Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Breastfeeding in Nicu

My child was born at 35 weeks, He has been placed in progressive care now and is healthy other then the feeding tube, I am trying to "teach him to breast feed" but I am willing to have him on a bottle when I am not available, He is feeding every 3 hrs. but I am only allowed to come in to feed him at 2:00 pm as there is a shift change in the morning for the 9:00 amd 11:00 feeds and 5:00. At 8:00 he has to have a bath everyother day and is too tired to feed after.

The nurses will only try him on a bottle about once a day but most of the time opt for the tube feeding for verious reasons, So I was wondering if anyother mothers have faced this as when I take the time will him he can take his whole feed oraly but at once or twice a day I don't see how he will ever be able to come home as they requre that he feed oraly but never seem to take the time with him to feed, They have suggested mother baby care unit and I am willing to go but they are full at the moment and may not have any opening for another week.

Any suggestions would be helpful as all I want is for him to be able to come home.

Expert Forum User

Congrats on your baby boy! My twins were born at 34 weeks spent two weeks in NICU and one week in care by parent. Definitely let the nurses know you want care by parent and jump at it when the opening comes, this will allow you more time with your baby but still have access to nurses if needed.

Are you pumping? I used a hospital grade pump (rented from the pharmacy at St.Joes) and then brought the breastmilk in to feed them. Can you talk to the nurses about changing the feeding time so that you can come in more often. This can be done by feeding him 15 minutes later each time until the “hour“ is changed. I found that you have to communicate as much as possible what you hope to acheive with the nurses.

Expert Forum User

I thought shift change was around 7 and 7? My memory may be failing me. They do rounds as well, but you can stay with him in the nursing room during rounds and shift change if he is in the NPCU.
    There really shouldn't be any time you can't be with him in the NPCU due to the nursing (pumping) room.

If the bath is at 8 pm then come in before, he can sleep in the tub if he needs to, dd did lol!
    There is always a way, talk to the nurses or the lactation nurses to try to work something out.
    It will be exhausting for you, but hopefully it will be short term pain for long term gain!!!!!!!!!!

I am pumping milk but it is mostly given though the tube, I am going to address this tomorrow with then, I have told them I want mother baby care but as there are no spots I have no idea when one may be available, I think a day or two of more then two feeds and he should be able to come home as he can take oral feeds when offered the problem is they are not offered except when I am there and then they want to tube feed as I am “taking too long“

The shift change is 9:30-11:30 and I was tols I cannot be there but I am going to ask again. I cannot go in before the 8:00 bath as the second shilf change is 7:15-7:45 and she will not let me feed him first.

Expert Forum User

Good luck tomorrow. I know nurses work really hard and it can so stressful dealing with all the demands but we also had a really hard time trying to “schedule“ feedings. I know that I tried to be there for at least two feedings a day (which was a total of 4 feedings). I would call before I came so that the nurses did not feed them. They had the twins feeding one hour apart which was insane for me because it meant that during the night I would feed 8 and 9, 11 and 12, 2 and 3, 6 and 7. So I started feeding the one twin 15 minutes later each feed until I had the feeding 15 minutes apart from each other every 3 hours.

I found the lactation consultants really helpful and they also helped talk to the nurses. Is your family able to help with the feedings, when I couldn't be there DH or my mom or MIL would go so that someone would make sure that they were being fed orally without the tube when possible.

Expert Forum User

congratulations!!

my son was born at 29 weeks, so it took awhile before he moved up to the progressive care unit. i seem to recall that once we started really working at the breastfeeding, i was allowed to come in the mornings even though they had their rounds.

i want you to know that this it COMPLETELY possible for you to breastfeed your LO. definitely get the lactation consultants in to help you out...they were a godsend for me. i still go back to their advice 4 years later

have they suggested going to Care by Parent at all?? i moved in there wiht DS for about a week when he started to take more of the feeds orally.

learning to feed orally was a really exhausting few weeks...i have to be honest about that. i just felt like we were so close to taking him home but we literally had to sit back and wait for him to be ready and when i first started breastfeeding him and doing the weigh-in before and after the feed, he was literally taking 3 or 5 mls from me ...that's it!!! the rest was topped up with the feeding tube.

