Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dear Experienced BW'ing mommys

I want to wear my baby! He is a big boy, about 7 months and ohhhhh 26lbs or so. I like the look of the ring slings, any thoughts on if this is suitable or not? I am a nurse so I can hold a fair bit of weight, as long as its comfortable

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

For your only or main carrier, I would say probably not to ringslings. They are beautiful it's true, and quick on and off. But they only distribute weight over your one shoulder, so for longer carries my back starts to feel like an 's' with a ringsling.

I would suggest a mei tai? My DD is 27 lbs, and I have a Bamberoo. Those you have to get from the States, but I tried a Natural Mother Mei Tai which is made locally, and it felt very similar, the shoulders are nicely padded and I liked the head support for if they fall asleep. I would probably go for one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    I tried a Natural Mother Mei Tai which is made locally, and it felt very similar, the shoulders are nicely padded and I liked the head support for if they fall asleep. I would probably go for one of those.
    Ds is about 20 pounds and I don't like the ring sling. I LOVE the Natural Mother Mei Tai. I have one right now and it is so comfy. My 30 pound dd fits in it no problem. She won't last longer than 2 minutes but they were a comfy 2 minutes.
    mama to 3

I love my mei tai!

Expert Forum User

I agree, a ringsling is too hard on your one shoulder for any length of time. For a quick grocery shop, they're awesome, but I'd go with a mei tei for longer use.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pumpkinery-Creations/220912411314225

I'd go mei tai too. Unless you wanted to learn a wrap (more versitile but harder to learn). I've tried the Natural Mother ones and they were great. I have one that I got from Vesta (A local business just outside London). The one from Vesta is an Ellaroo. No padding like the NM one. There are a few other moms on here who make them (Leigh and Siana).
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

I would definately go mei tai too. They are pretty darn easy to figure out, pretty easy on/off again, and much better weight distrubution like the other mama's have said !

Expert Forum User

Gosh well I know I'm a minority but if I was choosing just 1 carrier and I was new I would (and did) choose the RS. I have numerous pouches, RS, MT, an Ergo (soft structured carrier) and a stretchy and a woven wrap.

A stretchy wrap is out for you since your DS is already too heavy for it.

Rather than explaining it all here, I should link you to a post I made on another forum that has pics and pros/cons.

How to Choose the Best Carrier for YOU - Message Boards | Canadian Parents

I always reach for my RS because I love the ease and simplicity of it. It's the only one I travel with because it's less bulky too. Yeah it has it's down side but if you aren't going for extra long walks (say longer than an hour or two) without breaks then it may be a bit wearing on you. Otherwise, I do love it.

I'm sad to say that I don't reach for my other carriers nearly as often though I DO try to mix it up when I have the time to spend getting them on properly.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I agree about a mei tai.

great ladies now i want both lol

and I guess I should probably clear up, Im not going for long walks, im thinking like walking through the mall or grabbin some groceries

Expert Forum User

I like my ring sling - my ds is 23 lb and 4 yrs old.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I am loving tthe mei tai I have at my house right now. I willl be sad to see it g o and have to wait for mine to be made - lol.

That said I also love the woven wrap just as much - lol yeah I knoe .. no help
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Expert Forum User

mei tais and pods are the most user friendly when you want something that is going to be awesomely comfortable. Wraps are I think the best, but take a bit more practice.

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

Expert Forum User

If by “grabbing some groceries“ you mean a full-length grocery shopping trip (as opposed to just running out for some milk or bread), I'd say that constitutes a long walk. I find that a weekly grocery trip can easily take 1 - 2 hours?

I'd agree on a Mei Tai for the first choice for a carrier for a heavy 7+ month old. Easy to use (about as simple as tying on an apron), and comfortable weight distribution. If you're going to get two carriers, a Mei Tai and a ring sling (open-tailed, no padding is most versatile for a RS) would be good choices, but if picking only one, I'd go with the Mei Tai.
    formerly Kathy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast