Default Passing the knowledge

Alright... so I'd like to know what is the roles of the various other daddies in their kids lives. What skills are you bringing to the table, what knowledge is being passed down?

I've currently got limited access to a couple of mine and don't have a whole lot of time to spend with them, but I do what I can.

I got my first for which I trained in art, she has the skills and abilities of an adult and is only 12. This seems to be her strong point as she receives the most praise for it. But she is equally trained in the maths and sciences in preparation for her preferred future job as a Marine Biologist.

I've got my second into the pixel art and beginning to code her very first game at the tender age of 9. She has developed a story line, characters, art, and musics all set up already to go. We just have to have a chunk of time to start putting it altogether.

For my little one who is 4, it is all about the blocks. Building and creating something out of nothing. He has a fantastic grasp of how to put things together and is doing way more then I had ever expected. Recommended 7+ age my eye.

This is on top of the other standard stuff like learning how to bike, and skate, and scoot. As well as throw/catch various balls and frisbees... Use the interwebs safely... manage monies... basic cooking instruction. Soon I will be able to teach them the kung fu... which I did promise them when they were 12 or more.

Personally, I got the visual art ability from my dad, so I'm just passing that along as best as I can. So, I'm ever so curious if there are any apprentices out there? What skills are being passed down? What skills should be handed down from father to child... am I missing some?

sounds like you have a lot to be proud of

Sorry, I seemed to have missed this post all those weeks ago...

I am a practicing designer/artist... I don't know where it came from, neither of my parents were artistic to the same degree...

It doesn't come easy to me, I have/still work at it... I'm a trained illustrator who practises graphic design and digital illustration as a way to make money... maybe not exactly the profession I had planned, but it's a living.

I will probably encourage my child (children) to take up the paints and palette, or at least the crayons and paper when it comes time...

I'm personally of the mindset that “anyone can play guitar“ (as the saying goes), some people are just better at it than others...

Will I persuade them to get into the artistic field as a discipline...? I don't know...

It's a hard way to earn a living and be truly fulfilled, especially if you dream of vacations and a steady pay check... I've seen a lot of my comrades dreams of having a piece in Times or Rollingstone or pieces of chosen as of merit in award mags like Communication Arts or American Illustrators, evaporate when they see how much work is involved and how stiff the competition is... It's a tough life if you can stand it.

If your clever and think outside of the box, there is a great way to make a nice dollar in art.. People like Homestarrunner.com, NatalieDee.com or Diesel Sweeties make a tidy profit, marching to their own drummer, fill niche area's and are quite capable of living off of their art, and all of their art is quite unique.

I'd rather my child(ren) be happy and learn skills/knowledge that they can apply to chase their dreams... I will pass along my skills and knowledge and I hope they will be receptive to them.

I don't think I will force them into something they don't have any interest in, just because I liked it, if my son wants to be a mechanic, I will do what I can to support his interest by getting involved with it as best I can.

I love music and used to play in a couple of rock outfits... I will definitely encourage my child(ren) to enjoy that facet of life... I remember the first song I played in full with a live band (2 guitars, drums, vocals) and I get shivers when that song comes on the radio.. There is nothing better, than cranking up the amps and letting loose playing your favourite songs... Exhilaration!!

Music and art are two great methods to teach children to expand their horizons and be receptive to new ways of learning... It's a different way of thinking, unfortunately being overlooked in many school systems nowadays...

I think the best skill you can pass on to a child is the qualities that aren't taught in a trade school, classroom... Critical thinking, street smarts, manners and good morals. Teaching a child how to be a good person is more important than getting them into any ivy league school, in my opinion!

My dad is a mechanic, and I was verboten to help him work on the car, build a go kart with him etc...

My mother is a nurse, so I learned not to complain about something unless it was a: falling off, b: rotting off, and c: bleeding a lot...

I was also into sports as a child, I loved competitive hockey, tennis and soccer, but I disliked baseball unless we were playing a stickball / pickup game... My mother was an ace badminton player in high school...

I probably haven't answered your question... but I don't think I'm in the position to tell you how to raise your children !

Wat... heh.

Well, I did drop the ball on minor life skills. After the first day of JK my little guy had no capacity to get the straw off the box, and no capacity to get the straw out of the plastic, and then to get the straw into the juice box without a squeezed mess.

On the other hand, I did download Lego Digital Designer. Which he excels at using. Which I am blown away by that as it's about as close as one is going to get to using a fully functional CAD program. There will soon be a thread with many of his creations in it.

The trigger to this thread is that I would like to load them up with as much information about as many things as I can so that they know what they can do later on. Give them as many chances as I can as a parent. This is inclusive of all those hard skills as well as soft skills. (more Corporate terminology). I've seen several other family situations where the parents are the limiters on what the kids have for potential. Sometimes by not being able to provide it, or they have alternative plans for their kids. I had one of these plans in place for me to take over the family business and I would have nothing of it.

Before having kids, there was an episode of the Wonder Years which has stuck to me for a long time afterward. It's the one where Kevin learns to play piano. The big speech at the end is how he thought that kids start out with the potential to know or do anything... and one by one, life event by life event, something in their life closes the door on them growing up. So he quits piano due to their being a better kid them him playing the same song at a recital. He could have been a musician and been very happy with it, but opted out at a young age.

The theory is that everyone at the beginning has every option open to them, they can be good at anything they choose, and be happy with that choice. Those options are slowly removed for one reason or another while growing up. I'd like to give my kids as many options as I can give them.

I also make the assumption that teachers can and will only teach so much... unless I get some professional teachers which cost too much for me. So I better get in there and do some teaching of my own... I mean I am responsible for the wee ones.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by bacon View Post
    The trigger to this thread is that I would like to load them up with as much information about as many things as I can so that they know what they can do later on. Give them as many chances as I can as a parent. This is inclusive of all those hard skills as well as soft skills. (more Corporate terminology). I've seen several other family situations where the parents are the limiters on what the kids have for potential. Sometimes by not being able to provide it, or they have alternative plans for their kids. I had one of these plans in place for me to take over the family business and I would have nothing of it.

Before having kids, there was an episode of the Wonder Years which has stuck to me for a long time afterward. It's the one where Kevin learns to play piano. The big speech at the end is how he thought that kids start out with the potential to know or do anything... and one by one, life event by life event, something in their life closes the door on them growing up. So he quits piano due to their being a better kid them him playing the same song at a recital. He could have been a musician and been very happy with it, but opted out at a young age.

The theory is that everyone at the beginning has every option open to them, they can be good at anything they choose, and be happy with that choice. Those options are slowly removed for one reason or another while growing up. I'd like to give my kids as many options as I can give them.

I also make the assumption that teachers can and will only teach so much... unless I get some professional teachers which cost too much for me. So I better get in there and do some teaching of my own... I mean I am responsible for the wee ones.

I agree- my parents tried to cultivate our interests instead of putting their agenda on us. My brothers and sisters are all doing totally different stuff in our lives. I see a lot of “limiting“ being placed on my niece (in-law side) and it's sad. And it's not financial reasons at all- she wanted to play hockey when she was 6- Dad said No, doesn't want her to be a dyke (said this to me, not in front of her and his words, not mine) I was shocked. So she is in figure skating, and golf- which her Dad spends a lot of time doing. She wanted to play soccer last year like every other kid in town- wasn't allowed.

I want DS to try lots of things, and then let him focus on what he decides he likes. Sports-wise/outdoor stuff we have things covered. But for music- I sucked, and only played the flute for 1 year, can't read notes, etc. so I want to offer the option of lessons (piano/guitar/drums, whatever) to him. On the other hand I want to be careful to not push a ton of things on him at once.