Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Expert Forum User

Default Starting solids; will she still nurse enough?

we are JUST starting solids this week...just a couple teaspoons of cereal so far.

i didn't feel this paranoia with ds, but i do with dd since her weight gain has been pretty low.

will she still nurse enough? how do i know if she's still taking enough milk?

i feel like dd is my first baby all over again, lol
    "My mind is going a mile an hour."

i can only go fom my experience but dd still want boob after every meal hehe i think you're supposed to offer boob before cereal ...good luck!

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

yep- bm before solids
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

How old is she?

Some ppl say skip the cereal, they can't digest it, go right to fruits and veggies, just food for thought. That's what I did both times (well I did some cereal with Z but then I heard that again and stopped it).

I would nurse first, then do solids. I dunno, I was really nervous about starting solids with Z, but tho she likes food, she is still a serious boob addict, even at 15 mos.

You can start solids and just see how it goes, yk? See how she takes to it, and how nursing goes once she is eating solids, just kinda monitor it and see what you think.

Super Moderator The Ultimate London Mom!

We had the same concerns with Madi as obviously she has been quite small etc... what we were told (and have been following) nurse (or in our case bottle) feed her first. Let her get full from that... than give the cereal, solids etc.. as an add on.... Seems to have been working for us..... Good luck. This was the one area of parenting so far that I felt so confused on!
    *~* The point isn't whether they lived happily ever after, the point is that they lived*~

exactly...breastfeed first..they wont take enough when you first start off to really count as eating..its more like tasting.
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Expert Forum User

ITA with pp. Offer milk first and then the cereal/solids. The new food is just to taste and kinda like a dessert not the main meal.

Expert Forum User

thanks for the feedback...i'm feeling reassured so far it's just a couple of teaspoons of watered down oat cereal at supper time. and i make sure to nurse her first.

she's been showing SO MUCH interest in the past month or so...constantly watching anything we put in our mouths and reaching out to try it. and she seems to be enjoying hte experience so far...i don't think DS was like this.

Quote Originally Posted by myrrah View Post
    How old is she?

Some ppl say skip the cereal, they can't digest it, go right to fruits and veggies, just food for thought. That's what I did both times (well I did some cereal with Z but then I heard that again and stopped it).

I would nurse first, then do solids. I dunno, I was really nervous about starting solids with Z, but tho she likes food, she is still a serious boob addict, even at 15 mos.

You can start solids and just see how it goes, yk? See how she takes to it, and how nursing goes once she is eating solids, just kinda monitor it and see what you think.
    she's just 6 months now...i think i waited longer with DS but i can't remember for sure. i think he was more like 8 or 9 months before he really accepted any solids..i just tried every few days or every week or two. she seems pretty eager though.

i didn't know i could go right to veggies and fruits....i think i'll try that as well. did you use jarred stuff or just the fresh stuff?

i don't know why i'm so nervous this time. i think it's because ds was so obviously a boob addict..i knew he was always going to choose that first, lol. but DD is just SO mellow and easy going....and not a crazy nurser the way he was.

Quote Originally Posted by Happily Ever After View Post
    We had the same concerns with Madi as obviously she has been quite small etc... what we were told (and have been following) nurse (or in our case bottle) feed her first. Let her get full from that... than give the cereal, solids etc.. as an add on.... Seems to have been working for us..... Good luck. This was the one area of parenting so far that I felt so confused on!
    okay, thanks at least i'm on the right path, lol..i do remember the little booklet about starting solids from the health unit really helped me with DS. i still have it i think...maybe i should look it up.

I did bananas first actually. Just take a banana and mash the crap out of it, add some breast milk to make it even runnier and feed.

I made all of mine (including cereal which we did later). Feel free to ask anything about it.
    Mommy to DS Jan '06, DD July '09, DS Feb '11, DD Dec '12
    Wife to my wonderful DH of 8 years
    http://handsbetterfull.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
    i think you're supposed to offer boob before cereal ...good luck!

yep, BM first, then top her up with some food. the nurse told me today that at this point (when they are starting) the milk is still the most important.

Expert Forum User

If your LO is 6months you can skip the puree in general...lol I know scary for most, but at that age they can grab the food anyhow. I just introduced fruits, veggies that were soft and easy to grab. We bottle fed, and always offered the bottle first, than the food.
    DS is now 10months and can feed himself anything and using a spoon most days, until of course he gets bored with it, than back to the hands.
    A by the book mama to a completley healthy DD Dec.2002 and doing it all different, BWng, CDing, BLWing, crunchy mama to an equally healthy DS Nov.2008 apparently a cosleeping mama DS Aug. 2011

Expert Forum User

Yep I agree with the others, bm first before solids.
    With my first two we did it by the book, this time “food before one is just for fun“ took a lot of pressure off ourslves to get him to eat. He's nursing just fine an dhe's a big lad for six months, he's over twenty pounds so he aint suffering.

He takes intersest in what we are eating so we just give him a bit of whatever is on our plate, sometimes he'll taste it other times just throw it around

Candace~ Christ-clinging, babywearing, tiedying, barefoot, nature loving, crunchy mamma of three~

BM then solids and start with easily digested vegetables.
    Vanessa Case RHN
    Registered Holistic Nutritionist
    www.ournaturalconnection.com
    Creator of 10 Day Whole Food Detox!
    FB: www.facebook.com/ournaturalconnection
    Twitter: vanessa_onc
    Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/vanessacaserhn/
    BLOG: www.ournaturalconnectin.com/apps/blog

Any comments made on this forum are expressed as a personal opinion and comment. A full professional assessment is necessary to make proper recommendations specific to YOUR needs.

Expert Forum User

Quote Originally Posted by princess2808 View Post
    I made all of mine (including cereal which we did later). Feel free to ask anything about it.
    wow...i sucked as a first time mom, LOL. i find myself wondering why i was so overwhelmed with finding time to do pretty much anything that whole first year after DS was born. i made some food but not even most. i may be asking you more questions soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs.Crunchy View Post
    Yep I agree with the others, bm first before solids.
    With my first two we did it by the book, this time “food before one is just for fun“ took a lot of pressure off ourslves to get him to eat. He's nursing just fine an dhe's a big lad for six months, he's over twenty pounds so he aint suffering.

He takes intersest in what we are eating so we just give him a bit of whatever is on our plate, sometimes he'll taste it other times just throw it around

My DD is 6months and only 14lbs DS was way chunky by this age, but she's very petite and i think that's why im feeling a bit more freaked out about the feeding. i don't want to upset any balance or anything...i like that saying that you've mentioned though....that's an easy one to remember

for instance: tonight she had 2tsp of cereal at supper....she may have had more though; as long as she has nursed before the solids, do i just give her as much as she wants??

this already seems like it will be VERY different from the experience with ds. he wasn't keen on solids at all until well past his first birthday....he was attached to the boob. and on top of it, in hindsight i realize he probably had some oral-motor issues related to being preemie. i had nothing to compare to, so that was my normal. but i can see it's going to be very different with DD. she's already eager and managing the cereal well...i think she's more ready than i am

i think there's something about breastfeeding for me.....i dont know how to explain it, but the feeling that she has only been fed by *ME* so far...there's something intimidating about the idea of outside foods, like i'm damaging her or something, it's ridiculous, i know....i totally can't explain it at all either, lol.

what was her birth weight?
    jennifer mommy to 4 amazing kids!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast