Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Expert Forum User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,141
    Rep Power
    155

    Default Where to find dairy and nut free cupcakes?

    DD1's birthday is coming up. The teacher has said parents are welcome to send a "dairy-free, nut-free, store purchased cupcakes with all ingredients listed on the label."

    I get allergies, I do, but I am saddened that parents can apparently no longer be trusted to make something nut and dairy free and instead must buy some preservative-filled crap from the store. Grrr.

    Do you have any ideas where I can find these labelled cupcakes?

    Thanks so much for any help!

  2. #2
    Expert Forum User

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    9,118
    Rep Power
    524

    Default

    Umm from a store? Yeah not thinking that's going to happen. Yikes. I understand about allergies, but she is better off just saying no outside food entirely. My ds' birthday is tomorrow and his teacher gives him a cupcake. I am making Duncan Hines for the rest of his class...lol...

    I would start calling some of the bakeries in the area.
    Proud mom of 3 wonderful children


  3. #3
    Expert Forum User
    Liisa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    5,866
    Rep Power
    304

    Default

    Unless you are purchasing from a store that ONLY produces dairy-free and nut-free products, you are playing russian roulette with the allergic child. Just bring in stickers instead.
    Please always show kindness in your posts as the person receiving it may need it more than you will ever know.

    SAHM to two boys, 13 and 7.

  4. #4
    Expert Forum User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,141
    Rep Power
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Liisa View Post
    Unless you are purchasing from a store that ONLY produces dairy-free and nut-free products, you are playing russian roulette with the allergic child. Just bring in stickers instead.
    I certainly don't want to play russian routlette with the health of anyone's child. I don't know of any stores in Lodnon that only produce dairy-free and nut-free products. Handing out stickers to celebrate her birthday just seems a bit...I don't know...non-festive?

  5. #5
    Expert Forum User

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    London
    Posts
    8,294
    Rep Power
    451

    Default

    Give this place a call maybe. They are located just down the road from Victoria Hospital (South Street).

    Jubilee Kafe Online

    There stuff is quite pricey but they may carry what you are looking for or know where to find it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,815
    Rep Power
    95

    Default

    Well I know that a lot of places, like schools, have gone to no non store bought food to share due to the fear of cross contamination where it is baked or cooked. It is a sign of the times I suppose.

  7. #7
    Expert Forum User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,141
    Rep Power
    155

    Default

    I've been thinking about this. Liisa, I think stickers are non-festive only because I've had many years of birthday=cake conditioning. My DD has not, and as a parent I would prefer my kid get stickers than cupcakes.

    I'm going to stop my search for the cupcakes and find some little items for her to hand out instead.

    Thanks!

  8. #8
    Junior Member My3boys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Byron, London
    Posts
    718
    Rep Power
    57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsrule View Post

    I'm going to stop my search for the cupcakes and find some little items for her to hand out instead.
    That sounds like a great idea.
    Jan, mommy to Gabriel (3/12/02), Theo (1/5/04) & Jack (8/11/05)

  9. #9
    Senior Member shawnthegirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    St. Thomas
    Posts
    2,056
    Rep Power
    104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by girlsrule View Post
    I've been thinking about this. Liisa, I think stickers are non-festive only because I've had many years of birthday=cake conditioning. My DD has not, and as a parent I would prefer my kid get stickers than cupcakes.

    I'm going to stop my search for the cupcakes and find some little items for her to hand out instead.

    Thanks!

    Smart choice me thinks! I wondered last year when DS was in JK and had his birthday if I should “do“ anything. Asked another mom in the class and she said no parent has sent anything in in her experience. I was relieved! I really didn't like the idea of EVERY kid who has a school year birthday to bring in a “treat“ for the entire class every time. Though, I didn't want DS to be the only kid who didn't - ha!
    Shawn
    Vesta Chick & Mompreneur Extrodinaire
    www.vestaparenting.ca
    Join the Vesta Parenting or Vesta Shop facebook page, it's mighty good



  10. #10
    Expert Forum User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,141
    Rep Power
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shawnthegirl View Post
    Smart choice me thinks! I wondered last year when DS was in JK and had his birthday if I should “do“ anything. Asked another mom in the class and she said no parent has sent anything in in her experience. I was relieved! I really didn't like the idea of EVERY kid who has a school year birthday to bring in a “treat“ for the entire class every time. Though, I didn't want DS to be the only kid who didn't - ha!
    I wasn't going to send anything, but then when the teacher spoke to everyone about the acceptable store-bought treats I got the idea it was expected. I know my daughter and she'd be CRUSHED if the other kids' b-days were celebrated and hers was the only one that wasn't.

Similar Threads

  1. gluten free/dairy free/soy free/vegan recipes
    By lumpmamma in forum Cooking
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 04:34 PM
  2. talk to me about where to find food WITHOUT dairy
    By pumpkinsmom in forum General Support/Advice about the Kids!
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 11-28-2008, 08:06 AM
  3. Anyone else find this Dairy Queen ad disturbing?
    By totallyawake in forum Deep Discussions (debates and hot topics!)
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 05-10-2008, 12:40 PM
  4. Dairy-free but delicious treats?
    By Snickerboo in forum Cooking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2007, 06:59 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •