Default thinking about going to school?????

My mat leave ends in january and was thinking about going to medix...

has any one gone?? will i find a job soon after or am i going in to debt for no reason???

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

Medix for what? Some career schools are scammy, and for some careers they are totally unrecognized by the industry they are supposed to serve, but it varies according to profession.

EI may well pay your tuition or most of it, and possibly living expenses. But I would ask around to people who actually work in the area you want to before bothering, because the school will tell you they have a 97% placement rate and they are THE source for whatever you consider taking...

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom!

I agree, depends what you're taking. They offer a Social Service Worker program there and I know people who have taken it and Medix certification for SSW means absolutely nothing in the field.
    I actually met a woman the other day at the library--she told me she was enrolled in that program and that she was going to get her Social Work degree. And I said, oh, you mean a certificate? And she said, no Medix gives you a degree, just like university. I tried to tell her but she wouldn't listen. You'd think she would know what she's getting from the school...
    I have heard good things about Medix too, but I think a lot of the getting a job part has to do with who you know, your connections, etc.
    I considered going to Westervelt a few years ago, and didn't partly because I felt that they were trying very hard to sell me something, not to educate me.
    I used to work with a woman who did admissions for one of the career colleges, and she told me she had to quit her job because she felt it was unethical--the amount of money they charge for tuition in return for what students are getting.

i wanted to do Pharmacy Assistant program or Medical Office Assistan program..... any one take ethier on of them? and are you doing that now?

I'd be very weary of anything there because they don't require you to have any previous education and for the most part, will let anyone into their programs who has the money to pay the tuition. You can't just get into Western without a good highschool average but you can get into Westervelt without even a highschool diploma so it's definitely not equal to obtaining a recognized degree. I also haven't heard of anybody getting less than a 95% average from a Westervelt or Medix program which to me is a warning flag signalling a scam because it means they are just handing out marks in exchange for money. I know people with dental assistant “diplomas“ from there who can't get a job doing anything in that area & who have ended up going to Fanshawe after anyway. I'd recommend doing it the slower way & enrolling in Fanshawe which will give you a recognized diploma when you are done.

yeah thanks for the advice..i think im going to look at a fanshawe book....

Expert Forum User The Ultimate London Mom! mamabear's Avatar

I know 2 people who went there for PSW who now have jobs as PSWs. But you can do that way cheaper now at Wheable. Other than that I don't know, and def. would go with Fanshawe if you have the option.

About 10 years ago I was going to go to Medix for my PSW. It was going to cost almost $5000. When I inqired about the same program at Fanshawe it was just under $1500. A HUGE difference. It was well worth losing my $25 deposit at Medix for. And the diploma means more from Fanshawe IYKWIM.
    Sarah, Mommy to Lindsay October 8, 2003, Logan November 23, 2006 & Cohen September 18, 2010

sometimes the diplomas issued from those places aren't recognized by certain professions (their unions/colleges/etc.)
    i'd look into what you want to do/where you want to work and see if thats possible receiving your ed there. i've never known anyone to go there so i know nothing more about it ... i've just heard mixed reviews on career schools. good luck!!

Expert Forum User

I went to Westervelt in 2002-2003 in Networking/Computer Electronics and I have a job for TVDSB doing exactly what I went to school for. A friend of mine came from Sweden to go to school at Westervelt too (same course). He worked for Microsoft and is now working for CIBC in TO in IT. Pretty well everyone I went to school with (that I've kept up with), is doing great and all have good jobs in IT.

My DH went to Fanshawe as a Computer Technician and had a bit of trouble finding work. He graduated in April 2006 and didn't find full time work until Oct 2008.