Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default How old for playdates without mum?

Okay, odd question maybe. But how old would you think typical for playdates where the child comes over but not necessarily the parents?

Our little one is 2 1/2 and we've had a couple friends get together recently, a couple times we've gone out. I'd be quite happy for them to drop their little ones at our place and play for a couple of hours. I'm used to lots of children, so a second one doesn't phase me, but not sure what people are comfortable with. I'm also probably a not likely to leave her at many other people's places.

I guess it is coming up now as all her 'friends' here we haven't known for that long. The friends we had in London, often getting together was as much for us mum's as for the little ones Since we were friends and the little ones liked to play. It isn't like I don't want to chat with the other mum's, but hey, sometimes the idea of getting a little break is appealing..

So, I'm curious your thoughts or experiences

Expert Forum User

I never started doing that until she was school aged.

I don't know if it was a preference thing, or whether the opportunity never came up.

I would do it even at 2 1/2 BUT ONLY if both him and I were very familiar and comfortable with the adults. I think in that case it's sort of like dropping him off at the baby sitters or Grandma's. schleich-s.de/de/spielfiguren/spielwaren/programm/wild_life/index.html

Expert Forum User

My DS was 3 when he went for his first no mommy playdate. DD was 2.5 but it was across the street.

Thanks for the input.

It is different for me here as it wouldn't have been a big deal either way with a lot of the mum's and toddlers I knew in London, but when you don't know people as well it is harder to know!

I like to say, the time when I can talk to the kids and get a full coherent answer.

Only because I like to be able to ask about what they did and how they felt. When I can get that answer, they are good to go. I can see if it was all good, and I can decipher if there was any bad.

So, for my babies, it was 2,4, and 3. :/

Not probably untill my kids are 6, 5 at the earliest, based on me being sent to a few places which it came out later had not been a good idea. (I was lucky to have come out unharmed but man I shudder to think what could have happened.)

Because of that it wouldn't even be that I don't trust the parents, but that JIC factor you know??

Maybe if you invite the parents over for coffee? and if and when you get to know them better in time it will be a natural progression to let each other have just the kids over.

Expert Forum User

I've sent DS on 'playdates' without me before but they were really close friends with kids the same age so it was more like free babysitting for me

[/url]

I wouldn't mind having dd's friends over to play, but I don't think I would feel comfortable with sending her to someone else's house. She is almost 4.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by jenelen View Post
    I've sent DS on 'playdates' without me before but they were really close friends with kids the same age so it was more like free babysitting for me
    This is us exactly. Not sure when I'll feel comfortable with people we are less familiar with. We've been doing this since DS1 was about 2.5 y/o.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

C started when she was in JK. J has gone across the street a couple of times but only for short periods. ( 20 mins or so) and their dd here. I'd have to know them fairly well to let J at 2.5 go.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

DS1 who is 3.5 years old has gone across the street to our neighbours who have a 5 years old boy and they both play well together and often. They switch off and one day he is at our house and another day DS1 is at our neighbours house. That is the extend of playdates without mum.
    Granola is a Mum to 2 wonderful boys

Quote Originally Posted by jenelen View Post
    What she said.