12 classes while working full -time, teaching part time and having a kid too! It is possible but it takes a lot of work!!! I wish everyone luck on their studies.

Leslie

Leslie, if you don't mind me asking, what Master's are you doing?

I am finishing my Master's in Education, Educational Leadership.

Oooo. I am a teacher too and desperately want to do a Masters'. I'm going to check them out. Thanks!

Expert Forum User

Me too!! I have been on the fence about doing my Masters for awhile...but really just need to dive right in. It's great to hear from someone else who has done it!
    Jacqueline

Was it all online??

I did it all online. University of Calgary is great with their online courses. They have been doing it a long time! I have nothing but great things to say about it. My co-worker is just starting his MEd online through Memorial University. His tuition is nearly half what I paid and so they might be worth checking out too!

My courses were each around $1000 and if I was lucky the books I could get a Western's library. Work paid for part of my MEd but I know teacher's aren't as lucky!

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions for you.
    Leslie

Expert Forum User

I've been a part time student at Western for years. I am really getting close to completion - only 2 courses left! I am hoping and praying that I can complete those this summer before the baby comes... I'm due at the start of November so it will just cut up my semester.
    Married 2005. DD1 2007. DD2 2011. Beta Sigma Phi 2013.
    ... and one cute little kitty!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieG
    I have nothing but great things to say about it. My co-worker is just starting his MEd online through Memorial University. His tuition is nearly half what I paid and so they might be worth checking out too!

My courses were each around $1000 and if I was lucky the books I could get a Western's library. Work paid for part of my MEd but I know teacher's aren't as lucky!

Good luck and let me know if I can answer any questions for you.
    Leslie
    A friend of mine, a teacher in Brampton, is doing her Masters online through Memorial. She's doing well. However, she's going to NFL this summer to attend some classes.
    Kim
    Mom to four great kids: Hunter, Trent, Emma and Logan

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi
    I am about to start my last course at Fanshawe next week. Woo Hoo for me. I only did one course at a time but if I'd been more organized I probably could have done 2 at a time. I am just finishing up my Accounting Certificate.

All the best to you.

Way to go Jodi! That takes a huge amount of time/years? I hope when its all done you go out and treat yourself to a nice pedicure or something.

Expert Forum User

While we are talking about part-time, have any of you done courses on-line? How did you find it compared to actually being in the classroom?

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Hi,
    I finished up my Master's about 2 years ago but I did do it part-time and it took me about 4.5 years. Although I did have 2 kids in there so that may explain why it took me so long

I did an M.Ed in Adult Education at OISE/UofT.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast