Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I really need a crib?

So.. do I really need a crib? They are so gigantic for such tiny babies. I'm making the assumption that we'll have this baby in a toddler bed about the same time as ds which was about 16 months..

Do I sound like a horrible mother suggesting that maybe the baby just sleep in a playpen when he's not in our bed.

For the first while the baby will be in a bassinet with me or beside me - but when (s)he outgrows that, is it horrible to be probably 50-50 in a playpen bed?

I would just rather have that extra space for them to play, as ds and new baby will be sharing a room when he's out of ours.

Thoughts?

Expert Forum User

I don't think that it's horrible. A playpen is the exact same thing as a crib really, just the mattress wouldn't be as comfortable. Maybe find some way to make the pad of the playpen a little more cushy, that's really all the suggestions that I have. Other then that, I don't see a difference, especially if you're planning on putting him/her in a toddler bed at 16 months.
    Oh, I should mention that DS was in a toddler bed at 19 months, and DD is 16 months and no where near ready for a toddler bed. So, maybe this baby won't be ready as quickly.
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Playpens are not nearly as comfortable as crib mattresses. DS hated his playpen.

Expert Forum User

Not horrible. I think if it weren't for the fact the crib we bought is a convertible, it would have been a total waste of money. Honestly, you could even just take the mattress from the toddler bed and put that on the floor for him/her.

MM
    *sigh*

Breastfeeding Success Essentials:
    SUPPORT ~ EDUCATION ~ DETERMINATION

Beat the "Booby Traps" to Breastfeeding Success!

~The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'~

~Do or Do Not. There is no try.~
    Yoda

Expert Forum User

Both my kids didn't sleep very well in the playpen.... but maybe they are weirdos!

"The secret to having it all... Is knowing you already do."

Expert Forum User

I should add that both my children sleep very well in playpens, however, they are big kids, so DS outgrew our playpen around 15 months, because we had one of the regular size ones, not the huge ones.
    Danielle
    Mom of 4

Baby's dont really ned much of anything - food clothes and diapers. Thats all they 'need' and the rest is either helpful or a money grab for some company lol. What ever works for you and your fam will be perfect!

Expert Forum User

playpen is fine imo but i found out thru work that theres been situation with the netting on the playpen being ripped and such but as long as the playpen is in good condition then i personally dont see a problem. my 2 year old currently sleeps in the playpen and theres no problems with that(except she climbs in and out of it lol)
    April - Mommy to Ivy, Sophia & Ryker

keep in mind, the playyards recommend that you don't put any extra padding in at risk of suffocation...

so safety blurb aside, in his playpen at home, i have a piece of 2“ medium density foam that he sleeps on. LOVES IT. he used that for 2 weeks when were were in NS and slept like he was on a mattress.

Quote Originally Posted by Carters'Mom View Post
    Both my kids didn't sleep very well in the playpen.... but maybe they are weirdos!
    nope. when we were in edmonton M slept in a borrowed playyard and he HATED IT. i'll spare you my rant on awful i think those pads are for extended sleeping.
    My little man was born on Oct 12/08 at home into Dad's loving hands.
    My little lady was born on July 28/11 at home... Daddy was busy keeping mom company.

I have 1 baby Santa Suit for Sale 0-3 months (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/vbclassif...&memberid=2201) or to Trade (http://forum.londonmoms.ca/104323-tr...it#post1592622). Thanks for looking!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! eversoclever's Avatar

I would only be concerned about it being drafty/dusty and spending so much time near the floor. Not that I'm making a comment on your housekeeping, foxi. I considered the same thing, but decided I wanted my babies further away from my beloved dust bunnies.

I would be concerned that the padding in a pack and play wouldn’t be as supportive as a crib mattress. I have crazy back problems, so I want to make sure that his/her little spine is supported.

Also, eversoclever’s point about the baby being so close to the floor is a good one. I’m also not suggesting you have dust bunnies, but it can be cold and drafty (esp. If you have hardwood/tile).

If you have a hard time with the crib taking up too much space, there are such things as ‘mini cribs’, they aren’t as wide. You may have to order online, but I’ve seen them on the target website.

I have never had a crib, nor a playpen. I probably wouldn't use a playpen instead of a crib, but you definitely don't need a crib IME.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

My DD does not sleep in her play pen... we are hoping that she will learn to like it on road trips now that she has outgrown her bassinet but so far, no go.... We got a crib but made sure it was a convertible one... that way we were not throwing away all that money for a crib that would be only used for a little bit.
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

Expert Forum User

I don't think you are horrible for not thinking you need a crib. Our DD liked her playpen until about 7 months and then hated it.

Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

I just think of how far DOWN they are to lay a sleeping child!!! But no you dont NEED a crib!
    Your life is a result of the choices you make, if you don't like your life it's time to start making better choices.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast