Expert Forum User

Default Where to find dairy and nut free cupcakes?

DD1's birthday is coming up. The teacher has said parents are welcome to send a "dairy-free, nut-free, store purchased cupcakes with all ingredients listed on the label."

I get allergies, I do, but I am saddened that parents can apparently no longer be trusted to make something nut and dairy free and instead must buy some preservative-filled crap from the store. Grrr.

Do you have any ideas where I can find these labelled cupcakes?

Thanks so much for any help!

Expert Forum User

Umm from a store? Yeah not thinking that's going to happen. Yikes. I understand about allergies, but she is better off just saying no outside food entirely. My ds' birthday is tomorrow and his teacher gives him a cupcake. I am making Duncan Hines for the rest of his class...lol...

I would start calling some of the bakeries in the area.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children

Expert Forum User

Unless you are purchasing from a store that ONLY produces dairy-free and nut-free products, you are playing russian roulette with the allergic child. Just bring in stickers instead.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by Liisa View Post
    Unless you are purchasing from a store that ONLY produces dairy-free and nut-free products, you are playing russian roulette with the allergic child. Just bring in stickers instead.
    I certainly don't want to play russian routlette with the health of anyone's child. I don't know of any stores in Lodnon that only produce dairy-free and nut-free products. Handing out stickers to celebrate her birthday just seems a bit...I don't know...non-festive?

Expert Forum User

Give this place a call maybe. They are located just down the road from Victoria Hospital (South Street).

Jubilee Kafe Online

There stuff is quite pricey but they may carry what you are looking for or know where to find it.

Well I know that a lot of places, like schools, have gone to no non store bought food to share due to the fear of cross contamination where it is baked or cooked. It is a sign of the times I suppose.

Expert Forum User

I've been thinking about this. Liisa, I think stickers are non-festive only because I've had many years of birthday=cake conditioning. My DD has not, and as a parent I would prefer my kid get stickers than cupcakes.

I'm going to stop my search for the cupcakes and find some little items for her to hand out instead.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by girlsrule View Post

I'm going to stop my search for the cupcakes and find some little items for her to hand out instead.
    That sounds like a great idea.
    Jan, mommy to Gabriel (3/12/02), Theo (1/5/04) & Jack (8/11/05)

Quote Originally Posted by girlsrule View Post
    I've been thinking about this. Liisa, I think stickers are non-festive only because I've had many years of birthday=cake conditioning. My DD has not, and as a parent I would prefer my kid get stickers than cupcakes.

Thanks!

Smart choice me thinks! I wondered last year when DS was in JK and had his birthday if I should “do“ anything. Asked another mom in the class and she said no parent has sent anything in in her experience. I was relieved! I really didn't like the idea of EVERY kid who has a school year birthday to bring in a “treat“ for the entire class every time. Though, I didn't want DS to be the only kid who didn't - ha!
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by shawnthegirl View Post
    Smart choice me thinks! I wondered last year when DS was in JK and had his birthday if I should “do“ anything. Asked another mom in the class and she said no parent has sent anything in in her experience. I was relieved! I really didn't like the idea of EVERY kid who has a school year birthday to bring in a “treat“ for the entire class every time. Though, I didn't want DS to be the only kid who didn't - ha!
    I wasn't going to send anything, but then when the teacher spoke to everyone about the acceptable store-bought treats I got the idea it was expected. I know my daughter and she'd be CRUSHED if the other kids' b-days were celebrated and hers was the only one that wasn't.