Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default DS is bored in grade 1

A bit of background, the second week of school at the meet the teacher, the teacher was discussing with me that she had started giving my DS grade 2 work as he was seeming bored with the grade 1 handouts. Even with this, he was finishing early and sitting for another 5 minutes while the other children finished. He is allowed to take out a drawing book. Now it seems as if, during this down time, he is getting silly and chatty with his neighbour. I asked him to help me understand what is going on with him. He said he is bored with all the stuff that is "getting old". (his words). They are just covering the same old stuff. I think it is a lot of the same stuff he mastered in kindergarden.

He comes home and enjoys reciting facts from science, and sings me the songs from music, so I think there are many positives during the day. Also, he loves his teacher. She seems wonderful, I have no complaints about her what-so-ever. However I am not sure the work is stimulating him. The teacher mentioned that they may pull him out a few times during the day to work with the VP who does literacy work with kids and special projects with gifted children. But she also said, they want him to stop being silly in class before they will do that special thing with him. My thought is that may be backwards thinking. I wonder if he IS being silly because he is bored, and stimulating him more would help.

I am at a loss what to do. My "mother bear" instinct is to pull him and homeschool him. Carry on with the "field trips" and learning we already do at home. Seems like there is a lot of sitting, waiting, and time wasting at school. I don't really know if this is the answer. Probably not. What do you think? What strategies should I take? I wonder if I should call a meeting and brain storm with his teacher. At the very least, find out specifics about what is being taught in order to understand where he is coming from.
    Last edited by lilabelle; 10-02-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

you know thats kinda funny, my son did the same thing. if i had known back then what you just said, his life would be totally different. he WAS bored out of his mind. if your willing to HS go for it. otherwise make sure you and the school are on the same page in the ways you want your some 'entertained' when is bored. dykwim. def. call a meeting with everyone and if possible find some support for yourself and your son. good luck.

Expert Forum User

Oh really? What was/is the deal with your boy? How was he showing his boredom? Did it improve as the work got more interesting?

I'd tell them that the silly is because of bored (which they should know). I'd request that they do the gifted stuff with him for say a month and if the behaviour doesnt stop then he gets removed from it. Really whats the difference between that and having him stay bored and silly?
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

he was fidgety, couldn't sit still, he just needed to be always doing someting with his hands... ALL the time. of course the teachers didn't like that. sit still.. be quiet.. you know how it goes. he just had his own unique way of dealing with 'stuff'. he was Dx at age 4 with ADHD. we have always been in constant struggle with his school's (yes he was actually sent to Blessed Sacrement for 2 years) then sent back. we have an IEP and an IPRC in place. Unfortunately as the years went by they became less tolerant of his behaviours and less willing to help him which led to more problems.. we always seem to be in a fight. he finally graduated last June... his old school basically told his HS that he would never succeed and to 'watch out' for him. red flags immediately went up and he was given 3 weeks to prove himself by the HS. well he's now 1 month into HS and LOVIN it. so far no BIG problems and with alot of support and guidance he's doing ok with solving issues on his own. pm if you need any more info etc. good luck hope things improve

Expert Forum User

i agree that it seems a bit backwards the way they propose to do things. (imo), it's asking a lot of a young child to self-regulate and self-discipline if they are feeling understimulated...you want to set them up for success rather than put them in a situation like that and then hold out for them to do the 'right thing' before rewarding them with something they need. it would be much more proactive to read his signals and help him in such a way that the situation is avoided.

hope you can work something out with the school...there must be SOMETHING they can set up with him that he could do during those times.

and this is me being completely opinionated, but i can't help but shake my head at the idea that a bored child would be expected to not be silly. a bored 6 year old...not 16 year old. but i might be way off with that.

i also spent a fair amount of time sitting in the halls doing work when i was in public school because of unacceptable silliness, so i really shouldn't say anything
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by lila's mum View Post
    My “mother bear“ instinct is to pull him and homeschool him. Carry on with the “field trips“ and learning we already do at home. Seems like their is a lot of sitting, waiting, and time wasting at school. I don't really know if this is the answer.
    If it's what you'd like to do, it can be a perfectly good and very favourable answer. It's what I'd do (and what I do do, actually).

Having an education custom-tailored to your child's individual needs, as he would get with homeschooling, can be a really great thing. If it's something that you're willing to do, I think that that would be a wonderful opportunity for your son.

If you feel that he's wasting a lot of time in school, why not find a way to have that time better spent? Childhood's too precious to waste or fritter so much of it needlessly away.
    formerly Kathy

I agree he needs to be challenged. Them requiring him to stop the silliness before giving him the extra projects is definitely backwards. Is drawing something he enjoys doing? If it isn't then maybe reading a book or other quiet activity would be better suited to him.

Have you considered french immersion? Adding a new language would increase the challenge. My DD would have been so bored in a regular gr 1 classroom. She switched to FI in gr 1. She absorbed the french so rapidly. She spent gr 1 basically learning french because she knew the rest of the curriculum. Looking back at her elementary school years, FI was perfect for her.

Ignore above if he is already attending FI.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by just ducky View Post
    I agree he needs to be challenged. Them requiring him to stop the silliness before giving him the extra projects is definitely backwards. Is drawing something he enjoys doing? If it isn't then maybe reading a book or other quiet activity would be better suited to him.

Have you considered french immersion? Adding a new language would increase the challenge. My DD would have been so bored in a regular gr 1 classroom. She switched to FI in gr 1. She absorbed the french so rapidly. She spent gr 1 basically learning french because she knew the rest of the curriculum. Looking back at her elementary school years, FI was perfect for her.

Ignore above if he is already attending FI.

Yes, I have thought of FI. I was actually considering this at the beginning of the year, even before this transpired. Perhaps I should be looking into this more seriously. My origional hesitation was that I cannot help him with his homework. My husband could, but he is not home often, and certainly not during homeowork hours! That could be a huge challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by lila's mum View Post
    Yes, I have thought of FI. I was actually considering this at the beginning of the year, even before this transpired. Perhaps I should be looking into this more seriously. My origional hesitation was that I cannot help him with his homework. My husband could, but he is not home often, and certainly not during homeowork hours! That could be a huge challenge.
    Homework was not hard to deal with. There are translating sites online to help translate anything into english. I aways had my DD translate the instructions then we worked together in english. This was beneficial to her because she was also learning the corresponding english terminology. When she understood her homework she then put it back in french. It was challenging helping study for spelling only because my pronounciation was bad. But even the online dictionaries will say the word now. I do remember a trace of french from high school.

All correspondence between school/teacher and home is in english.

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! PancakeMom's Avatar

I would push for skipping a grade. The schools don't like to do it, they prefer students stay with their age range. I was your son in school. I finished long before everyone else and still remember what the ceilings in my school look like because I spent so much time staring at them. BORED!!! I didn't start getting into trouble until later on tho. I did end up skipping grade 7&8 but it would have saved me so much suffering if they had done it earlier. Being gifted doesn't mean you are smarter than anyone else, it means you learn differently and can move through regular curriculum faster. In my opinion removing him from the classroom to do things with the VP is the wrong move. I too was removed from class to do 'gifted work'. It seemed more about removing me from the classroom setting for the teacher who no longer had to put up with me, then any real benefit for me. The other students will also see this 'special treatment' and he will be teased, and taunted about it. The work I did outside the class was 'enrichment'. It taught me very little and was 'busy' work. Work that just took me longer to do. HTH!

Everything I love is illegal, immoral or fattening.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by PancakeMom View Post
    I too was removed from class to do 'gifted work'. It seemed more about removing me from the classroom setting for the teacher who no longer had to put up with me, then any real benefit for me. The other students will also see this 'special treatment' and he will be teased, and taunted about it. The work I did outside the class was 'enrichment'. It taught me very little and was 'busy' work. Work that just took me longer to do. HTH!
    There was a small group of us in my class who were also removed for an “enrichment class“ for a few years. i forget how often, but it was in the library.

our 'enriched learning' consisted of watching Police Academy more than once. I'm not kidding. I didn't get taunted but the rest of the class certainly made jokes here and there about us.

When I got to highschool and they wanted to do the same thing, my parents refused to even let them test me. I didn't think much about it at the time, but I'm glad they did it.(based on the programming in my school)
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo74 View Post
    our 'enriched learning' consisted of watching Police Academy more than once. I'm not kidding.
    Whaa?? Seriously?? What would be the point of that?
    formerly Kathy

I just always got asked to help someone. I loved doing that though
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

If homeschooling interests you, I'd talk it over with him and if you have a s/o,then include them, too.

You're right. School does involve a lot of wasted time - assemblies, sitting and waiting, doing busy work so the teacher can prepare the next thing you'll do, waiting while everyone else finishes, in and out and dressing/undressing from being out, etc.

If he's already bored by gr.2 work, it will only get worse.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast