Expert Forum User

Default He won't go! *UPDATED*

We've been trying to potty train DS#1 (he'll be 3 at the end of the month) for the past couple of months. We've tried lots of different strategies but it always ends in a battle of wills to get him to sit on the potty, but if we wait and let him tell us when he needs to go he just pees all over the floor, in his underwear, etc. Finally yesterday I started setting the timer on the microwave and would let him know that when it beeped he had to sit on the potty and we would read a story. It's been working really well (although he still hasn't gone, only in his diaper at nap or bedtime or on the floor ) but today he had an accident at 11am and still hadn't peed again when I put him to bed at 8:30pm! Should I be worried? I don't know if he just doesn't know how to make himself pee even when he has to go or what. We haven't been making a big deal out of anything other then to remind him to sit when the timer goes off. What can I do to make it easier for him to go? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    Jodie
    Mom to 3 boys (9, 7 and 4) &
    our little girl (born Dec 2013)
    www.brightmindschildcare.ca
    www.jodie.lovablelabels.ca

Expert Forum User

I'm getting nowhere with training my lo either. I don't want to make it a big deal b/c the more I push the more he gets upset when I ask him to go potty. Sigh...I thought having a big brother would make this easier, but instead it seems he doesn't want to be a big boy...likes being my baby!
    It hasn't been that long since you started your timer routine. I'd say just stick to your routine and wait...persistence and consistence. I don't know of any Kindergarteners still in diapers!
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Okay lets try again it didn't post the first time

Anyway I don't really have any advice. Training dd was pretty easy. It took about a week 2 tops. So I don't know what you are going through.

But I did want to say that my dd at almost 5 only pees about 2-3 times a day. She'll go when she gets up anywhere from right way to 3 hours later Then somedays not again till bed time We will have her try before we are going out. I have spoken with her doc and another one and was given conflicting info. One said what she goes is fine and another said make her go every 2-3 hours. When we tried that she just couldn't go. So we stopped stressing over it and just let her go when she needs to. Good luck with it. I suppose you could try some sort of reward system for when he does go on the potty or toilet. Maybe just changing tactics could work. big toilet / with seat or standing instead of the potty. have him aim at cheerios while he's trying to go. Good luck and just be consistant.
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

girlsmum

Not to worry...........my older daughter was so comfy in her dirty diapers, etc. that she had no DESIRE to go potty, she was lazy there, so it took 3 1/2 years to get her to go potty But once she did make up her mind it was day and night dryness, no accidents but one! The rest is history. This I did among advice from my family to spank if she went in her diaper, like that would have helped . They just leave the diapers behind when they're ready, you can only guide them!! My girls now will likely take 3 years, they're smart cookies but if their potty training goes like their solids intro..........OY!

Expert Forum User

DH is away this week so I have too much time on my hands at night and decided to leaf through my old parenting magazines. I found this article on potty training and one paragraph jumped out at me:

"Make these [potty] breaks as routine as brushing teeth, something not open to debate. Planning them for the same time each day helps to avoid power struggles. They become part of daily hygiene, not 'because I said so' issues." Scheduled trips to the bathroom-for instance, upon waking, before meals, and before bedtime-and positive reinforcement can turn things around in a matter of weeks."

I'm starting that tomorrow morning...talk to you in a couple weeks!
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

Expert Forum User

Thanks for all of your replies ladies. Since yesterday we have had some success and lots of accidents but I'm happy that he's at least not holding it anymore. The timer is still working, there has only been one fight to get him to sit on the potty in 3 days, much better than before. I'll update in a couple of weeks and let you know how we're doing.
    Jodie

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

Glad things seem to be looking up Good Luck!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Expert Forum User

Good Luck!!!!
    I am also about to start this potty training journey with a boy. With DD it was a piece of cake...DS won't go near the potty. I will try your timer idea and see where it takes us.
    Tonight I put on "big boy underwear" in hopes that he would like the feel better than diapers and want to stay in them- 2 accidents, but he found out what wet underwear feel like, and maybe put 2 and 2 together and will want to at least sit on the potty now.
    Looking forward to your update.

Candice

HI Jodie - what worked for us with Teja was really, just staying around home for a few days.. and getting her to drink LOTS of water.. so she had to go really often! It gave us lots of chances to get it right, and praise the heck out of her.

We're starting with Emma soon too!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

The only thing I can say is never, ever "ask" if they have to go. TELL them it's time to go sit on the potty. Tell them they have to try to go, but if it doesn't "work", that's ok. You make the mistake of asking, and they'll say "No!".

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by amyunicorn
    You make the mistake of asking, and they'll say "No!".
    That's true for everything, not just potty!

Expert Forum User

It's working!!!!!!!! He's been dry for 3 days now with only one accident (I was in the tub and he had trouble pulling down his underwear :? ) For about a week I've been putting him on the potty at certain times of the day (after meals, when he wakes up & before leaving the house) and until this past Monday he didn't go once :x Monday & Tuesday he peed on the potty once, and all of a sudden since Wednesday he's been totally dry all day! Last night he even decided he wanted to pee standing up I guess he was finally ready. Yay!!!! The can finally see an end to the longest month ever!!!! Thanks for all of your support and suggestions ladies!
    Jodie