the most he ever took from breastfeeding directly while in hospital was about 2/3 of a full feed. and then we started topping up with a bottle. a few nurses were adamant that we shouldn't use the bottle, but once he was getting a bit stronger, we did top up with bottles because i just wanted to get the heck out of there, lol.

once he got home, the feedings were a bit time-consuming. i would feed him, top him up with a bottle, then pump for 10 minutes or so. it took a few weeks and a lot of determination but by about week 7 of being home, he was exclusively breastfeeding.

one thing i want to add......just when it seems that your LO isnt' making any progress toward feeding orally completely, they literally turn a corner and suddenly gain a momentum..the nurses told me that would happen and i didn't believe them, but it did. he was still taking no more than 10ml orally and then suddenly one night he finally took a complete feed and then we were home with him 48 hours later.

my DD was 37 weeks and didn't stay in hospital, but i still had similar feeding issues with her (too small, not strong enough). same thing happened iwth her.

*** if you're having any difficulty with the latch, they might suggest a nipple shield. i used that for both of my kids initially and it worked great.

best of luck to you.....feel free to private message any time if you have questions or need to vent

congratulations!!
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

One of the most important things will be breastfeeding!
    you should be there for as many/all feedings as humanly possible to promote a healthy breast feeding relationship!
    Can you give the breastfeeding helpline a call tomorrow? The girls there will have some good advice to help your breastfeeding!

YOu can call the breastfeeding helpline:
    (519) 207-0420
    Vesta Centre
    519-631-6461

I was in PCCU with my oldest and I truly feel that the tube feeding and supplementing diminished our breastfeeding relationship.

What reasons is your LO in the NICU?

I know st. joes is different then PCCU @ vic - at vic we were with A 24/7 -

I really recommmend on demand feedings, or breastfeeding at each possible feeding opportunity!
    Last edited by punchanella; 10-07-2009 at 04:33 PM. Reason: corrected teh phone #

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Depending on the health of your LO, demand feedings etc... is not always possible with a premie. I was not able to breastfeed and do not think that has diminished relationship. My DD was born at 28 weeks and we did all the rounds... spent a lot of time in the NICU, PCU and three weeks in care by parent.... At the time, I was having a really hard time with some of the nurses as they said she had to do all feeds orally but then were tube feeding her alot.... so we were making progress but slowly... than I had a nurse who wanted to also 'push' her out (what I thought I wanted) and we tried all feeds orally.... and she stopped eating. We tired her out and it was like taking a million steps backwards. We had to start all over again..... perhaps they are worried about not giving your LO too much work at once? Not sure if there are any underlying health issues, but I know their goal is to get your home safe and to try to avoid any sort of 'returns' as I call them....
    From what I remember, the lactation consultants are really good there and I would suggest that you certainly bring your concerns to them. Going through this is hard.... you just need to stay strong and remember that you are your baby's best advocate but sometimes the nurses do really know what is best. We all just need to find that balance.
    Good luck to you and your LO. Hopefully you both will be home soon.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

Congrats on your new little one. And yes, it IS possible to BF, my DS is proof of that (he was born at 33 weeks). Yes, it is time consuming and exhausting, but keep at it if you are determined. I agree with PPs as far as sticking with pumping to keep up your supply (we actually ended up buying a small deep freeze, lol). And I always thought that if you were in there to BF that you could be in there whenever (as long as you weren't shy )? (I can't remember ever being told to leave.) I often had to BF then top up with bottle or tube, but they do eventually get there. I found the nurses at St. Joe's to be great, maybe you'll have to ask them to just have a bit more patience while you're BFing.

It will get easier to manage when you're in CBP and you'll have more control over your LOs care. (But the rooms are small so you'll be itching to get out asap.) DS would actually want to feed again before his 3 hours were up, so I would start him early and just not rush him. (When we did get home, he was BFing every 2 hours which was tiring but I felt good about it.) He rarely ever took a full feed BFing, but we worked on it and he slowly gained weight.

Patience would be the best advice I could give. Patience for you, your LO, and the nurses. Its two steps forward one step back sometimes. Hopefully you'll be home with your LO soon. Good luck!

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by whyme View Post
    The shift change is 9:30-11:30 and I was tols I cannot be there but I am going to ask again. I cannot go in before the 8:00 bath as the second shilf change is 7:15-7:45 and she will not let me feed him first.
    i haven't had this challenge personally, but i just can't get past the fact that the nurse puts bath time above feeding. this is insane to me. why does he need a bath everyday or everyother day even?? why is it up to her when you feed him? that would make me crazy, seriously, your desire to be with your babe should matter, and your presence i would think should be top priority! what am i missing about the bath issue? input anyone?
    babes who have lots of skin to skin contact grow faster, suck better and have better blood sugar levels, this is SO much more important than being immersed in water. arrgh.
    Last edited by hinagal; 10-07-2009 at 01:22 PM.
    ~"Just because I have strong opinions, does not mean I judge. Do not mistake passion for judgment. For you might find you are the one doing the judging". ~ Unknown

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by hinagal View Post
    i just can't get past the fact that the nurse puts bath time above feeding. this is insane to me. why does he need a bath everyday?? why is it up to her when you feed him? that would make me crazy, seriously, your desire to be with your babe should matter, and your presence i would think should be top priority! what am i missing about the bath issue? input anyone?
    I was actually wondering this too . I don't see a need for a bath everyday. We were told specifically NOT to bathe DS everyday as it would tire him out.

In light of the fact that preemies are at a much higher risk for necrotizing entrecolitis (among other things) breastfeeding should be prioritized above all else. I know you don't want to alienate the nurses; and many moms in this situation assume that hospital policies and procedures would naturally be prioritized and ordered in a way that considers what is best for babies; but frankly this is just not so. If you want some confidence in your requests, email drjacknewman@sympatico .ca and tell him about your situation. Getting advice directly from a pediatrician might give you just the strength you need to push a bit.
    I'm the Lactationista
    www.breastfeedingsupport.ca
    Ask me your breastfeeding questions!!!!!!!!!

Former lawyer turned crunchy-stay-at-home-mom to two blessings "Lucky" 06/02 and "Dolce" 08/06. Verision 3.0 is due this August 2011! I am passionate about breastfeeding and I am a breastfeeding counsellor, with training from the Newman Breastfeeding Clininc & Institute. I do private home visits in the LONDON area.

No advice, I apologize...just wanted to say that I can't believe they don't prioritize BF'ing, especially in the NICU? Seems insane to me, anyway. Good luck, I hope you get the resources and the help you need to continue BF'ing your little man!!

Expert Forum User

I am pumping milk but it is mostly given though the tube, I am going to address this tomorrow with then, I have told them I want mother baby care but as there are no spots I have no idea when one may be available, I think a day or two of more then two feeds and he should be able to come home as he can take oral feeds when offered the problem is they are not offered except when I am there and then they want to tube feed as I am “taking too long“
    i remember a few of us feeling frustrated because we felt like we were getting 'cut off' when the feeds took a long time. i wanted so badly for him to just take the feed orally, i didn't care how long, lol. But TRULY....and i've learned this after having baby #2 who lost weight and was failure to thrive in the first weeks....these wee ones just don't have the same reserves as the full term babies. part of the reason they want the feeding/pumping process to be done within an hour is for mom's sanity so the feeds don't run into each other continuously. But the other part is that these LO's will lose weight instead of gaining if they spend too much time on the feeding.

do you mean that they don't want you to feed baby before the bath? i recall that being the case with DS as well. it can be overstimulating for them to do too much ...even once DS came home, i didn't bathe him on a full stomach.

they really focus on the energy conservation as well....so feeding baby and the bathing right after: they can't regulate temperature as well, so if their bodies are working at digesting food, they are more likely to become chilled when bathing.

Quote Originally Posted by breastfeedingsupport View Post
    In light of the fact that preemies are at a much higher risk for necrotizing entrecolitis (among other things) breastfeeding should be prioritized above all else. I know you don't want to alienate the nurses; and many moms in this situation assume that hospital policies and procedures would naturally be prioritized and ordered in a way that considers what is best for babies; but frankly this is just not so. If you want some confidence in your requests, email drjacknewman@sympatico .ca and tell him about your situation. Getting advice directly from a pediatrician might give you just the strength you need to push a bit.
    MY son had Necrotizing enterocolitis. very scary.....to this day i firmly believe that it was related to feeds. i was pumping and they were giving him my milk. but then came the human milk fortifier---i have no evidence, just mommy hunch but i believe he just couldn't handle it.
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast