Expert Forum User

Default Car Seat Installation

Hey Everyone,

Before I begin, I've never installed a car seat before. I'm 37 weeks pregnant with my first child and feeling unprepared at the moment.

I decided to install the car seat in my Jeep today. I have a Graco SafeSeat that is going to be installed in the center of the rear bench by the middle lap belt. When I "set" the car seat in place it was automatically level much to my suprise.

So I go about pulling the belt as tight as I can. I kept unsnapping it and pulling it a bit more and more until the car seat wasn't moving anywhere. It seems with my insane amount of pulling the car seat is now not perfectly level (a tiny smidgen of the orange is showing on the level) and actually seems kind of unsafe. It almost seems like it could flip back on itself - I just came into the house to grab some of our crappy towels to level it out. Is it possible I have the lap belt too tight? I wish I would have checked out when the car seat clinics were before hand as it doesn't appear there is another one until August 11th.

http://www.healthunit.com/article.aspx?ID=12568

Any suggestions?

Expert Forum User

You can call your local fire department to have them check it out. I would suggest calling tomorrow to set something up for the first part of the week. Better safe than have you worry.

There is also a chrysler dealership on oxford that does free inspections. The rule is that if you can't move it side to side more than an inch than it is safe (tight enough).
    I would put a towel under it to help with the leveling, that is what we had to do with ours.
    Barbi, mommy to
    Jack and Seth

Expert Forum User

I used a towel as well and it is very frustrating trying to tighten it enough and then it suddenly angling wrong - I feel for you! We went to the fire station near Commissioners and Wonderland and I believe they do them quite frequently (on weekends) but you have to call ahead. Not sure of the number though
    Mum to Alyssa (born April 30, 2005)

Expert Forum User

Thanks so much for your replies. I ended up remembering that the base also had a height adjustment that once I moved up the seat leveled quite nicely. I am going to give the firestation a call at the beginning part of the week to see if they can have a quick look at it but my second attempt was much better then my first. The seat barely can move side to side now and seems very stable on the seat.

Thank you so much for all your replies

I've seen online video's or demonstrations of how a child carseat should be installed. I'll see if I can find the link.
    To level DS's carseat(when he was RFacing) we used a pool noodle. It was the perfect height to level it.
    Mom to 4 kiddies
    DD(9 yrs) & DS#1(6 yrs) & DS#2(4 yrs)
    & DD#2(1 yr)

Expert Forum User

If you happened to buy it at the Children's Furnature Gallery (on Adelaide) they will also check it for you. One of their staff members is certified and they were VERY helpful with ours!

ETA I just remembered that the fire station would NOT look at your car seat until you already had your baby. At least that was how it was when I was preggo with DD. Things may have changed since then! Good luck!

Any of you second-timers NOT had your carseat inspected? My husband thinks he knows how it should be since we had it before, but that was in a car, this time we have a van. And I see there are no car seat clinics until past my due date...