Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default French Immersion with non- french speaking parents??

I was at the sale and my french teacher was there and I was thinking how much I loved french and how I thought it would be awesome if my kids went to a french immersion school.. But neither Dp and I speak it. I remember a few things but not a lot..
    Would it even really be realistic to send them to one or no??
    would they even be able to go?

Expert Forum User

It really depends on your child moreso than whether or not you are fluent. I had friends where one child excelled at the french immersion school and the other child struggled so they switched her back to a regular english speaking school. My friends didn't speak french fluently.

Expert Forum User

I went to a french first language school growing up. I had many friends who's parents didn't speak a lick of french. It happens all the time, and I think it's a great thing to do for your children.
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

I am putting DD in FI, and I don't speak any french. I think it will be good for her.

Feet, why do I need them if I have wings to fly?
    –Frieda Kahlo (1907-1954)

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

my dd is in fi ans my french leaves A LOT to be desired I am hoping to take a class to sort of keep up with her... but am not worried. From what I understand fi is designed for the non french speaking as well as those more fluent. The school deals with the french we may have to help with the english at home. I say do it We love it
    Help my Kaitlyn reach her goal of selling 100 boxes of Chocolate Mint Girl Guide cookies. $5 each and we dliver. PM me

http://dawnfitzgerald.myepicure.com/
    But message me directly to order or book and I can get you a special LM deal

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn'sMommy View Post
    my dd is in fi ans my french leaves A LOT to be desired I am hoping to take a class to sort of keep up with her... but am not worried. From what I understand fi is designed for the non french speaking as well as those more fluent. The school deals with the french we may have to help with the english at home. I say do it We love it
    Exactly! Both my dd's attend FI and it is designed for families that do not speak frendh at home. That being said, my oldest is in grade 4 and sometimes the homework comes home completely in french so if your child does not understand the assignment hopefully they'll speak up in class. I'm hoping she'll be able to help my youngest dd as well.

Both my girls are in FI and my french is lacking, yes I did grow up in Ottawa and loved french. The schools help you very much if you do not speak french. I have found it to be a great experience for both my girls.
    Loving mom to DD '99 and DD '01
    Proud foster mom to #4 and counting

My eldest has been in FI since JK ( sarnia does that, and no bus..) and is now in grade 8. He will most likely be attending the FI high school as well. I speak very little french and it has never been an issue, except once when he was asking for help with his math which is taught in french and I could not understand what he was talking about, however once he started talking about what he was doing I realized it was about fractions and multiplication and lowest common denominator and we were all good!!! The schools send all communication in English and the teachers are bilingual so you can always get the information you need. ( PS I will hire out my child to translate stuff LOL)

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by BabyLove View Post
    It really depends on your child moreso than whether or not you are fluent. I had friends where one child excelled at the french immersion school and the other child struggled so they switched her back to a regular english speaking school. My friends didn't speak french fluently.
    I agree. I think it depends on the child. I am french, and initially thought my children would go to a french immersion school. We discovered very early on that DS has a language disorder, and feel at this point throwing another language in the mix would be too difficult for him to handle. We're still working on English!
    DD could possibly handle it well, but we feel it's important that our children attend the same school.

Expert Forum User

remember that there is a BIG difference with French Immersion and French First Language and the amount of French that the parents must know prior

French Immersion is for non-French speaking families. I have been teaching in FI for 8 years and have only ever taught one child that had a French-speaking parent. FI is part of the ENglish school board.

French First Language is “supposed“ to be for children with a French-speaking parent/grandparent. THey do however let quite a few kids attend that they technically shouldn't. The FFL schools send home ALL communication in French, including the report cards.
    mama to 3

Expert Forum User

Havent read all the posts yet - but we are non-speaking and L is going in his first year - so far he seems to really like it (after he calms down from being dropped off...) He comes home and says new words that he learned to his little bro! :P
    “A mother's love is patient and forgiving when all others are forsaking,
    it never fails or falters, even though the heart is breaking”- Helen Rice

2 of my DD's entered FI schools in grade 7..loved it and are now in FI programs in highschool. My younger DD started in grade 1..now in grade 4 , I find it sometimes more difficult to help with homework..however now I ask the older ones to help the younger one...sometimes I resort to the french/english dictionary. or the web for a google translation. I think its a great opportunity for those who can learn the two languages

Expert Forum User

If we don't do private, I really want to put DS into FI- It's geared towards non-french parents... I can understand most when it is spoken, but myself speaking is broken and slower... And DH doesn't remember anything from school.

I think the gift of a 2nd language opens up so many doors... I really want him to be able to speak 3 though, with mandarin being the 3rd.

I'm kinda sad that Canada is so focused on French and a lot of times doesn't offer different languages.

My sister and I went to Kensal Park french immersion from K-8, and then continued on in high school (me at Banting, my sis at Laurier). My parents didn't speak french, and it was fine. They learned along with us until we didn't need them anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast