Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

My son is in grade 1 this year and attends a school which offer FI and he is doing just fine. I took french in High school up to the OAC level but I sure don't remember as much as I'd like to!My DH did not have to take french at all in high school (might have something to do with him being a few years older than me and in a different system). I say go for it! You always have the option of pulling your LO out of the FI system if he/she is not doing as well as one would have hoped and placing that child into English only school but it's somewhat more difficult to do things the other way around (due to there only be certain grade entry points). Good luck with your decision!

Expert Forum User

within walking distance of downtown but a good part

I went to FI here in London neither of my parents spoke french but i am fluent

I sell AVON I sell SCENTSY JOIN THE PARTY!

Expert Forum User

Thanks ladies!! something def. to talk about and consider..
    I think DD would like it.. but not sure about DS yet.. he doesn't talk much usually relies on his sister.. we're waiting until she's in school and see how he does then!!

Expert Forum User

MY DD is in french and the teachers always say that french speaking parents are not required for success.

My kids go to La Ribambelle daycare right now and will go to FI when ready.

They are doing great at La Ribambelle.
    Catherine
    Mama of 2 wonderful Children,
    July 2006 & January 2008

Expert Forum User

I am very NOT-french... grew up in KItchener, took my grade 9 french credit and scored a 51% to graduate highschool... then moved to the VERY french city of Sudbury. Everyone I met there was french... including my french boyfriend at the time... and guess what... by the end of that academic year I had converted them all to English, lol.

I still lived up in Sudbury when my daughter started school. Against the wishes of my then husband, I sent her to French Immersion school. I figured she is a very strong student and the more she learns the better. When I left the husband, I returned to my hometown of Kitchener with the kids and had intended for her to continue her french immersion education. The Waterloo Public School Board does not offer french immersion until grade one and not all school offer this program. You must apply for admission during senior kindergarten. Students who live within the boundaries of the french immersion schools and younger siblings of those already in the program get first priorty placement in the grade one classroom. Any remaining vacancies are offered on a first-come basis based on the time-stamp on the application form. My daughter (out-of district) was offered a spot. At this point I gave her the ultimate choice if she wanted to switch schools. I did not want to pressure her in any way because she had gone thru so much (separted from her father, special needs brother, and just made friends at her home school). Anyways... to my surprise... she made me very proud and decided to switch schools. She is currently in grade 6 french immersion. I will admit, it is tough sometimes because I do not speak french but we manage. Sometimes she will bring home an English textbook or she will translate the question for me... but I do strongly believe that it is so worth it!!!1

Expert Forum User

My girls both attend FI and its fabulous. I was worried about dd #2, but 2 weeks in she has already learned so much. I think its fabulous.

I don't speak french at all and I have 3 in french immersion (grades, 3,5,7) and we don't have problems.
    Looking for a doula? Contact --
    www.babeezeinarms.com

does anyone happen to know if there's a french school in st. thomas or somewhere slightly outside of south london? we currently live in south london, but i want to move. the traffic freaks me out. my husband speaks fluent french, so i dont think it needs to be an immersion school for our LO.

Expert Forum User

There is a french immersion school in St. Thomas..not sure of French first language though. I can't remember the name right now..maybe check the Thames Valley Website.

There is French Immersion in St. Thomas. If you want to send your kids to French First Language, they would be bussed to London.
    mama to 3

The F.I. school in St. Thomas is Pierre Elliott Trudeau. Currently, grades SK-3 are at Wellington St. but it is slated to close as soon as the renos are done at Trudeau (Jan 2010).

Expert Forum User

There were a ton of kids at my high school that were FFL, they went to Ecole Alexandre, or Frere Andre, but it was weird because it was a different French they learned, it was the french from France, not Quebec. Believe me we ALL tried to get them to do our french homework, but it was ALL different! I have no idea what the requirements were for them to do FFL (eta:not all their parents were french), but they got free bus tickets to go to Central.
    Last edited by RetroMama; 10-03-2009 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RetroMama View Post
    There were a ton of kids at my high school that were FFL, they went to Ecole Alexandre, or Frere Andre, but it was weird because it was a different French they learned, it was the french from France, not Quebec. Believe me we ALL tried to get them to do our french homework, but it was ALL different! I have no idea what the requirements were for them to do FFL (eta:not all their parents were french), but they got free bus tickets to go to Central.
    I bet the ffl students were just pulling your leg! Most of the FFL teachers at Central were from Quebec or Ontario. I think I had one from France but she was the Math teacher.

I went to Ecole Alexandra. Back then it was part of the English school board. In my class, only a few of us had French speaking parents. That school is now part of a different board.
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by MomtoS&E View Post
    I bet the ffl students were just pulling your leg! Most of the FFL teachers at Central were from Quebec or Ontario. I think I had one from France but she was the Math teacher.

I went to Ecole Alexandra. Back then it was part of the English school board. In my class, only a few of us had French speaking parents. That school is now part of a different board.
    Those bastards!! I guess almost 20 years is too long to tell them off though eh?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12