Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast
    Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Default Do kids have to go to school full time? *Last day of school update 160

I thought I remembered you could choose to send them part time to public school if you want. This was from a friend's experience years ago so I'm fuzzy on it. I mean, obviously it's not a common choice, but I thought it was legally an option?

Grade 1 starts tomorrow. *Gulp.* Just trying to get a feel for all our options... 6.5 hours/day, 5 days/week, seems like an interminably long time. Mornings would be nice.
    Last edited by myrrah; 06-29-2010 at 08:11 PM.

Expert Forum User

I think it is a grey area ... it gets very 'fuzzy' on the funding and how the school is supposed to record attendance!

There must be more parents who are wanting 'part time' school ... cause there is a new document that came out for this school year regarding how to record attendance for it ... however whether principals and teachers on the FRONT LINE are caught up with that or 'old school' with the if you enroll in school you must attend everyday type thing.

Here is a document I found on line around 'funding' for people who homeschool but want part time school instruction ... so if there is a funding formula for it 'should' be allowed .... but I have no first hand expereince with it
    There is a little blurb about it on page 6 ... regarding homeschooling - but it is vaque.

http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/documen...ol/212372e.pdf

Sorry I am not more helpful - hopefuilly someone else is more in the know

Thanks TA, that is totally helpful!

Banned

Whenever someone (usually not associated with the school) has talked to me about DS1 going back, it has always been with starting off on half days. But the intention has always been to build up to full days, just with a gradual start.

I really don't see it being an issue. If it is best for your LO
    Do you plan on doing it all year or starting off like that and working her into full days and some point through the year ykwim

cross posted with the good Dr
    Becky Mom to X and C

When A. went to that school the principle and teacher suggested letting her just come some days and stay home others. They said they would be completely flexible about it. Granted it was JK but I am optimistic that if you have issues the school will be willing to work with you.
    Last edited by doulamom; 09-09-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    Mom of 2 girls, unschooler, feminist, runner and just general lover of life.

Need a doula or prenatal classes? www.babeezeinarms.com

"Me thinks that the moment my legs began to move, my thoughts began to flow."
    - Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Well we are planning to start out full time and not present part time as an option or anything. But I just know her and have a hunch full time will be too much. To pull her out entirely would lose all the benefits of school (for our family, coz I'm lazy and I like her to have other stuff going on than just me and her dad), and we would be scrambling to find childcare. If full time is too much, knowing we could just put her in for mornings, say, would be a real weight off our minds.

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    the principle and teacher suggested letting her just come some days and stay home others. They said they would be completely flexible about it. Granted it was JK but I am optimistic that if you have issues the school will be willing to work with you.
    Oh that is awesome to hear!
    Last edited by myrrah; 09-09-2009 at 09:14 PM.

I know it doesn't always sound like it, but my experience with the administration was very positive there. I found they genuinely wanted things to work and even when I decided to withdraw her they completely supported me in that. I hope you find the same.

- Henry David Thoreau

"
    Children are not our own art products to be turned out well, but their own life work in continual process. -Jan Fortune Wood"

Quote Originally Posted by doulamom View Post
    I know it doesn't always sound like it, but my experience with the administration was very positive there. I found they genuinely wanted things to work and even when I decided to withdraw her they completely supported me in that. I hope you find the same.
    Oh yay, I hope so too. I called on Friday to talk to the teacher about M's anxiety, and the teacher wasn't in, but the secretary was very friendly and said she is personal friends with the teacher and will talk to her this weekend. I really liked that, felt very friendly and personable.

The program is very community oriented and the administration supports that. I think you will find that you get a lot of support.

- Henry David Thoreau

"

Banned

I have no idea , But I just wanted to wish M a happy first day of school, I hope she makes fast friends and enjoys herself

Pretty much, they want funding. So if you can get the teacher on board to understand your reasoning, and are willing to either set up a schedule or call ahead so they always have verification of when she is or isn't going to be there, they shouldn't relaly dispute it much.
    I know here, there are a few parents who (like me) think three year olds in school full time (jk here is all day, every day) is ridiculous. So they just kept going with half days for jk and some for sk. This I find out after he's done, sigh.
    Just picked them up at lunch time, and didn't bring them back after it. (Some kids go home for lunch here).

And also if she's got some special needs (and I don't know if she has any official diagnosis or not, but you can always get one if need be, just to make things go your way ) they can't really say too much - that would be discrimination, right? If she has anxiety issues, and full days makes that worse for her, half days is accomodating...y'know, like a wheelchair ramp for the child who is wheelbound, or the EA for the child who requires it, etc.

Good luck.
    I was thinkikng of your dd the other day wondering how it went, but then remembered you guys don't go back til this week.

My son is having 'breakdowns' his teacher calls it, so that's kinda what made me wonder how yours was doing. If mine who has done the whole day thing before, is melting....I worried how yours was, being new to it entirely. *hugs*
    DD1 age 7 DS age 11
    "I will remember you." July/10
    Baby Elaina born October 28th, 2011. Making every single day that much more special.
    INTERESTED IN BUYING DVDS OF OLD KIDS' SHOWS. Mr.Rogers', Mr.Dressup, Polka Dot Door, etc

Ana
    Expert Forum User

I think it depends on the principal of the school where the child is going.

Administrator Site Admin

Have you considered starting with half days? I would think that if you are trying to make it as positive as possible for her and you already suspect that the full days might be too much then I would send her for the mornings and have her come home for the day at lunch for the first little while till she is settled in. You can gradually increase the time she spends there.

I just think that you are maybe setting yourselves up for failure by asking her to handle more than you think she can. It will be harder to get her to accept school once she has had a negative stressful experience.

Just something to consider! Good luck whatever you decide!
    Leslie

Page 1 of 12 12345611 ... LastLast