Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

Default Good online resources for (English) students?

I'm supposed to be writing an essay on a short story, but my tutor and I are reading it completely differently. I realize that stories can be read in different ways and mean different things to different people, but this is a fundamental difference that colours the entire reading of the story.

I was hoping I could find some notes / discussions online where I could see if I'm completely nuts, or if other people are reading it the same way too. I've tried googling but all I got were sites for buying pre-written essays. Does anyone have any suggestions? TIA!

That sound challenging, but fun

Wish you could share the story with us. I'd read it, given it's only a short story :P (where's the time for reading novels?... oh, wait... guess I spend too much time on here!)

Sorry I'm no help otherwise!
    Mama to two
    Etsy store: Merry Medley

If anyone is interested, you can read it online:

http://digital.library.upenn.edu/wom...iss/story.html

But it is kind of long for a short story... plus I hate reading things online. :P So that's why I didn't post it in the first place. But if anyone has read / would like to read the story I wouldn't mind suggestions!
    Basically my issue is that the notes I'm supposed to read say that the main character isn't really in a state of bliss and is just trying to convince herself that she is. Personally, I think that she really is happy, but in a naive and child-like way (which is how her character is described) and that she is happy in her own little world and just hasn't explored the depths of her emotions yet - until the end of course. I mean, I can see both sides, but I think I'm right. :P

I don't think there should be only one correct interpretation of a story (or poem etc.). I can understand being totally off, but if you can support your theory/interpreation well enough, then it should be an acceptable, and therefore "correct" interpretation, no?
    Mama to two

Quote Originally Posted by Siana
    I don't think there should be only one correct interpretation of a story (or poem etc.). I can understand being totally off, but if you can support your theory/interpreation well enough, then it should be an acceptable, and therefore "correct" interpretation, no?
    Yeah, that's what I thought too, but I think I just needed someone to say it! Thanks!

Glad I could help in some way (:
    Mama to two